O2 ADSL2+

Started by SiPhi, Oct 14, 2008, 21:15:17

Previous topic - Next topic

SiPhi

Have had good service from IDNET for well over a year now, but reviewed my ISP needs in conjunction with telephone services.  This led me to switch to o2 where I thought I saw a fantastic deal for ADSL2+ @ £15.  :o

BIG MISTAKE!!!  :-[

Customer service and tech support with o2 is lousy, 2/10 is being kind to them.  My line gives up to 24 Mbs down, but with IDNET I was getting "only" 8 mbs down, usually 6 Mbs.

Also, on my small network of 4 users, with voip, email and www, I see no noticeable improvement whatsoever on speed.  I typically get 19 Mbs down, but it's just not noticeable.

The o2 wireless router supplied free proved to be defective, and they eventually sent me 3!  I was without connection for 3 days from switchover, and even now the service is dropping intermittently.

So at the risk of IDNETTERS whispering "I told you so", I regret switching away.  I would rather pay a few pounds more for quality service with IDNET. 

And in case anybody is wondering, I'm not on commission or payroll with IDNET!!!!  I am a real customer and can be reached at <advert removed - Rik>   ;)  If anybody from o2 is reading this, before you disagree or defend, call me, read the notes on my account.  I then authorise you to comment here on my case if you're not totally embarrassed.

Sebby

I think Be* is the one you should've gone for - they use the same network, but Be* is a lot more technical.

Inactive

A warm welcome to the forum....Have a karma.. :karma: :welc:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Simon

Better late than never... :welc:  :karma:

If you're not happy with O2, you could always come back to IDNet.  ;)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: SiPhi on Oct 14, 2008, 21:15:17
Have had good service from IDNET for well over a year now, but reviewed my ISP needs in conjunction with telephone services.  This led me to switch to o2 where I thought I saw a fantastic deal for ADSL2+ @ £15.  :o

BIG MISTAKE!!!  :-[

Customer service and tech support with o2 is lousy, 2/10 is being kind to them.  My line gives up to 24 Mbs down, but with IDNET I was getting "only" 8 mbs down, usually 6 Mbs.

Also, on my small network of 4 users, with voip, email and www, I see no noticeable improvement whatsoever on speed.  I typically get 19 Mbs down, but it's just not noticeable.

The o2 wireless router supplied free proved to be defective, and they eventually sent me 3!  I was without connection for 3 days from switchover, and even now the service is dropping intermittently.

So at the risk of IDNETTERS whispering "I told you so", I regret switching away.  I would rather pay a few pounds more for quality service with IDNET. 

And in case anybody is wondering, I'm not on commission or payroll with IDNET!!!!  I am a real customer and can be reached at www.theHRguy.com   ;)  If anybody from o2 is reading this, before you disagree or defend, call me, read the notes on my account.  I then authorise you to comment here on my case if you’re not totally embarrassed.

To be honest I dont know what happened, I'm with O2  and great customer care very fast speeds, but everyone has a different experience, and I never use routers provided by a company have a welcome  :karma: also I should point out you had Ethernet to connect you while your router was replaced, and my switchover from IDNet happened the same day, but glad you found what you like here
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Gary

Oh and a nice piece of advertising for the company ;)

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Sebby on Oct 14, 2008, 22:15:11
I think Be* is the one you should've gone for - they use the same network, but Be* is a lot more technical.

I've just migrated from Be*. I was with them for around four to five months and the first two months went reasonably well. After that things went down hill so fast it put me in mind of the previous eighteen months I'd just spent trying to get my MAC from Pipex.

To be fair I think Be* became the victim of their own success. They were without a doubt a good ISP but either over capacity or perhaps a change in practices when they were bought out by o2 has seen them go down hill very fast in recent months.

As an example my issue which was finally admitted to be caused by over capacity was initially put down to 'loud music'. Not a particularly good technical diagnosis of a fault I'm sure you will agree! In the end I had to leave because their best projection for upgrading the infrastructure was many months which would have left me with worse than 56K throughput at peak times on a 24MB service.

Like Pipex they started off well enough but it's all started to go horribly wrong for a large proportion of their customer base.
zap
--------------------

Rik

Loud music!! I'd never get a BB service. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Oct 15, 2008, 09:37:40
I've just migrated from Be*. I was with them for around four to five months and the first two months went reasonably well. After that things went down hill so fast it put me in mind of the previous eighteen months I'd just spent trying to get my MAC from Pipex.

To be fair I think Be* became the victim of their own success. They were without a doubt a good ISP but either over capacity or perhaps a change in practices when they were bought out by o2 has seen them go down hill very fast in recent months.

As an example my issue which was finally admitted to be caused by over capacity was initially put down to 'loud music'. Not a particularly good technical diagnosis of a fault I'm sure you will agree! In the end I had to leave because their best projection for upgrading the infrastructure was many months which would have left me with worse than 56K throughput at peak times on a 24MB service.

Like Pipex they started off well enough but it's all started to go horribly wrong for a large proportion of their customer base.
Yet to experience issues with O2 and customer reviews do not point to that yet, many people blame the ISP when its other issues as we all know (not saying you did) and Be are not adding new customers in congested areas now, if BT got their act together I would come back to IDNet for ADSL2+ but as it is my line is faster and more stable where I am for now, BT really need to pull their finger out >:(

Inactive

O2 and BE are owned by Telefonica Spain .. nuff said. ;D

It is almost inevitable that it will/would go downhill. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Spanish boots of Spanish leather sounded so much better than British banks of Spanish ownership. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Oct 15, 2008, 10:15:52
O2 and BE are owned by Telefonica Spain .. nuff said. ;D

It is almost inevitable that it will/would go downhill. ;)
Just like the whole of the UK Phone network owned by BT ;)

Inactive

Indeed Gary, tho' I have to say, BT are not in the same league as Telefonica Spain, nobody could be as bad as them. ;D

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Oct 15, 2008, 10:34:50
Indeed Gary, tho' I have to say, BT are not in the same league as Telefonica Spain, nobody could be as bad as them. ;D
I dont know much about them In , but what I have works for me so that's good enough for now, if I lived in Spain that may change though ;D

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Oct 15, 2008, 10:24:01
Spanish boots of Spanish leather sounded so much better than British banks of Spanish ownership. ;)

There speaks a Dylan fan.  Makes me feel quite nostalgic  :)

Inactive

If you lived in most parts of Spain, you simply wouldn't have any choice Gary. >:(

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Oct 15, 2008, 10:39:12
If you lived in most parts of Spain, you simply wouldn't have any choice Gary. >:(
Like Hull you mean, you can only get one broadband supplier, Kingston Communications has a monopoly there for some odd reason  ???

Inactive

Indeed, they also come bottom of the league tables in service standards, it goes back years when the local council owned the phone network.

Rik

Quote from: Tacitus on Oct 15, 2008, 10:38:40
There speaks a Dylan fan.  Makes me feel quite nostalgic  :)

Now playing. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Oct 15, 2008, 10:44:24
Indeed, they also come bottom of the league tables in service standards, it goes back years when the local council owned the phone network.
I wondered why, In only having a choice of one would really make me  :hairpull:

Inactive

Likewise Gary....

DarkStar

Quote from: Rik on Oct 15, 2008, 10:45:01
Now playing. :)

What's on at the moment then Rik?
What's your favorite Dylan period, or do you like them all, as I do. ;D

Ian
Ian

Rik

I like them all, Ian, I was very much into the folk/protest scene back in the 60s.  :)
Rik
--------------------

DarkStar

I was into folk back when, Dylan and Joan Baez. Later on I got into the Grateful Dead, still my greatest love along with Keith Jarrett. Going off line a bit here. Nearly got banned from one forum for not sticking to the original posted subject.  :whistle:

Ian
Ian

Simon

You won't get banned for that here.  I'm suprised they've not got on to food yet!  ;D
Simon.
--