Slow DNS update?

Started by Conrad1, Nov 16, 2007, 21:20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad1

Sorry if this has been asked before, but why is it taking so long for IDNet to update their DNS? 
???
I changed over the "ANAME" for one of my domains last night (nearly 24 hrs ago now) to point to my IDNet static IP and the IDNet Primary DNS is STILL pointing to the old IP. 
I have done various NSLookups to other free DNS machines and they all seem to have updated with the new IP so I know the change has worked. 
Can someone give the IDNet DNS a kick please  :laugh: ? How long do they keep it cached before refreshing?

Thanks,

C.

Lance

It might be worth emailing CS to let them know, as there might be something they can do.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Quote from: Conrad1 on Nov 16, 2007, 21:20:09
Can someone give the IDNet DNS a kick please  :laugh: ? How long do they keep it cached before refreshing?

As Lance says, you need to contact IDNet yourself, we don't have a direct input from here.
Rik
--------------------

Simon_idnet

Hi Conrad1

Our resolvers will honour the TTL (Time To Live) instruction from the Authoritative nameservers before requesting a refresh from them. If you can PM me your domain name I can look into it for you.

Regards
Simon

Conrad1

Thanks Simon.  I've checked it again now, and it has been updated.  In future, I will drop the TTL first.

Best regards,

Conrad.

Oh, and by the way:

It just keeps getting better!  WOOHOO!

Conrad

I pointed a couple more domains to my static IP last night (around midnight).  I set the TTL to 5 mins (a bit optimistic, I know). It's been aprox 12 hrs now and the IDNet DNS servers still point to the old IP.  I guess some things never change.

I've looked them up on several public dns servers and they have all been updated.

:bawl:

Rik

Have a word with support, they can check what's going on for you.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Has OpenDNS updated? It's worth checking to see where the problem lies.

Conrad

Thanks Rik.  

Gave them a call, and they suggested sending an e-mail.  Done that, and they replied back promptly to let me know that they flushed the DNS cache and my domains are now set with the correct IP in their servers. Checked by doing a quick nslookup, and they are right! Great service (as always)!

One problem though:  My browser is still giving me the wrong page when I enter my domain name.  ???

Just done an nslookup on openDNS - they are update too.

Confused now.  :-\

kinmel

You need to change the way you use DNS servers.

Point your web addresses to the four EveryDNS Name servers and then you can change your entry on their DNS  servers in real-time, do it properly and the changes start to work in a few minutes.

The service is reliable, free and you can make changes as often as you want. They even give you the link to force an update of the OpenDNS servers cache in real-time too.

Their faq is HERE

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Conrad

It's all good.  I was just being impatient. - I'm sure the flushing of the cache helped things along.

;D

Thanks for the help! - I'll take a look at EveryDNS for future reference.