How much roughly

Started by talos2, Aug 23, 2008, 15:26:41

Previous topic - Next topic

talos2

My neighbour has expressed an interest in getting onto the Internet and wants to know what it will cost,  she has just a computer and a telephone,  I can sort out the modem and such, but what are the charges for setting up the line for broadband and connecting to say Idnet and would they be able to arranged that for her?
EX Orange and proud of it.

Rik

Standard connection fee is £47, including VAT, Bob - but it's a one off, if she moved anywhere else, the migration would be free. After that, whatever package suits her best. You can refer her, which will get her £10 off her first month, and also a £10 credit to your account.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ann

The packages are here.. http://www.idnet.net/solutions/homeofficebroadband.jsp

Depends what she's planning on doing on the internet but maybe start at the lowest deal and see what happens.  If she gets hooked she can always upgrade.  15 quid a month is amazing when you think of it.  We were paying that years ago for narrowband.. LOL.. I feel so old  :o

Rik

I know just how you feel, Ann. I used to pay that for my first email address back in '84, with data and phone charges on top!
Rik
--------------------

Lona

Plusnet are doing a package where you build up your own package as you go.  It starts at £6.99.  My daughter is on it as she doesn't download large files and only uses it for surfing and email.

http://www.plus.net/

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Ann

I think if I were going to go for one of the main players it would be PlusNet. 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/13/plusnet_comeback_packages/

I like what the Product Development Director said "Our aim is to be the best tier 2 provider. Sensible people know 'free' is bo*****s."

:rofl:

talos2

Thanks everybody, loads of info for her there but it's her choice,  I just have to make it work (probably)

Ann

LOL yeah.. you'll just be on call for every eventuality.  I've been there, know that one.. good luck to you  :eek4:

Rik

It's what we do, Ann. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: Ann on Aug 23, 2008, 19:00:41
I like what the Product Development Director said "Our aim is to be the best tier 2 provider. Sensible people know 'free' is bo*****s."

I love that kind of approach, but whether they live up to their promise is another matter - the comments on The Register would suggest not, but then it's almost always only the disgruntled customers that are quick to leave comments anyway. :)

Rik

As we often find out. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I'm saying nothing... :whistle: ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Trust me, I left Plusnet because it was a load of Bo**ocks. ;)

Now part of BT..nuf said. :shake:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

It wouldn't be my first choice, In. Zen or Newnet I think...
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Inactive

If IDNet wasn't available, I would go to Zen.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

We are of like mind. :)
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Aug 24, 2008, 09:51:17
We are of like mind. :)

And another.  In the end it would be iDNet or Zen for me too.  Prices are much the same, so it boils down to individual preference on things like customer service.

Lona

Quote from: Inactive on Aug 24, 2008, 00:24:08
If IDNet wasn't available, I would go to Zen.

Same here, been with both and are excellent isps.

As regards Plusnet, you get what you pay for and for £9.99 I wouldn't slag it off too much. It's OK for folks who just want to surf.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Inactive

Quote from: Lona on Aug 24, 2008, 14:31:07

As regards Plusnet, you get what you pay for and for £9.99 I wouldn't slag it off too much.

I would, been there..T Shirt etc. ;D

g7pkf

why not set up a wireless connection.

let her use yours for a fixed fee and then you could afford to upgrade.

not ethical i know.

I had 8 people on my ntl 512K cable connection when it cost £40 a month!!! and 150 for the hardware.

neighbours all connected via cat5 (run along the guttering and with the old cable tv cables between), charged them £10 a month, i was quids in especially after they dropped the price to £20......then i got married and moved  :bawl:

Dangerjunkie

I got shafted by Plusnet... Wouldn't touch them with a 10ft sterilized one now.

My first choice would be IDNet but...

If you're looking for free does she have or is she thinking about getting Sky TV? If so she can get 2MB broadband (2GB cap) for free if she transfers her line rental to Sky LLU at £10 a month. That is the ISP formerly known as Easynet. From what I gather the service is pretty reasonable. She would need to buy a Sky+ box for £99 one off and they will give her any single entertainment bundle at £17 a month throwing in the router, a copy of McAfee  and free evening and weekend calls.

Cheers,
Paul.

talos2

Thanks Paul, but I think she has just ditched Sky in favour of Freeview. I'd prefer her to go Idnet, but that's up to her.