Yes, we did have a short hicccough

Started by Rik, Oct 30, 2008, 17:20:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

A link went down somewhere, causing issues with the forum, email and access to the IDNet website. They had it back up and running almost before I'd got off the phone.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

It can still be slow to resolve, it just took approx 20 seconds to load the webpage, opening another tab and it loaded instantly.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

It's been fine here since, Glenn, and they haven't put anything on the status page.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Glenn on Oct 30, 2008, 18:18:41
It can still be slow to resolve, it just took approx 20 seconds to load the webpage, opening another tab and it loaded instantly.

Suggestion from James, Glenn, try reversing the DNS servers, use 212.69.40.3 as your primary, 212.69.36.3 as the secondary. '40' is on the 'public' side of the system, '36' on on the IDNet side.

All we know atm is that a link went down briefly between telehouse and, I believe, telecity.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I normally have 36 as the primary and Open DNS as the secondary, just changed the primary to 40
Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

Seems quicker, but it may have just been a glitch before.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

g7pkf

there is a load of scheduled maint work going on the abovenet links and exponential-e.

all at weekends mostly stateside.  expect hiccups/slow browing etc for brief periods over the next few weekends.

I get these notifications as i look after a few sites located in telehouse city redbus equinix etc etc so get the notifications of maint and possible interruption to service. they look similar to this (which was a major one):-

Dear AboveNet Customer,

AboveNet has experienced a network event.

Start Date & Time:  11/15/07 Update 4:05PM EST

Event Description:

As reported earlier, two AboveNet transcontinental links are experiencing issues which might have caused degradation in services.  It has been brought to our attention that it is not a fiber cut as previously reported but a failed card.  Our technician arrived on-site and tried reseating the card which did not resolve the outage.  A new card and technician will arrive on site in approximately 1 hour.  Additional updates will be made as they become available.

Rik

QuoteA new card and technician will arrive on site in approximately 1 hour.

I wonder what they did to the old one?  :o
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

was probarly an on-site erk. most sites have them they get "talked" through what to do.

if they cannot fix it a real engineer gets despatched.

Rik

Rik
--------------------