C&W to buy Demon

Started by Noreen, Jun 30, 2008, 11:14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Quote from: somanyholes on Oct 01, 2008, 09:17:25
Even if i did couldn't really say.....

I thought that might be the case....  ;D

Glenn

Cable & Wireless are moving into the mobile phone business, Ericsson have signed an agreement with them to design, build and manage it for them.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Interesting... I wonder how that'll turn out. :eyebrow:

Glenn

They are also now involved with 3's network management
Glenn
--------------------

somanyholes

the big thing at cw at the moment is fixed mobile convergence. This uses the orange network. Theres a lot of interest in it as it uses the gsm network when in the office not 802.11x. This solves many of the issues with mobile convergance. I think c&w will do very well out of it. It can save companies a massive amount of money.

https://www.my-cw-portal.com/portal/dt?JSPTabContainer.setSelected=JSPTabContainer%2FProductsAndServices&JSPTabContainer/ProductsAndServices.setSelected=JSPTabContainer%2FProductsAndServices%2FEntPubSector&tid=1200418852113&mid=1200418852194&disp=L1P1-L2P9-L3P2&last=false

Gary

Quote from: somanyholes on Oct 01, 2008, 20:59:29
the big thing at cw at the moment is fixed mobile convergence. This uses the orange network. Theres a lot of interest in it as it uses the gsm network when in the office not 802.11x. This solves many of the issues with mobile convergance. I think c&w will do very well out of it. It can save companies a massive amount of money.

https://www.my-cw-portal.com/portal/dt?JSPTabContainer.setSelected=JSPTabContainer%2FProductsAndServices&JSPTabContainer/ProductsAndServices.setSelected=JSPTabContainer%2FProductsAndServices%2FEntPubSector&tid=1200418852113&mid=1200418852194&disp=L1P1-L2P9-L3P2&last=false
Well that will be no good here, Orange is a distant blip on the signal bar, even though their 3g coverage is very good on the whole, really a 900mhz solution would be better than a 1800mhz one, then not so many pico cells irradiating your head would be needed ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: somanyholes on Oct 01, 2008, 20:59:29

Interesting, but I wonder where this leaves the consumer division.  One way could be to treat it as a 'prosumer' service with enhanced levels of service at a premium price (unlikely) or simply sell it off and concentrate on the business/convergence side.

I believe they have around 90,000 subscribers which presumably includes business users, so the number of true 'consumer' users is probably relatively small.  I've had the impression over the last few years they're not really interested in the consumer side.

somanyholes

the consumer division will be looked after from what i understand, it won't just be sold off. So they should be fine as far as i'm aware.

Rik

If they do sell it off, it will go to Northern Rock. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: somanyholes on Oct 15, 2008, 15:37:29
the consumer division will be looked after from what i understand, it won't just be sold off. So they should be fine as far as i'm aware.

That's good to know.

Whilst Demon's prices aren't completely out of whack for what, despite BT's best efforts, is a generally reliable service, they could do with coming down a little.  Ideally support would return to the UK, but I won't hold my breath for that.....