Facebook users warned over virus resurgence

Started by Noreen, Dec 09, 2008, 18:59:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteFacebook, MySpace and Bebo users are being warned about the resurgence of a virus-like worm that will try to infect their PCs when they follow a comment posted on their profile.

The antivirus and security company F-Secure has warned that the new malware – strictly, a worm, which it calls "Koobface" – is targeting Facebook, Bebo, MySpace, Friendster, Myyearbook and Blackplanet..................
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/09/facebook-virus-security-warning-koobface

Sebby

somanyholes

i think vainface would have been better than koobface  >:D

Simon

It might have been, So, especially as I keep reading it as knobface!  ;D
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

I just wonder what people seek to gain from sites like Facebook. I've never been able to see its usefulness myself.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Me neither, why not just pick up the phone or send an email? Perhaps it's a celebrity thing?
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

it's a . I need to get a life thing rik. ohh look there's a photo or me with someone. Oh there's another, oh there's another. There's a lot of self obessed people out there.

Rik

That's about my take, So. People trying to make themselves celebrities.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: Rik on Dec 10, 2008, 09:02:06
I just wonder what people seek to gain from sites like Facebook. I've never been able to see its usefulness myself.

I joined to see what all the fuss was about, but I virtually never use it. I think it's days are numbered.

Sebby

David

Some really good recipes  here Sebby  ;D ;D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Ann

Facebook is just a bit of fun between people.  It's a modern way of keeping in touch with people who you don't get to see very often.  Saying why not email someone instead is a bit like the even older generation (is there one.. you lot sound so old, I'm wondering) saying that email is rubbish, why not write a letter.  Things move on.  But you wouldn't email people with a discussion such as you have on here.. it's totally different.  Different means for a different sort of communication.  Facebook is another sort of communication.  It's not the same as emailing someone and it's not the same as chatting on here.  Some use it as a place to upload their photos for their family and friends to see.  Yous wouldn't all be against that now would you, seeing as you've got your own photo pages on IDNet.  Others use it to play games like scrabble, sudoku and more.  Some use it to join groups of like minded people, some are health support groups, others political or with some single aim or whatever.  I belong to a certain social society and there are several groups there for members.  It's a way then of keeping in touch with people that I only meet up with a few times a year at weekend gatherings.  Some overseas members, I've never met in person.  It's a belonging thing.  We all like to feel we belong somewhere and in todays society where we don't even know our neighbours, it serves a purpose.

In conclusion, beware of judging what you don't know... 

Rik

Not judging so much as not seeing a point in it, Ann. So you would describe is as a loose federation of people who can come together to form special interest forums from time to time, in effect?
Rik
--------------------

David

QuoteFacebook is just a bit of fun between people

No harm in that then  ;D I dont know if age enters into it.I have only glimpsed at it and its not for me,but each to their own  ;)
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Steve

Certainly my eldest son would agree with Ann wholeheartedly. Its a way of keeping in touch with individuals and groups of people, especially since attending university in another part of the country. However I do worry that my younger daughter uses it as a form of advertising.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

This sounds intriging  >:D

Hope shes not an Avon lady  ;)

Ann

One thing.. the only people who can see your details on Facebook are people that you allow as 'friends'.  So it's not a matter of everyone showing off to strangers.

Part of it is a bit like Friends Reunited, Rik, you can join a group say, for your old school and see the names of the other members and message people you might know.  If they remember you and want to then you can keep touch as 'friends'.  That's why Friends Reunited itself is now free, too much competition.

Den

I know my neighbours and would prefer to have it that way. This forum is the only one I have ever wanted be very active on but that's because I was made welcome from my very first post  ;D
Mr Music Man.

David

QuoteFriends Reunited itself is now free

Thats news to me I did have a spell on there and it proved to be a great waste of time in my case so I just stopped.

Inactive

Quote from: Ann on Dec 13, 2008, 16:37:48
  We all like to feel we belong somewhere and in todays society where we don't even know our neighbours, it serves a purpose.

Not sure where you live Ann, but I know, and get on very well with all of my neighbours, we all help each other, without being too intrusive.

cavillas

I joined Facebook and am able to keep in touch with my wide spread family and friends who live all over the country.  It is a handy way of sending messages and photos and lots of personal information to friends and family.  Many of these people do not always check their emails regularly and this is a very conveniant way to stay in touch and spread good and bad news to freinds and family.

It can be very informative and not have to worry about if someone is in for a phone call or see their emails very often.

I am over 60 and there are lots of people my age and above now using Facebook.  It takes a newer way of thinking that's all.
------
Alf :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

cavillas

It is amazing though how many other people that are friends of friends you suddenly find that you know from the past or even their children.  It creates another way of contacting old freinds from the past as well.  I find it intriguing and interesting to use. :thumb:
------
Alf :)

Sebby

It can be useful, but in some ways it's been spoilt.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Danni

I mainly use it for keeping up with people I knew at school (I moved away from Liverpool at 16 so lost touch with a lot of them, as they didn't have email addresses then) and also finding relatives who last saw me when I was a tiny baby. I only check it about once a week, but it works for me. I'm also a member of MySpace but stopped using it a long time ago. Facebook feels more mature to me than MySpace.
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

Rik

I think it must be me, I have absolutely no interest in keeping up with people I knew at school. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Dec 14, 2008, 13:26:18
I think it must be me, I have absolutely no interest in keeping up with people I knew at school. ;)

Not just you Rik, me as well.

I did join FU, but I got fed up with being contacted by dim wits that I never knew.

David

QuoteNot sure where you live Ann, but I know, and get on very well with all of my neighbours, we all help each other, without being too intrusive.

I can vouch for this,In came around when I needed someone and I was very glad he did........what he was doing in my airing cupboard remains a mystery though  >:D ;D :legpull:

Inactive

Rik

Quote from: Inactive on Dec 14, 2008, 13:36:30
Not just you Rik, me as well.

After 40 odd years, I doubt we would have much in common. Half an hour should be sufficient to cover everything really. :)
Rik
--------------------

David

QuoteI did join FU, but I got fed up with being contacted by dim wits that I never knew.

Know the feeling,according to FU I have 28 love children and once lived in Bournemouth.....utter rubbish anyone who knows me knows..........................I hate Bournemouth  ;)

Rik

:lol:

What's wrong with being honest and calling them lust children for that matter. ;D
Rik
--------------------

David

Agreed,you could after all Bonnie Tyler (that great scottish singer) did make that record.

I was lust in France  ;D

She didnt mention Bournemouth though....not that I can recall   :whistle:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

:rofl: It's perhaps as well that the CSA wasn't around at the time. ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

I did thats why I was contacted so many times  ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

:ithank: Its just my conception of things really  ;D

Inactive

;D :grn: Have another one for that one David.

This beats painting...don't it?.

David

:ithank: Sure does although there is always the remarks In..." Oh this ceiling could do with a coat of paint"
;D

Rik

That depends on how adventurous you are. ;)
Rik
--------------------

David