Nice speedtest

Started by old Bill, Dec 04, 2008, 17:25:35

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I wonder what the odds of this happening are ......quite a lot I would imagine....
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

I am playing Unchained melody on my piano......nothing great about this...

you mention the exact song I am playing at the moment I am playing the thing  :eek4:

A minute before or for that matter 30 seconds and I would have been playing "Your Cheating Heart,in a melody with I cant stop loving you !!!!
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

My cheating heart - how apt. ;)
Rik
--------------------

David

Im not doioing the pacemakers numbers Rik  ;D

But what are the odds ?

Rik

Huge to massive, I'd say.
Rik
--------------------

David

:dunno: :dunno: ont do it again  ;D

Rik

OK. Tell me what you're playing and I'll avoid referring to it. ;)
Rik
--------------------

merlin

Lance

Quote from: merlin on Jan 31, 2009, 21:18:43

is this ok ???

Assuming you're not on a 24mb line, I'm afraid not. To quote one of my earlier posts:

Quote from: Lance on Jan 30, 2009, 22:38:32
The maximum throughput on a 'up to' 8mb BT line is approx 7000-7100 depending on overheads. As for ISP contention, there isn't any at the moment with IDNet. Earlier today they had two new centrals go live which provide a significant boost to the capacity. You may, however, still experience local exchange congestion which is entirely down to underinvestment from BT.

Basically, the speedtest is telling you that your downstream throughput is 13468kb/s but the maximum possible on a 8mb BT line is less than 7150kb/s. It's likely your antivirus is upsetting the speedtest.
Lance
_____

merlin

i,m on 8 megs ,but it did look good, i turned off my aunty virus .and it gave me an even better figure, are you SURE this is not true ?? ;) ;)

merlin

yep this has got to be true ?? ;D ;D

J!ll

merlin

ok its sunday morning ,confession time, there is a fault in the speed .io program,

at the end of a test ,it gives you the option to "repeat test"

if you do this, it adds the first result ,to the second result, so you can have any reading you prefer !!!!

the above reading (which i am sure must be accurate !!) is the result of doing three consecutive tests, using the "repeat test" option

good morning vicar !!!

J!ll

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    3616 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    45 db    15 db
Noise Margin    10 db    20 db

Rik

Quote from: merlin on Feb 01, 2009, 09:26:00
ok its sunday morning ,confession time, there is a fault in the speed .io program,

at the end of a test ,it gives you the option to "repeat test"

if you do this, it adds the first result ,to the second result, so you can have any reading you prefer !!!!

I'd need to run it about 12 times then. :)
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Anyone know what the download and upload bandwidth is with this subject speed tester.  ???

I cut down my use of Think Broadband in favour of BBMax because the up/download files sizes were less.
Regards,

Les.

David

Sorry I cant help Les  :karma: for your return good to see you again  :thumb:

Rik

No idea, Les, but good to see you back. :)
Rik
--------------------

David

Quote from: Rik on Feb 05, 2009, 09:48:58
No diea, Les, but good to see you back. :)

Er Rik I cant edit  ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

Rik

Hydrocortisone cream. :)
Rik
--------------------

David

Fucibet is very good   :thumb:

LesD

Quote from: Rik on Feb 05, 2009, 09:48:58
No idea, Les, but good to see you back. :)

Never went away just been "Snooping" and not posting so much! ;)

I have been busy building machines with some new bits of my own and my Brother's cast off.

The main one I am on at the moment (new Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 mobo with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.67GHz 1066MHz FSB processor and 4 GB of dual channel RAM) runs Vista and it has taken some getting used to. Mainly making it runs things that I want to run rather than the ones Microsoft condescend to let me run! It has taken some intensive Gooling and the odd Registry edit but in the main on a day to day basis it now does what XP does for me straight out of the box!  :)

The other machine is an all Intel affair on an older Intel D975XBX2 mobo with a Pentium D950 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB processor and another 4 GB of dual channel RAM. I am in the process of setting it up to try the Beta version of Windows 7 that I downloaded at the expense of about 3.4 GB of my bandwidth on the 24 January.

Both of these machine are all SATA affairs, my first departure from IDE PATA drives but they seem fine to me. Maybe later when I have the job done I will post more stats. and some pictures.
Regards,

Les.