Is this worth doing?

Started by Noreen, Dec 29, 2008, 17:51:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

It seems like a good idea, but I don't see what's to stop it being misused?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noreen

I don't really understand it. ???

Rik

From what I could see, it will put a graphic on your pages to show you they are genuine. However, anyone wanting to run a scam need only copy the graphic to make their site look real. Unless Yahoo have something up their sleeve, of course.
Rik
--------------------

David

Sounds like a gimmick to me.... ???I'm a bit lost whats the point other than to maybe give a false impression  :dunno:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Without knowing more about how they implement it, David, I feel a bit the same. Perhaps the clue is here:

Since it's linked to your computer (not Yahoo! ID), you'll need one for each computer you use
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

I've found a bit more info.
QuoteHow does a sign-in seal protect me?
A sign-in seal is a secret between the computer you set it up on and Yahoo!. So when you sign in to Yahoo! from this computer, your sign-in seal tells you that you're seeing a genuine Yahoo! site, not a phishing site.

Why do I have to set up a seal on each computer I use?
Your sign-in seal is associated with your computer, not your ID. It is a convenient way of instantly recognising a genuine Yahoo! sign-in page and of ensuring that you're not on a page created by fraudsters attempting to steal your Yahoo! ID and password. Because we associate your sign-in seal with your computer, after you create a seal, there are no additional steps for signing in. Even if a phisher knows or guesses your ID or other personal information, they cannot use it to discover your sign-in seal. Note: Yahoo! will never ask for your Yahoo! ID or password in order to set up or display your sign-in seal.

What if I share this computer with family or friends?
If they use Yahoo! too, you should show them the sign-in seal you're creating for this computer. Even better, create a sign-in seal together so that everyone will be happy to use and recognise it.

What about public computers?
Always exercise care when signing in on public computers, such as those located in libraries or Internet cafes. Administrators in these places may create sign-in seals to help you identify Yahoo! on these machines, but you should not replace one of these seals with your own. It's best to rely on other methods to ensure you're signing in to a genuine Yahoo! site.

Will this sign-in seal protect me on sites other than Yahoo!?
No. The sign-in seal that you create here will only appear on Yahoo! sign-in screens. For more information about how to protect yourself online no matter where you are, see the Yahoo! Security Centre.

What if I don't see my sign-in seal?
You could be on a fraudulent site, but there might be other reasons why you can't see it. For example, someone else who uses your computer may have deleted or changed your seal. The cookies or files that identify your seal may also have been deleted from your computer.

David

Surely Site Advisor already carries this out ?
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Be careful with the cookies, then, Noreen.  :eyebrow:
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Dec 29, 2008, 18:13:49

Not completely, David. This is an added measure, but it could be a bit fragile, if your cookies get deleted, for example.
Rik
--------------------

David

I will stand aside on this one

Noreen

Don't think that I'm going to bother, don't want Yahoo cookies following me around.

Rik

That would be my feeling.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Alliance & Leicester use something similar on their internet banking. When you sign up, you have to choose a picture. The picture is displayed when you login, so you know if the site is genuine.

Ultimately, like any security measure, it's just another layer of protection.

Ann

I don't use yahoo often enough to make it worthwhile.  If you did then I'd say it'd be worth it.

talos2

Quote from: Sebby on Dec 29, 2008, 20:14:41
Alliance & Leicester use something similar on their internet banking. When you sign up, you have to choose a picture. The picture is displayed when you login, so you know if the site is genuine.

Ultimately, like any security measure, it's just another layer of protection.
I remember something simpler, the only prob was my computer would crash regularly, so I had to reapply to the bank every time for new clearance.
EX Orange and proud of it.

Gary

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Dec 29, 2008, 18:13:49
I stopped sing site advisor after it marked some sites badly, but it did reveal all those "screensaver" site as being very bad news indeed, which did not surprise me! whats the latest version like David and does it still slow firefox down a tad? If not I'll give it another download :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

The very latest version seems broken, Gary. :(
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 30, 2008, 09:29:23
The very latest version seems broken, Gary. :(
:( oh, is it broken with the latest firefox update, or just a broken version?

Rik

When it upgraded, it failed to appear anywhere within FF, despite being listed as installed. I rolled back.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 30, 2008, 09:35:34
When it upgraded, it failed to appear anywhere within FF, despite being listed as installed. I rolled back.
Thats a shame, it seems more and more that software is just getting more buggy than it needs to be  :( a lack of testing I fear

Rik

It could be something to do with my setup, of course, but I'd had no problems before.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Dec 30, 2008, 09:41:34
It could be something to do with my setup, of course, but I'd had no problems before.
probably a bug, there has been issues with that program before alas

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Dec 30, 2008, 09:35:34

The latest version works OK with Firefox for me, Rik.  ;)
Ray
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Sheltieuk on Dec 30, 2008, 11:57:55
everyones box is so different, what works on does not on another, I'll download it and try it out again

Rik

Quote from: Sheltieuk on Dec 30, 2008, 11:57:55

:nana: ;D

It may be a conflict with another add-on, Ray. I'll try again sometime.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Dec 30, 2008, 12:14:39

:lol:

That sounds the most likely cause, Rik.  :)
Ray
--------------------

Rik

The joys of a Windows box... :sigh:
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: Rik on Dec 30, 2008, 12:14:39

Could be. It might be worth trying a new profile (Start > Run > firefox.exe -p).

Rik

I'll have a play, thanks, Seb.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------