webpage size

Started by krysia, Sep 09, 2008, 17:59:42

Previous topic - Next topic

krysia

I've been meaning to ask this for a while:  some webpages fit my screen perfectly, while others are too large for it (including IDNetters) and I have to scroll to the right to see everything.  This happens whether I'm running Firefox 2 or 3 or IE7.  I use large large icons on my desktop - can that be the reason?  I don't understand why it happens to just some webpages and not all.

Rik

Different webpages are designed for different size displays, Krysia (though in an ideal world they would adapt). I have Firefox set at about 2/3rds of the screen width, say 1200 pixels, and the forum is fine at that. Using large icons shouldn't affect things, but changing the ppi settings for type might (default is 96, or 72 on lower resolution displays - I'm at 1920 x 1200).
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

krysia

Thanks, Rik!  How do I get into those settings?  And if I change it, will it make the screen sizes that now fit perfectly smaller than my screen?

Rik

The ppi settings are accessed by right-clicking an empty part of the screen, then selecting properties > settings > advanced. You're looking at the top part of the next window, where it says DPI. Normal is 96. Changing that will only affect the displayed fonts, it shouldn't affect graphics.
Rik
--------------------

Dopamine

What screen resolution are you using?

This forum will display as full screen at 1024x768, you'll need to scroll at 800x600, and anything higher will give margins down either side. Most, but not all, webpages will automatically adapt to fit your chosen resolution.

If you're currently using 800x600, which is small for most current webpages, changing to 1024x768 may well help and you can then use your browser's text size setting to make text readable.

Many people choose screen resolutions that do not match the optimum for their monitors, ie 1024x768 when the monitor should use 1280x1024. Not only does this reduce image quality slightly, but it will usually distort pictures too. Ideally, use a perfect circle to check whether your screen resolution is set correctly.

If this circle isn't circular, or the sides of the square measured with a ruler don't match, change your screen resolution to fix the problem.

psp83

Most websites are designed for res of 1024x*

At work we do most of our sites at 955px wide or fluid.

Sebby

What's your current resolution, krysia?

krysia

Thank you all for your help!  My resolution at the moment is 800 x 600, but Dopamine's circle doesn't look squashed on my screen (I can't measure the sides of the square, as I can't display the whole vertical side at once, but I think they're equal).  My dpi is normal 96.

Rik

Does your monitor support a higher resolution, Krysia?
Rik
--------------------

krysia

I can raise it as far as  1280 x 1024.

Rik

Try 1024 x 768, see how you find that. :)
Rik
--------------------

krysia

Thanks, Rik.  I just tried that, and I think I'll stick with the 800 x 600 resolution:  it was very disconcerting to see a black perimeter all around my desktop and then around every window I opened.  But it was good to give it a try - makes me more reconciled to scrolling!  :)

Rik

It's odd, if I dropped to 800x600, I'd be driven to distraction by the lack of space. Luckily, we're all different, Krysia. ;)
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

Use the monitor controls to stretch the screen so it fills all of it.

Sebby

Quote from: krysia on Sep 10, 2008, 12:13:29
Thanks, Rik.  I just tried that, and I think I'll stick with the 800 x 600 resolution:  it was very disconcerting to see a black perimeter all around my desktop and then around every window I opened.  But it was good to give it a try - makes me more reconciled to scrolling!  :)

Funny, that. I couldn't imagine using 800x600, yet it's what you prefer. That's what makes the world an interesting place, I suppose. :)

krysia

Quote from: vitriol on Sep 10, 2008, 12:45:53
Use the monitor controls to stretch the screen so it fills all of it.

I tried to do that, Vitriol, but couldn't see any way to stretch it so that it would fill the whole monitor screen - any tips?

It's funny what you say about the lack of space with 800 x 600, Rik, as the smaller screen size, smaller font/icons, and black borders around the screen when I went to 1024 x 768 made me feel very claustrophobic - as Sebby says, that's what makes the world an interesting place!

Ann

You shouldn't have black borders.  As the others say you need to go into the monitor's settings and stretch the screen to fit.  Flat screen monitors usually tell you what resolution they work best at and it's best to stick to that.  When you change resolution it does look odd for a while but you soon get used to it.  You must get rid of the black around the edges though.

vitriol

Most monitors have facilities to alter the horizontal and vertical size of the image on the screen.

If the monitor is an LCD type there is normally a button that says "Auto" or "Auto Adjust".  Change your resoluton to 1024x768 and then press the "Auto" button.  The monitor will automatically adjust the image to fit the whole screen..

krysia

I have an old-style cathode ray TFT Trinitron monitor - it doesn't have an auto button, but it does of course have a menu that allows you to change width, height, etc.  It's so many years since I'd set it up that I'd forgotten!

Rik

If you have the manual to hand, Krysia, check to see what resolutions it supports - it may be limited, and possibly doesn't support 1024, or only with a manual re-sizing.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

One other thing you could try, Krysia, is to switch to the Core theme - Profile > Look and layout preferences.
Rik
--------------------

krysia

Thanks for those two posts, Rik - yes, I'd have to manually resize the screen and, given that I may want to switch back, I feel a bit lazy about it!  I don't know what Core theme is but that sounds a simpler process and one easier to reverse.

Rik

It's just a different look and feel for the forum, you can change back and forth at leisure, no adjustments needed to the monitor.
Rik
--------------------

krysia

Thanks, Rik - I ticked the first box and that's helped a bit.  Now I can see names without scrolling! 

Rik

Rik
--------------------