.net mail server down?

Started by gingerjedi, Sep 09, 2008, 19:08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

gingerjedi

Is it?

I have 4 mail addressess set up, all the .com ones are working but the .net isn't receiving?

Simon

Sorry, I don't have a .net address to test.  Anyone else?  My .com addresses are definitely OK.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sobranie

Getting this for the last 1/2 hour. What's going on??

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.idnet.net.uk', Server: 'mail.idnet.net.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

psp83

it be back up soon.. someone just put the kettle on thats all  :whistle:

Bill

.co.uk seems to be down too- me, and there's another report over on tbb.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

SignLine

Seems it's down then, emails won't go from my work one which they host my website it works through or my private one at home, click on service stats, then click on emails ending in com or co.uk webpage cannot be displayed, thought I'd check on here so it seems it must be down but no info as to why

Simon_idnet

It seems that there is either a power problem of a problem with the switch in that rack. We have an engineer on his way.
Simon

Gary

My DomainMail is down with this message :The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Domain Mail', Server: 'pop3.idnet.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E  ??? Webmail interface is down as well  :(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Sep 09, 2008, 20:04:46
It seems that there is either a power problem of a problem with the switch in that rack. We have an engineer on his way.
Simon

Thanks, Simon.
Simon.
--

DAB Badboy

Normal service would now appear to hbave been restored.

Gary

Mine is working again, but slowly  :( at least its working
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Ann

Lance

Thanks Simon for the information.
Lance
_____

Sebby

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Sep 09, 2008, 20:04:46
Simon

Thanks, Simon, great service. :thumb:

madasahatter

Quote from: Sebby on Sep 09, 2008, 23:49:58
Thanks, Simon, great service. :thumb:

I agree that this particular fault was solved very quickly.

However, how many mail problems (for whatever reason) has that been in the last few weeks now? Are IDnet diverting money that would normally be spent on maintaining the network, on developing new services such as telephony?  :-\

Simon

To be fair, Mad, I would think power or switch problems can just happen, regardless.
Simon.
--

madasahatter

Quote from: Simon on Sep 10, 2008, 10:16:44
To be fair, Mad, I would think power or switch problems can just happen, regardless.

That's true Simon, but the rest of the mail problems lately haven't been power or switch related, and you can't deny there's been a few of them in a fairly short space of time. >:(

Could just be me getting paranoid I suppose......

Simon

No, I can't deny that, Mad.  I think this is the first time the domain mail service has been affected though, and it was fixed more or less within an hour or two.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

Maybe we're all a bit sensitised atm, Mad? Antennas are quivering for the slightest change. Yes, there have been more issues in the past year than either IDNet or its customers would have wanted, but with technology sometimes things just go wrong.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Sep 10, 2008, 10:54:32
but with technology sometimes things just go wrong.

Fully accepted Rik - it's just all beginning to make me wonder  :(

Rik

I can understand that, Mad, and certainly my second year with IDNet has seen many more problems than my first - in fact I can only think of one significant issue in the first year. Most of them, though, seem to have been unrelated - just an unfortunate coincidence.

How you prevent power supply issues, switches failing etc I am not sure. Perhaps the system needs more redundancy, but I really don't know. Clearly the mail server failure was a big issue, and hopefully lessons were learned from it - we know that the load is now spread across three or four physical servers, and that there is a spare available, ready to hot swap. The capacity issue is largely down to BT failing to deliver, but obviously that should have been IDNet's problem, not the customers, in an ideal world.

The one thing we do have, though, is the ability to talk to Simon & Tim and find out exactly what the problem is, and what's being done to resolve it. That's still worth a bit in my book. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: madasahatter on Sep 10, 2008, 00:29:32
However, how many mail problems (for whatever reason) has that been in the last few weeks now? Are IDnet diverting money that would normally be spent on maintaining the network, on developing new services such as telephony?  :-\

I can't argue with what you've said. It was just nice to see IDNet acting quickly.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Sep 10, 2008, 11:12:56
The one thing we do have, though, is the ability to talk to Simon & Tim and find out exactly what the problem is, and what's being done to resolve it. That's still worth a bit in my book. :)

I think it's worth a lot.  It's good (and much appreciated) to see Simon posting here in a timely manner to say what is going on.  Problems happen - it's when folks haven't a clue whether anyone at iDNet is trying to fix it, that the trouble starts.

madasahatter

Quote from: Tacitus on Sep 10, 2008, 14:36:57
it's when folks haven't a clue whether anyone at iDNet is trying to fix it, that the trouble starts.

Exactly the problem I had this last weekend tac. It turns out that they were, but I didn't know that, and unless I had contacted them to point out that I had had no contact from them, I would have been none the wiser.  ;)

Lance

Indeed, communication to customers is the key  :)
Lance
_____