Connection and Sync Speed problem

Started by captainpud, Nov 09, 2008, 11:27:26

Previous topic - Next topic

captainpud

Speed test results as requested. not bad at the minute but when I tested earlier on Think Broadband it was below 1000k :(

"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6976 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5605 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester."

I guess I would be happy if it stayed at this but I do seem to have lost over 1000k in speed over the last few days. I really just want it to be stable, if I lose connection again I could be right down again.

I will call IDnet first thing in the morning and hope they can sort it out.

Thank you very much for all your help, it is very much appreciated, Karma point added :)

Rik

Thanks, Paul. TBH, I'm amazed your profile hasn't taken a big hit with some of those sync speeds, but it is correct for your current sync.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 09, 2008, 14:58:18
Thanks, Paul. TBH, I'm amazed your profile hasn't taken a big hit with some of those sync speeds, but it is correct for your current sync.

Do you think they will be able to get it back were it was or just stabilise it if not? Is it likely that BT are messing with the exchange?

Rik

It depends on the cause and, to some extent on your fault threshold rate, which will have been set at 70% of the maximum stable rate during your training period. BT don't recognise a fault if your speed is above that, which it currently is. However, the fluctuations should be looked into. It could be exchange work, there is a huge amount going on at the moment, but my gut feeling is that it's a line faulty, possibly a bad joint. Is your line underground or overhead? If the latter, it could be being affected by the windy weather, for example.
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 09, 2008, 15:07:18
It depends on the cause and, to some extent on your fault threshold rate, which will have been set at 70% of the maximum stable rate during your training period. BT don't recognise a fault if your speed is above that, which it currently is. However, the fluctuations should be looked into. It could be exchange work, there is a huge amount going on at the moment, but my gut feeling is that it's a line faulty, possibly a bad joint. Is your line underground or overhead? If the latter, it could be being affected by the windy weather, for example.

The line is overhead. I just hope they can find the fault, there must be something wrong for my sync speed to to be up and down like it is.

Rik

If it passes near or through trees, windy weather can play havoc.
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 09, 2008, 15:13:44
If it passes near or through trees, windy weather can play havoc.

Ok mate thanks again, I will post back once I have spoken to IDnet and I have more information.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

captainpud

I have spoken to Idnet but they are basically saying I need to do more testing before a BT engineer can come out or I could get charged. I am plugged into the test socket again with new filter and DSL cable and have done some more testing this morning. I rebooted the BT 240 a few times and got Sync speeds of 1200, 1900 and 1400. I then went to my old BT 205 and rebooted a few times and got about 5500, 5600 and 5700. Does this seem to indicate its my BT 240 causing the problem? Idnet have told me to leave the 205 plugged into the test socket for a few days to see if my connection stays stable, is there anything else I can do to speed up the fault finding process?

I have ordered a new BT 240 in the meantime (just in case)and it should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Assuming it is the modem how will I get my sync speeds ack up again.

Thanks

Paul

PS Even with my 5500 or so Sync speed at the moment my download speed is 1.1meg :(

Rik

Your profile will have been affected by the slow sync events, so throughput will be down for some days. In addition, there's a risk that if you've re-booted a lot, ie more than 10 times in an hour, that the BT line management software will see that as instability and will have increased your target noise margin by 3db or more. That would incur a speed loss of 5-700k for each 3db step applied.

All you can now do is wait, BT's software doesn't rush to put things back to 'normal'. It will take up to five days for your profile to recover. If your target noise margin has been affected it will require you to maintain sync for 14 days+, after which it should drop by 3db, repeating as necessary until it reaches 6db again.

We do hear of lines degrading quite a lot these days, and my personal theory is that BT are not maintaining them to the best possible level. Unfortunately, if that is the case, there's little you can do about it. :(
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Will it be ok to switch of the 205 tomorrow to put in the new 240 or will that affect my profile even more?

I think my noise margin has gone up from about 12 to 15 when I looked yesterday.

So if everything remains stable I should get my sync speed and download speeds back in a week or so?

Rik

The occasional switch off is fine, it's a group of them in a small time frame which causes the problems. If you're going to make the switch tomorrow, try to do it before dark, as you'll get the best speed then.
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2008, 12:08:29
The occasional switch off is fine, it's a group of them in a small time frame which causes the problems. If you're going to make the switch tomorrow, try to do it before dark, as you'll get the best speed then.

Assuming the new 240 arrives, I would hope to swap it over in the morning, will that be ok?

Rik

Quote from: captainpud on Nov 11, 2008, 12:04:46
So if everything remains stable I should get my sync speed and download speeds back in a week or so?

Sync speed will be immediate, especially if the router is faulty, albeit if the target NM has been raised, it will take 14+ days to recover the last 5-700k of possible sync speed.

Once you have the new router in place, run a BT speed test and see what your profile is. If it's low, it will increase within five days, you do not need to re-boot the router for this to happen.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: captainpud on Nov 11, 2008, 12:14:40
Assuming the new 240 arrives, I would hope to swap it over in the morning, will that be ok?

Perfect.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2008, 12:17:37
Sync speed will be immediate, especially if the router is faulty, albeit if the target NM has been raised, it will take 14+ days to recover the last 5-700k of possible sync speed.

Once you have the new router in place, run a BT speed test and see what your profile is. If it's low, it will increase within five days, you do not need to re-boot the router for this to happen.

I am not quite sure I understand, are you saying that when I install the new 240 my sync speed should be back to 8032 when I switch it on or possibly just over 7000 because of the NM. If this is the case then why is the 205 not even near 7000. Sorry if I am being dense. I guess this assumes faulty router and not line fault.

Thanks again for being so patient explaining things :)

Rik

TBH, I don't know what sync speed you'll get. What I can tell you is that, if the target NM has been increase to 15db from the previous 12db, then you'll sync 5-700k lower because of that. However, if there's a line fault, it may not be in the 7000k range that that would imply, but down in the 5000 range. (I should add that BT may not regard this as a fault, of course, so be guided by IDNet on this.)

I note that, when you did the BT test, you were, in fact, syncing just under 7k, so I'm hopeful that the router change may do most of the work needed.

Your throughput, btw, is almost certainly being affected by the profile which will have resulted from the low-speed syncs that you saw. A BT test will confirm or confound this. :)
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2008, 12:34:13
TBH, I don't know what sync speed you'll get. What I can tell you is that, if the target NM has been increase to 15db from the previous 12db, then you'll sync 5-700k lower because of that. However, if there's a line fault, it may not be in the 7000k range that that would imply, but down in the 5000 range. (I should add that BT may not regard this as a fault, of course, so be guided by IDNet on this.)

I note that, when you did the BT test, you were, in fact, syncing just under 7k, so I'm hopeful that the router change may do most of the work needed.

Your throughput, btw, is almost certainly being affected by the profile which will have resulted from the low-speed syncs that you saw. A BT test will confirm or confound this. :)

Just done the BT speed test and its not pretty :(

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 5728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1136 kbps

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

I just hope it sorts its self over the next few days with the new modem in place. I presume if I am still getting slow sync speeds or disconnections after the new modem is in place then it has to be a line fault?

Simon_idnet

Hi captainpud

Your throughput is as expected given your Profile. If your router can maintain the current Connection Rate then your Profile should change to match.

regards
Simon

Rik

Hi Paul

What Simon says (I've always wanted to post that ;D). Essentially, your profile has taken a hit and you need to be patient while it recovers. It will be OK to connect the new router when it arrives, but don't re-boot repeatedly in an attempt to gain a better speed, just let things settle for a few days.
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2008, 14:35:12
Hi Paul

What Simon says (I've always wanted to post that ;D). Essentially, your profile has taken a hit and you need to be patient while it recovers. It will be OK to connect the new router when it arrives, but don't re-boot repeatedly in an attempt to gain a better speed, just let things settle for a few days.

Ok I understand that all the messing over the last few days has damaged my profile and as you say I will just have to be patient over the next week while it hopefully recovers  :-\

Would it be better to leave the old BT 205 in place for the moment and let my profile recover before I put the replacement BT 240 in? I did a backup of the 240's config so I suppose I will be able to load this on to the new one to save messing wih the setup?

Thanks again for all your help :)

Rik

You call, it really won't make any difference to have a single disconnection, so if it's there in the morning, go for it - otherwise wait until the first available morning. :)
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2008, 15:46:31
You call, it really won't make any difference to have a single disconnection, so if it's there in the morning, go for it - otherwise wait until the first available morning. :)

Ok thanks Rik, It should be here in the morning as I have paid for an early delivery so I will put it on. I will do a BT speed test after to see what difference it makes. I will probably do a test each day for the rest of the week to see if things improve. I will post the results on here to keep a track if thats ok.

Thanks again

Paul

PS Karma +1 :)

Rik

That should be fine, Paul. Expect no immediate changes, other than an improved sync speed with a bit of luck. After that, it will probably take five days for the profile to catch up.  :fingers:

:thnks:
Rik
--------------------

captainpud

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2008, 16:04:28
That should be fine, Paul. Expect no immediate changes, other than an improved sync speed with a bit of luck. After that, it will probably take five days for the profile to catch up.  :fingers:

:thnks:

Still using the old BT 205 but I have just done a BT speed test and my profile seems to be starting to recover already :)

"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 5728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4192 kbps

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester."

I will put in the new BT 240 when it arrives and hopefully my profile and speeds will continue to improve over the next few days.