Is broadband getting any faster ?

Started by john, Dec 15, 2008, 13:51:23

Previous topic - Next topic

john

Rik

About what you'd expect, John. Unless someone spends some serious money, it's not going to get a lot faster, and that someone is unlikely to be BT at this time. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Simon

I think it's time some ISPs were told to remove the 'up to 8Mb' line from their advertising, particularly the ones who throttle speeds, as, to my mind, that's blatant deception.
Simon.
--

Sebby

I think it's only the ones that throttle that need to remove it, Simon, because it's factually correct otherwise.

Lance

I disagree, Sebby. When you factor in the profile, its only up to 7.15mb! (And even then there will be some overheads on top!)
Lance
_____

Simon

I posted this before, but it must have been lost in the outage. 

If you buy a pint of milk, you expect a pint, not what the cow might be able to deliver!  ;D
Simon.
--

J!ll

john

Don't be silly, everyone knows that milk comes from bottles, not cows  :D

Simon

That could have been a lot worse, John!  ;D
Simon.
--

john

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

john

Rik

The other issue which is coming fast is capacity and bandwidth. With the BBC attempting to share the iPlayer with the other broadcasters, I can see bandwidth usage increasing quite sharply. That's going to show up a lot of ISPs, and it's also going to bring the 'unlimited' providers into the spotlight as they start putting the brakes on people.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Indeed - capacity is becoming a major issue.

esh

A couple megabits down is frankly enough for me. What I *would* like is a couple megabits up though. There's SDSL of course, but I think that's a dying and somewhat awkwardly priced sector of the market, a bit like ISDN in the mid-90's.

I'm pretty sure the distribution system for popular P2P systems like iPlayer will have to be fundamentally altered to bias connections towards local sources to avoid a lot of expensive cross-network capacity issues.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

ADSL2+, when BT deign to give it to us, will improve u/s speeds.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Do you know how it's going to work, Rik? I know that Be uploads syncs as high as it can, i.e. the upstream sync has a target SNRM too.

Rik

I'm not sure, Seb, but I know it's faster than IPStream, so it's likely to be similar (I wonder if you can trade upstream and downstream?).
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

On LLU, you can't. I wondered the same thing - why can't download use unused upstream frequencies? Maybe it can, but it's just not something that's done.

Rik

I suspect it's not 'convenient'. :(
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Ah, the old convenience issue. I suspect you're right. ;)