Terrible speeds, high pings (DoS attack?)

Started by RostokMcSpoons, Dec 28, 2006, 19:12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

RostokMcSpoons

This is a 'heads-up' for anyone having a bad 'net experience at the moment.

There are a couple of threads over at the thinkbroadband.com forums cos it seems a few people are suffering this.... a speedtest result of 0.5mbps (instread of my usual 6mbps), and pings of 400-500ms (to game servers and jolt.co.uk).

I've logged a call on the out-of-hours number.

If it really is a DoS attack, and it's really happened before, and it's going to keep happening... then damnit I'll have to find another ISP.  IDnet - I really hope you do something about this - everything so far points to this being an excellent ISP, but I'm after a consistent and good connection at the end of the day.

DorsetBoy

If it is a DOS attack it is something that no ISP has any real control over.

Moving ISP will achieve nothing,attacks are made all over the world,on every system at some time.What are you going to do,move each time someone is DOSd?

It is a major holiday and the load is stretching the entire network and that is a time when MAX will slow right down.
My neighbour is complaining that he can't play COD at the moment ,his adsl has almost stopped,he is on a fixed rate line through Tesco( not ADSL Max ) and never usually see slow downs.

There could also be a dozen other problems/line faults /breakdowns that are nothing whatever to with any particular ISP and BT could be struggling to get them fixed with less staff available.

maxping

Quote from: RostokMcSpoons on Dec 28, 2006, 19:12:48

If it really is a DoS attack, and it's really happened before, and it's going to keep happening... then damnit I'll have to find another ISP. 

You get the drama queen of the week award , well done :D

old Bill

Well the last few nights between 4-7 my speeds dropped down to well below half a meg.

DorsetBoy

4-7 pm is the peak time for PC switch on, ADSL Max is affected by the load on your line at any given time.
The fact that you notice a drop  at given times over several days could be a line /exchange problem but proves that the DOS theory is nonsense.

AvengerUK

RE: Dorestboy

Actually, some ISP's have fall-over's and DoS protected routers (NOTE: These do not stop the attack dead, but when configured and used correctly can help ease the effects..)

DorsetBoy

Quote from: AvengerUK on Dec 28, 2006, 20:50:09
RE: Dorestboy

Actually, some ISP's have fall-over's and DoS protected routers (NOTE: These do not stop the attack dead, but when configured and used correctly can help ease the effects..)

Quite correct and no ISP would last a day without full protection on their servers but nothing they do can stop the morons from making the attacks .Blaming an ISP for or moving because of a DOS will not change anything, it could happen anywhere.

If the speed problem was with one ISP and they have unresolved problems that is a different matter,most of us have moved because of problems, but before shouting DOS or ISP fault one needs to sit back and look at the wider picture.

No doubt someone from IDNET will post an answer here before long.

RostokMcSpoons

I've been with IDnet for little over a month, and so far it has not been plain sailing.   Up to now, it's not been IDnet's fault... and generally I'm very happy with the service.  But when I went to search the forums to see if I was the only one suffering tonight, I find mentions of an alleged DoS attack - to be precise that was the reason IDNet allegedly gave for a previous problem.  I have no better info than that.    I didn't see that 'shouting DoS' was a hangable offence in these parts, I was just trying to share a possible cause with other people.   Oh well.

Anyway.  If IDnet is frequently being attacked, and can't deflect those attacks and it actually affects my internet access, than I damn well will consider moving, because none of my previous ISP's have ever (that I can recall) used it as an excuse / reason / apology before, in the 8 years I've had broadband.  I can't have pings at 500ms happen cos it stops me playing DOD:S, the main reason I connect.

Now if that makes me a 'drama queen' in your eyes, Maxping, well I'd have to call you a 'fan boy' in return.  If the service ain't there I'll move on:  it's as simple as that.  Even if it's not the ISP's fault.

It's a lesson learnt from being 'loyal' to Eclipse for far too long.

Having said that, of course I'm not going to up-sticks   

Simon_idnet

A customer who hosts a large site with us had a problem with a mis-configured form that allowed spammers to relay through it. A very large volume of spam suddenly started flowing through this server which choked a couple of points on our network until we re-routed and then  stemmed the traffic while working with our customer to fix their configuration.
Apologies to anyone affected.
Simon

stevelondon

seems ok here

RostokMcSpoons

Simon, thanks for the info.  Everything is fine here now, glad it's a problem that could get sorted.

To everyone else - I apologise cos the tone of my last email was a little too defensive, and yes the first one might have read as a bit too 'dramatic'.   The points I were trying to make I stand by though....  I hope you can understand them. 

stevelondon

QuoteTo everyone else - I apologise cos the tone of my last email was a little too defensive, and yes the first one might have read as a bit too 'dramatic'.   The points I were trying to make I stand by though....  I hope you can understand them.

Don't worry about it mate trouble is most of us are all too used to being with previous ISP's that take months too sort things.

Best wishes for the new year.

drummer

Quote from: maxping on Dec 28, 2006, 20:11:19

You get the drama queen of the week award , well done :D
This response is a classic example of why I don't bother posting on this forum.

The message from simon indicates that the problem was similar to a DoS attack, yet RostokMcSpoons's post was dismissed as the ravings of a drama queen. 

Maybe maxping will be big enough to apologise for being so previous...

It would be great if this forum stopped being a chatroom, because yesterday when I suffered the same problems as RostokMcSpoons (dialup speeds and pings of about 400ms), this forum was the last place I thought of looking to for advice or guidance.  Not a great recommendation.

If anyone can be ersed to respond to this, try not to be too defensive or personal and maybe keep on-topic.  You never know, I might be impressed enough to start posting here again.  :laugh:
To stay is death but to flee is life.

RostokMcSpoons

Quote from: drummer on Dec 30, 2006, 02:33:40
This response is a classic example of why I don't bother posting on this forum.

The message from simon indicates that the problem was similar to a DoS attack, yet RostokMcSpoons's post was dismissed as the ravings of a drama queen. 

It would be great if this forum stopped being a chatroom, because yesterday when I suffered the same problems as RostokMcSpoons (dialup speeds and pings of about 400ms), this forum was the last place I thought of looking to for advice or guidance.  Not a great recommendation.

If anyone can be ersed to respond to this, try not to be too defensive or personal and maybe keep on-topic.  You never know, I might be impressed enough to start posting here again.  :laugh:

I think he thought my comment that I'd leave for another ISP was the dramatic thing.  And maybe it was ... a bit.      I stand by the comment though - if I don't get the service (even if it's not IDnet's fault) I won't stick around.  No-one will shed any tears, the world won't stop spinning etc etc.   All I want is a reliable high-speed internet connection.   It's simple really :)

maxping

What have i to apologise for even the OP admits his post was a bit over the top.

maxping

and maybe keep on-topic.  You never know, I might be impressed enough to start posting here again.  :laugh:

So the price of butter well .....................  :laugh:

Rik

Personally, I don't like butter, except in cooking. Prefer Flora on bread...  ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MoHux

Quote from: maxping on Dec 31, 2006, 19:35:32
So the price of butter well .....................  :laugh:

I expect that impressed him!!  ::)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Nerval

Quote from: RostokMcSpoons on Dec 28, 2006, 21:31:26
If the service ain't there I'll move on:  it's as simple as that.  Even if it's not the ISP's fault.

Right then, so here's my ultimatum to IDNET.  If my cats don't eat all their tea today, I'm off to join Orange.

Wot a load of rubbish  :banana2:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Nerval

That's Paddington Bear you're thinking about  :laugh:
It's ferret for tea for them today.
If they can catch him

Rik

LOL!

I used to be called Paddington because of my liking for marmalade - either that or people didn't know my real name was Euston! ;)

Is this the same ferret you were stuffing down your trousers on New Year's Eve? He really has upset you, hasn't he... :out:
Rik
--------------------

Nerval

No, they met a grisly fate and the cats want to catch their food on the hoof  :laugh:

Rik

As long as it was the ferrets and not you... ;)
Rik
--------------------

Nerval

thanks to wearing the trusty Reinforced Yorkshire Box during the act