It's not just us

Started by Rik, Oct 14, 2008, 10:36:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC is reporting that "Tens of thousands of Virgin customers have spent four days cut off from, or with little access to, their e-mail accounts after a suspected spam attack.

The problem affected a company which processes messages delivered through the Virgin.net platform.

All legitimate e-mails were held back when the "large" attack began on Tuesday evening so the spam could be removed, a Virgin Media spokesman said. "

Seems that IDNet fix things quicker than Virgin.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 14, 2008, 10:36:51
The BBC is reporting that "Tens of thousands of Virgin customers have spent four days cut off from, or with little access to, their e-mail accounts after a suspected spam attack.

The problem affected a company which processes messages delivered through the Virgin.net platform.

All legitimate e-mails were held back when the "large" attack began on Tuesday evening so the spam could be removed, a Virgin Media spokesman said. "

Seems that IDNet fix things quicker than Virgin.  :thumb:
I saw that, saying that the email servers must be much bigger than IDNets though Rik as they have a much larger consumer base I imagine, but that's not good for a big company like them :shake:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

It just proves that IDNet may be small, but they're good, Gary. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 14, 2008, 10:45:47
It just proves that IDNet may be small, but they're good, Gary. ;)
Cant argue with that, why do you think I still use their DomainMail  :thumb: now if they could provide me with ADSL2+......

Rik

If BT could provide them with ADSL2+...  >:(
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 14, 2008, 11:02:17
If BT could provide them with ADSL2+...  >:(
BT have really cocked this up badly >:(

Rik

It makes you wonder what they'll do with the fibre trials, do4esn't it. :(
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Oct 14, 2008, 11:08:56
It makes you wonder what they'll do with the fibre trials, do4esn't it. :(
I dread to think, Rik the cynical amongst us could say they will muck it up to prove we don't need it, the fact BT cannot see what applications need such speeds in these days of high definition video online etc baffles me

Rik

I think they see only the bottom line, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Quote from: Killhippie on Oct 14, 2008, 10:39:38
I saw that, saying that the email servers must be much bigger than IDNets though Rik as they have a much larger consumer base I imagine, but that's not good for a big company like them :shake:

I hope Virgin have more staff to look after their servers though  ;) Does their MD know what one is or how to fix it?
Glenn
--------------------

Sebby

Good point, Glenn. ;)

It certainly goes to show that sometimes, these attacks can have a huge impact even on large companies that probably have much larger setups.

Simon

Quote from: Killhippie on Oct 14, 2008, 10:39:38

Given that, you would have been forgiven for assuming they had a back up plan for a sick server.  Obviously, we don't know the full details, but one thing I will say for Pipex is, in the five years I was with them, email was never anything but rock solid and reliable.
Simon.
--