BT price rises in the offing

Started by Rik, Dec 05, 2008, 11:40:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The Times is reporting that:

QuoteBT could charge other telecoms carriers up to 11 per cent more for using its network under long-awaited pricing proposals published this morning by Ofcom, the telecoms watchdog.

Ofcom announced in May that it would formally consider letting BT's Openreach division raise the prices it charges competitors for wholesale access to local exchanges and has today issued a new range of tariffs.

The biggest increase would come in fully unbundled lines — when a rival takes over BT's line to provide broadband and telephone services — where annual rental charges could rise from £81.69 today to a maximum £91, or 11 per cent, for the 12 months beginning April 1.

For shared unbundled lines, where a rival shares the line with BT for the provision of broadband only, and residential wholesale line rental, the maximum proposed increase is 4 per cent — from £15.60 to £16.20 and from £100.68 to £104.40 respectively.

Fine if BT invest more in the infrastructure, but I don't think that's going to happen somehow. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Yes, one would feel that there's nothing in return for the increase.
Simon.
--

Rik

Charges to 'ordinary' ISPs are also on the increase - whatever Ofcom may say, BT still has an effective monopoly across most of the country. :(
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

BT shouldn't be allowed to raise prices when they're not actually doing anything noticeable to improve their network. :mad:

Rik

I agree, Seb. Most of us are constrained by the last mile, and it's that which isn't receiving any investment that I can see.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Dec 05, 2008, 15:00:34
I agree, Seb. Most of us are constrained by the last mile,

Or 10 metres in some cases.  :out:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Colin Burns

lol

just water the lamp post in your street then BT come and replace the cableing in the street.  Worked for me

Sebby

Incriminating yourself there, Colin. :P