Loss of PPP

Started by Ray, Nov 06, 2008, 13:39:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

It's strange the way it's having such differing effects, Ian. Right now, I don't want to chase IDNet anymore, as they are working to fix things.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Captain K

I just had a 45 minute disconnect, and its made me realise just how reliant I am on this thin strand of copper through which a great deal of important information (to me, anyway  ;)) get squirted!  I'm now mopping up the large puddle of cold sweat!
:yuk:
Bruce.

I don't trust Camels.  Or any other creature that can go a week without a drink.

Rik

I know what you mean, Bruce, ADSL is part of our lives now, not an optional extra. :)
Rik
--------------------

Baz

WOW!!!!!!!!  dont know what happened there. dropped connection about 4.00pm had to go out and when I got back had no lights at all on the router :o :o. powered down for a couple of mins then plugged back in and its up and running. slightly slower sync though same as yesterday

Rik

The slower sync will be down to the time of day, Baz, there's more noise around by now.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

its usually very stable though Rik.

is this going to be up and down until the router prob is fixed do you know as Ive just had another one

Rik

When do you normally sync though, Baz. A morning sync will get the highest speed, by the time the street lights are on, you could lose 200k or more to noise.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

hope ive got this right here.......sync as in connection speed ?

Rik

The very same, Baz. When the router connects to the DSLAM at the exchange, it negotiates a rate which will be affected by your attenuation, target noise margin and prevailing noise. After dark, the ambient noise goes up due to street lights, propagation of radio waves and, often, cross talk as more people are using the net.

For maximum stability, synching at this time of day will give you a more reliable connection whilst synching in the morning will give you a faster one. That said, my router's been up for 45 days now, having synched in the morning. :)
Rik
--------------------

Baz

thats what I was going to say Rik, the router is always on and has been synced at 8128 kbps for ages until this recent drop. then at a lower rate after a re boot

Rik

So what's your current sync speed, attenuation and noise margin, Baz?
Rik
--------------------

Baz

Connection Speed     7712 kbps     448 kbps
Line Attenuation       36.0 db       18.0 db
Noise Margin                 8.9 db        23.0 db

Rik

Looks like you've got a 9db target noise margin, was it always like that, Baz?
Rik
--------------------

Baz

no has been 6 before

Rik

It looks like the BT line management software has decided your line has been unstable, then, Baz, and tried to remedy it by increasing the margin. That would cost you about 500k, so it would explain the difference in the sync figures. Re-boot the router in the morning, see if it recovers, if not then try to maintain that sync for 14 days plus, after which the margin should be reset.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

cheers Rik, will do.  will keep an eye on it in case it rights itself  ::)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

scook94

Just tried to get online and had no connection, logs show loss of PPP at 16:11. Got a connection after about 15mins of retrying...
Steven
--------

D-Dan

I joined this thread kinda late - but I lost PPP for about 3 minutes last night. All fine since.

Hmmm - I think I count myself lucky :)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Glenn

I've had no issues in the 12 days I think I must be lucky too.
Glenn
--------------------

scook94

Posting from my phone as I no longer have internet with IDNet.  Looks like the software update hasn't resolved the problem. Just what I need on a Friday night, NOT.  Off to bed now. Let's hope I have internet in the morning... :-(
Steven
--------

Inactive

Sorry to hear that, mine is fine now.

:fingers:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Simon

Same here.  I have reported it, but I'm also off to bed now, so hopefully it'll be sorted by the morning.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

I'm having PPP problems today, not so much a loss, but a failure to obtain PPP. I wanted to switch back to my Netgear router but on making the switch I was syncing but with no PPP. In the end I got it back with an old router but it took a while.
zap
--------------------

Rik

What time was that, Zappa?
Rik
--------------------