Three years undercover with the identity thieves

Started by Noreen, Jan 22, 2009, 10:49:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Quite scary too. This whole process is so organised these days.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

There are actually offices (I know of one that was shut down) that hire people to call around agencies trying to obtain information, and they get paid per piece of info they get.

The only trouble with this is, if people get hold of all your details there's nothing stopping them claiming to be you as they could answer any and all security checks. This is why people should be more careful with the disposal of their documents. It would only take finding 3-4 letters in your rubbish to get everything a person needs.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

I have two shredders these days, Niall. Unthinkable a decade ago.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

I tried to put one of those identity theives into my shredder but he wouldn't fit. >:D
------
Alf :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

I have piles and piles of old bills, statements and other paperwork which needs shredding.  I just can't build myself up to sitting for hours feeding each sheet in, one or two at a time.  It's one of those jobs that has just got worse, the longer I left it, and now it's becoming insurmountable.  :bawl: 
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Feb 08, 2009, 00:47:57
I have piles and piles of old bills, statements and other paperwork which needs shredding.  I just can't build myself up to sitting for hours feeding each sheet in, one or two at a time.  It's one of those jobs that has just got worse, the longer I left it, and now it's becoming insurmountable.  :bawl: 
When we mved we hqad a huge shredding campain Simon, redious but worth it, the thing is peeling labels with your details on off plastic which drives me mad
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

uxbod

Quote from: Rik on Feb 07, 2009, 14:25:46
I have two shredders these days, Niall. Unthinkable a decade ago.
Rik, how do manage to re-shred each piece of paper once it has been through once  ???  :D

Rik

Simple, Ux. First I put the shredded paper in a bucket and add hot water with a small amount of cellulose wallpaper paste. I mix this thoroughly and allow it to soak for 24 hours. I take the resultant goo, and lay it into mesh frames, thus creating new sheets of paper. These are air dried before trimming to size and shredding. After this, I set the resulting shreds on fire in an incinerator.

I learnt the technique from wiping hard drives. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Feb 08, 2009, 11:12:15
I learnt the technique from wiping hard drives. ;D

So I drop my hard drive in a bucket of water.....     :whistle:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Colin Burns

Quote from: Simon on Feb 08, 2009, 00:47:57

just wait for bonfire night Simon and use your paper work to start the fire