WAP access to forum

Started by Simon, Nov 13, 2007, 19:17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

I use that quite a lot*, Lance, but the annoying thing is, I get logged out after about 30 seconds of inactivity, i.e. when 'texting' a post.  Do you know of any way round this?  I do tick the box to stay logged in, but it makes no difference.

* The forum's WAP interface - Rik
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I've never used it myself, but I will see what I can find out. It may be for Rik or Adam to sort out though.

edit: I've looked but haven't found. What happens if you don't tick the box to stay logged on? Does it still kick you off?
Lance
_____

Rik

Quote from: Lance on Nov 13, 2007, 19:29:49
I've never used it myself, but I will see what I can find out. It may be for Rik or Adam to sort out though.

Adam, I think. I have no idea whatsoever. :)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Using FF, I don't seem to be getting kicked off, Simon, so I wonder if it's a network thing?
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Could well be Rik.  It does it with Pals as well. 
Simon.
--

Rik

Might be worth having a word with your mobile support people - it could well be a simple setting change.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Ah, but it's not 'simple' getting through to the support team.  I may ask around on some mobile phone forums and see what they say.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

That's a shame. Orange used to have a dedicated team for data - though I haven't called for a while to see if they're still around...
Rik
--------------------

Simon

That's the first positive thing I've heard about Orange for some time!  I doubt it's still around, or there would have been a danger of them giving something in the way of customer service.
Simon.
--

Rik

They used to be really good. They'd take your number and call you back on a landline so that they could walk you through the phone setup... Haven't needed them for a while, but they were always first-rate when I did.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Actually got a call back twice from Orange the other day, so think they are trying to pick up the pieces of their customer service, last year it took me a week almost, trying 20 minutes a day to get through to them!  I hate the new voice they have for listening to menu options though >:D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sebby

This works really well, Lance. Much better than other forums I visit from my phone. In fact, this message has been posted from my Sony Ericsson K850i. :-)

Rik

And we have a phone icon to prove it. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Sebby, as a matter of interest, do you find you get logged out very quickly?  On my O2 SE K800i, I only get about 30 seconds to make a post, then I have to log in again.  :(
Simon.
--

Sebby

Nope. I just opened the browser on my K850 and browsed to this site and I'm still logged in from when I posted an hour ago. The only thing I can suggest is trying a firmware update as it sounds like a problem with the browser.

Lance

Quote from: Sebby on Dec 10, 2007, 16:59:31
This works really well, Lance. Much better than other forums I visit from my phone. In fact, this message has been posted from my Sony Ericsson K850i. :-)

Glad you have found this useful!
Lance
_____

Simon

Quote from: Sebby on Dec 10, 2007, 17:52:29
Nope. I just opened the browser on my K850 and browsed to this site and I'm still logged in from when I posted an hour ago. The only thing I can suggest is trying a firmware update as it sounds like a problem with the browser.

I tried a firmware update, but couldn't get the program to install on the PC, and the phone won't perform it with the internal software either.  Seems to be an O2 issue, but will be upgrading in the new year anyway.  :)
Simon.
--

Sebby

What trouble are you having installing the Update Service on your PC?

Simon

Quote from: Sebby on Dec 10, 2007, 19:12:00
What trouble are you having installing the Update Service on your PC?

This just keep appearing, but I had downloaded the latest version from the SE website. 
Simon.
--

Sebby

It's more than like to do with Flash and/or Java.

Ensure you've got the latest version of both Adobe Flash Player and Java Runtime.

Simon

Yeah, definitely have, Sebby.  :(
Simon.
--

anz1066

sorry if this is the wrong section
is it possible for me to surf the net using my mobile phone and bluetooth, with my Idnet account
in other words can i surf without paying extra, by using Idnet

sorry it`s vague

Rik

No, while you're using your mobile, you have no connection to IDNet. Even if it was technically possible to connect to IDNet, the mobile carrier would charge you for transferring the data. :(
Rik
--------------------

anz1066

so using bluetooth is pointless in a way for surfing?
what about DUN?

Rik

It's not pointless, if you're not able to connect to IDNet, eg travelling, it's an alternative, albeit an expensive one.

You could use the phone to dial in to the backup service at IDNet, but again your mobile carrier is probably going to charge you heftily for the data call. :(
Rik
--------------------