.net mail server down?

Started by gingerjedi, Sep 09, 2008, 19:08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

madasahatter

Quote from: Lance on Sep 10, 2008, 15:46:30
Indeed, communication to customers is the key  :)

It's like anything else in the service industry Lance - to do something isn't really enough - you have to be seen to be doing something to really make a difference  ;)

Lance

Exactly.

When there is a fault, it's good to have official communication confirming a fault, what it is (if possible and not too sensitive!) and what is being done to sort it out. I believe these sort of communications are the type that make people a lot happier than they otherwise would be.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

I absolutely agree, Lance.

Tacitus

Quote from: madasahatter on Sep 10, 2008, 23:56:08
It's like anything else in the service industry Lance - to do something isn't really enough - you have to be seen to be doing something to really make a difference  ;)

I agree with all that has been said.   However I think in some cases the problem lies with there being no 'official' out of hours service.  As I said in a previous post, it's good to see Simon posting here with updates, but out of hours when the staff probably consists of one person who's trying to fix the problem, answer the phone to others reporting other problems, and is then asked to ring everybody updating them might be a bit of a stretch at times.

I'm not saying iDNet shouldn't communicate they should, but I'm wondering whether there are things which are simply limitations of having (officially) 'office hours only' support.  It might be that people have to accept some limitations on what can be done out of hours.

Most of the ISPs with 24/7 support rely on script monkeys in Bangalore/Romania/Durban etc.  There's some that don't (O2?) but do they offer the same service as iDNet?

I don't know what the answer is really.   :) It might be useful if we knew how the out of hours system works.  Is there a rota for on call staff who are based at iDNet towers over the weekend?  IE there is one person (aka skeleton staff) available at iDNet towers during office hours 7/7?  If not perhaps that is a way forward although there is probably a cost to iDNet.

Rik

Afaik, Tac, one person is 'on call' out of hours, but can call on others as needed.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Maybe IDNet could use a text or auto callback feature with a generic messaging system letting you know an issue is fixed if you call in, If I had been out the other night (unlikely) and was using my DomainMail on my Phone and it had gone down, a text to say it failed or even a call to say that, and a follow up one to say issues were fixed would have been great, maybe something that could be a sign up for feature at a small extra cost, this way individuals are kept in contact without skeleton staff being stretched at weekends and at night?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

That should be easy to operate, Gary, as it's just an extension of the Network Status page and the RSS feed which already exists. If, of course, that is updated. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 11, 2008, 09:34:55
That should be easy to operate, Gary, as it's just an extension of the Network Status page and the RSS feed which already exists. If, of course, that is updated. ;)
Well maybe there is a way for a failure to kick in the Network Status then the text or callback service if it was implemented, surely some software could be written that comes into effect if a part of the system goes down updating the Network status?

Rik

It must be possible, Gary, but I don't know whether it would entail massive changes on the network software.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Sep 11, 2008, 09:41:21
It must be possible, Gary, but I don't know whether it would entail massive changes on the network software.
Maybe with the new phone package for IDNet customers it would be worth the time to do it though, I wonder if they would get swamped if peoples lines had issues so this would pay off in the long run?

Rik

Fair comment, to which I have no answer.  ;)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Fwiw, although I agree that they should call customers back regarding individual issues, on a wider scale problem such as the mail issue the other night, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to contact every customer, individually, who might have been affected.  We only know of the members here who called in, but for all we know, they could have received hundreds of messages.  What might be an idea, would be a general email to all customers, just to apologise to those who may have been affected.
Simon.
--

Rik

It doesn't even have to be an email, Simon, it could be done via the status page.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Sep 11, 2008, 10:20:11
It doesn't even have to be an email, Simon, it could be done via the status page.

I think you're right, but it's true only insofar as there may be a general problem - eg the mail servers are downl.  I was thinking more of user specific issues eg problems at the individual user's exchange or similar.  If these coincide with a more general one, the solitary support person might have their hands full for a time. 

Like I say I don't really know the answer although I wonder if some sort of ticket system might be an idea.  I've said before, I look at the way Clook do it.  They seem to manage and, judging by the responses to support queries, I don't think they have many more staff than iDNet.  (TBH I don't know how many staff iDNet have - only those listed on the web site).  That said, some of Clook's are based in Philly, so 'out of hours' in the UK is covered  from the US via the ticket system, so perhaps it's not a fair comparison.

Rik

I would hope, Tac, that if a significant general problem occurred, there would be a 'ramping up' of support personnel. I have seen this happen in the past.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Simon on Sep 11, 2008, 10:15:08
Fwiw, although I agree that they should call customers back regarding individual issues, on a wider scale problem such as the mail issue the other night, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to contact every customer, individually, who might have been affected. 

Completely agree Simon  :thumb:

Gary

I must admit I have had spotty DomainMail  issues tonight, it sometimes does not connect and I get the server error from the other night, performance is slow as well accessing the mail via pop3 sometimes :( not sure whats up, I'll give support a call on Monday if it continues, probably just a glitch.