dropped connection

Started by Baz, Sep 23, 2008, 15:17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshine

Hi

Okay, my connection has been dropping a few times over the last few weeks.  I put it down to a blip, and didn't want to cause a fuss, but tonight it's dropped twice already in the last five minutes!  This always scares the hell out of me when I get that dreaded "Internet Explorer cannot display page...." blah, blah, blah, because that used to be a common factor with my previous ISP - not that I'm mentioning names (you know, the one that's a very bright, sickly amberish colour with a Bangladeshi call centre).  I don't think I could cope experiencing all that again!

Now, I know I'm going to be asked to post my router stats, but I'm ashamed to say I haven't a clue how to do this  :-[.  I'd be really grateful if someone could explain to me how to do this?!

I don't know whether I should be concerned or not.  Usually it's such a stable connection, but just recently, I too have noticed drops.  I've been logging off and then restarting when this happens, and it has previously then corrected itself.  I'm reluctant to keep unplugging the modem lead, in case it cocks it up even more so!

I'm off to bed now, but will check back tomorrow to see if anyone is able to offer advice.

Many thanks all!!

Moonshine.

johnny5

I also lost internet connection for a couple of minutes at about 22.15, My dsl connection stayed though.

Maybe just part of that electronic mexican wave. ;D

Ray

Just checked my router logs and my connection went down at 22:06 and didn't come back until 22:35, are BT messing about again?  ???
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

I also lost PPP a little while ago.

Lance

Maybe our dodgy router is playing up again, which would explain ppp drops but not at all related to the adsl drops some people are reporting. I'm on my phone so can't check my router logs.
Lance
_____

esh

That's 3 drops in 2 days now. BT must be replacing the hamsters at my exchange.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Lance

The worrying thing is, what with!?
Lance
_____

Ann

Mine went again too.  22:06 but just for a minute.

anz1066

mine also went down at a crucial point in Cod4 lol only 5 mins or so.  :-\

LesD

Quote from: Ann on Sep 24, 2008, 23:01:33
Mine went again too.  22:06 but just for a minute.

This mirrors my experience too!  :(
Regards,

Les.

ST Driver

Hi

Down here again last night at 22:06 for a couple of mins

Steve
Steve
Grandad Racer

Rik

No drop here. I've had a word with support and they are checking their logs, but nothing was obvious when we spoke.
Rik
--------------------

markiep

So did mine a couple of times  between 22.00 and 22.30 - reset router and it was ok

petethegeek

I had one too...

QuoteWed, 2008-09-24 22:06:34 - LCP down.
Wed, 2008-09-24 22:06:43 - Initialize LCP.
Wed, 2008-09-24 22:06:43 - LCP is allowed to come up.

Only noticed it because I got a reconnect to the IM session I was on at the time.
"I have made this letter long, only because I lacked the time to make it short." - Blaise Pascal 1657

Rik

That's a loss of sync, Pete, definitely an issue between you and the exchange, nothing to do with IDNet.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

I wonder if some routers/modems drop synch when the ppp goes while others are more stable and keep synch.  The fact that petethegeek above dropped at 22:06 which is the exact time that others of us lost ppp is perhaps significant and not quite as simple as it seems. 

Rik

I've had a Netgear which didn't drop sync if PPP went down, Ann, hence my comment.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

There's no reason that a router should lose sync is the PPP session is dropped.

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Sep 25, 2008, 10:44:29
I've had a Netgear which didn't drop sync if PPP went down, Ann, hence my comment.

Mine definitely lost ppp and lcp and it took 29 minutes to reconnect, although I didn't know about till after the event as I wasn't at the PC when it happened.
Ray
--------------------

Sebby

That could be unrelated, though, Ray.

Rik

I've just had a chat with Simon, they've found a bug in the Cisco router software which is causing this problem. It will be patched in the next day or so.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Sebby on Sep 25, 2008, 11:07:53
That could be unrelated, though, Ray.

Agreed, Rik, BT are my favourite suspects at the moment.  :-\
Ray
--------------------

Rik

See above, Ray. IDNet have identified the cause.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

I don't think Pete's drop was BT at all.  I think his router just flipped and lost lcp when the ppp went.  The timing is just too coincidental.

People here are often far too quick to blame BT and let IDNet off the hook.  It doesn't help sort the problem.  As we have seen here IDNet now know they have a problem but had it been left to some to downplay it, it wouldn't have got sorted at all.

Rik

Some of us raised it with IDNet to get it looked at, Ann. ;)
Rik
--------------------