Free gift from Thinkbroadband

Started by cavillas, Nov 04, 2008, 13:54:54

Previous topic - Next topic

cavillas

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

New Broadband Meter for free from someone you can trust.
------
Alf :)

Sebby

I suppose it might be useful if you only use one computer on your connection.

cavillas

Looks like they are going to update it in the near future to cater for all computers in household and voip also.
------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Inactive

Oh BTW, have a karma for the link. :thumb: :karmic:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

So that's what they were testing last night. Nice find, Alf.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cavillas

Sorry been asleep, afternoon, old person etc.  Thanks for the Karma In.  It does seem a nice one, it updated itself just after I installed it.
------

john

Thanks Alf, good find  :thumb:

Edit :

QuoteIt looks good, but be aware that it does collect data about your usage and sends it to third parties.

The list of what it collects is not limited just to the data types listed in the T&Cs.

Thanks for the warning Alan

kinmel

f you read the T&Cs during the install, section 11 is headed Privacy and lists what it does with your data.

However each specific carries a proviso that makes the specific worthless.

Data collection includes usage by protocol and destination which will be shared with un-named third parties (RIAA !)

The software will communicate with our servers, those of technology partners and third parties.

They disclose a non-exhaustive list of data sent to their servers which may be added to and modified as determined by them.

They may transmit and process your data outside the E.U. and claim it will be adequately protected under U.K. Data Protection principles, completely ignoring the U.S. Patriot Act which cancels all such protection for any data once it is in, or passes through the U.S.  Then it can be intercepted, stored and acted upon by them and it is illegal for anyone to tell you they are doing that.  The information can be used for any purpose, including deporting you to face criminal charges that may not be a crime in the UK.

Nothing in these T&Cs is more draconian than in much other software, but it is useful to be aware of what you are agreeing to.

p.s.  The T&Cs displayed on screen during the install are different to the T&Cs that re printed off by the installer.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Interesting slip, Alan, deliberate or accidental, I wonder?
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

I agree to everything when I install software, I'm easy going. ;D
------

Rik

v 0.9.0.7 has been released...
Rik
--------------------