is this malware or not?

Started by krysia, Dec 15, 2008, 12:04:42

Previous topic - Next topic

krysia

This morning I keep getting a message from AVAST that it's found a suspicious file, I think when I'm about to open Word files that have proved innocuous before:  it calls it C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ils.dll.  It flashes up a box offering me the choice of deleting it, ignoring it (which it says is the recommended action), or submitting it to AVAST (though there doesn't seem to be any way of doing the latter).   I just updated AVAST this morning, so I'm thinking this is probably some kind of glitch rather than an actual danger, but if anyone else has come across it, I'd be reassured.  WindowsDefender hasn't found anything untoward in a quick scan, nor did the very thorough boot scan Avast ran when I restarted my computer.

Rik

A Google showed Avast giving a false positive on ils.dll. Sadly, the forum concerned is down, so I couldn't dig any further.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

krysia

Thanks, Rik - that's very reassuring!  I'd tried googling myself without much success - thank goodness for IDNetters!  :)

Ray

I've got it on my PC and my AV hasn't picked it up as a risk, it looks like it's a legitimate Windows file that is a component of the windows user location services.
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

krysia

Thank you both - it's clear now that it's a false positive!

Sebby