Is anybody else going ?

Started by Dont mention Talk Talk !!, Aug 29, 2008, 14:01:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Julian said what! :mad: I will cut his fingernails off when I get hold of him the two timing so and so.

Edit: Smiley markup sorted
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Barndog

Sorry for butting in again, but ive been in touch with id net again about my speeds being dropped by more than half, and still have not got any help with this matter, also the phone not working with broadband, ive just bought new filters and unplugged sky and still the same, to be honest im getting a little cheesed of with this, most important is my speeds, im paying now for 2 mb speeds which i think is unacceptable for what i have to pay a month...thanks

Rik

What have support said/done?
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: Barndog on Sep 03, 2008, 18:11:37
also the phone not working with broadband, ive just bought new filters and unplugged sky and still the same

Well it sounds like a line fault to me. Something like that has nothing to do with the ISP. Have you told IDNet about this? I'd say you probably need an engineer round. Have you tried the test socket just to rule out internal wiring?

Barndog

Thanks Sebby, if they send an enginner round does that cost me money, surely it shouldnt as it now sounds like bts fault with their line, if i am charged do you know roughly how much they charge? and for Rik..I got a message from James saying he doesnt think its idnets fault, and it sounds like a line fault, just to make it clear i love idnet and would really like to stay, i just wish i had no problems and great speeds like before, should i mybe phone bt and explain the problem to them, then mybe they could sort it out with no charge, since its not my fault....thanks again

Rik

BT won't deal with you on an ADSL issue, Barndog. If they do send an engineer out via IDNet, and the engineer finds no fault or a fault on your side of the master socket, it will cost you about £169. :(

Unless you have multi-room, I'd suggest keeping the Sky box unplugged as they are notorious for causing ADSL problems. Where does your router connect, to the master, or a hard-wired extension, or via a 'loose' extension?
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It definitely doesn't sound like an IDNet issue to me. BT will charge if they find the fault is to do with internal wiring or any of your equipment, which is why I'd suggest you try to the test socket if you haven't already. :)

ducky22

Quote from: Sebby on Sep 04, 2008, 18:22:08
It definitely doesn't sound like an IDNet issue to me. BT will charge if they find the fault is to do with internal wiring or any of your equipment, which is why I'd suggest you try to the test socket if you haven't already. :)

What you also should try (assuming it still works) is the actual speed test. This bypasses IDNET's network entirely.

Change your username in your router to: speedtest@startup_domain
The password is ignored by the server.

Open up a browser and visit http://speedtester.bt.com

You should try it a few times at different hours of the day. This data is recorded (used to be anyway ;-)) by BT and they can bring this up through woosh (line test system).

ducky22

Full 8mbit sync, Home Supermax.

Steve

Quote from: ducky22 on Sep 04, 2008, 18:31:03

Full 8mbit sync, Home Supermax.

Wish I could get half of that at the moment. I have to spoken to support and sent all my BT speedtests and I have been asked to report back after the weekend if no improvement so :fingers: Funnily enough since I spoke to them the 2 day time Speedtests since have been down from the usual.
Steve
------------

ducky22

You should definitely try changing the username and then use the BT speed tester.

Steve

Quote from: ducky22 on Sep 04, 2008, 19:20:19
You should definitely try changing the username and then use the BT speed tester.

Kitz gives slightly different instructions http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm I will try this as it is important for me to try and identify who is responsible for the congestion I am suffering.
Steve
------------

ducky22

Both set of details should work.

Good luck!

Steve

I tried last night to connect to the BTw website to test my download  connection using the instruction above and also those illustrated on the kitz website. The router said I had connected but I was unable to access the website whether it was down,busy or not available any more I dont know.Mind you I couldn't access the normal way via my idnet connection.
Steve
------------