YouTube in talks with Hollywood to show free full-length films

Started by Noreen, Nov 08, 2008, 12:22:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteThe video website YouTube is preparing to link up with Hollywood to show full-length films for free over the internet, it has emerged.

The site - already used by millions of people every day to watch short video clips - confirmed that it was in negotiations with major studios as it gets ready to launch an online movie service. "Our goal is to offer maximum choice for our users, partners and advertisers," the company said in a statement.

Free films, running with advertising, would mark a radical advance for the video-sharing website as it looks to profit from its massive popularity...........
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/nov/08/youtube-film-technology-business

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

I wonder where they will start with for the main films? There will be a few headline grabbing films at the start. Once it settles down, will it be 'B' movies followed by released direct to DVD, then older features?
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

Surely there has to be a cut off point for all this?  The 'Olympics Episode' proved that the broadband infrastructure just isn't good enough to cope with masses of extra traffic.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Rik

It is certainly going to raise challenges for ISPs, but also BT, who need to have their infrastructure in place.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I suppose that we have to remember that this isn't just for the UK. ;D

Rik

No, but as the Olympics showed, Noreen, increased demand can hit hard and quickly - all the worse because BT have such long lead times for new capacity.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Well, it appears that our ISPs are safe at the moment as it's only going to be a available in the US, at least for now. http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7721000/7721333.stm

Rik

I think they will launch here if the States is a success and, although IDNet will have ample capacity (if BT finally delivers it), I do wonder about the capacity of the BT network as a whole. We are seeing too many instances of exchange congestion these days, a service like this could make current problems seem like a mild restriction. :(
Rik
--------------------