Download speed

Started by Coopes, Apr 22, 2006, 13:13:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Quote from: mamba on Apr 26, 2006, 17:21:58
bt suxs! grr i wish i could get ntl lol or telewest
Just wish the LLU avenue hadn't been deliberately retarded by BT for so long as BB was becoming synonymous throughout the UK...oh yeah and that OfCom or Otelo weren't such a bunch of limp-wristed big jessies.
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

mrapoc

i am currently in the 10 day process and im wondering - has anyone had a good experience with max???? i am at 8000kbps and 400kbps atm. exchange is green and i have a speedtouch 580 ethernet. will it work for me? ???

B52

I think I qualify as one who is reasonably happy with Max.  I was originally with F2s at 2Mb for my ADSL but when I moved to IDnet BT would only let the line run at 1Mb.
Im now synched at 5128ish and normally get d/l speeds in the 3.5-3.7 region.  This morning though its up at 4.2. (at 07.30hrs)
So Im pleased to be getting double my original ADSL speed for the same price.
Im 2.7km from the exchange and have been maxed from 2nd April. So I think this is as good as it gets for me. :) :) :)

AndyG

Hi all.

Well so far I'm very happy with my ADSLMax.  I was switched over last Friday so I'm currently coming to the end of day 7.  My connection seems to have settled to 6112K synch with 5Mbit/s data rate.  I get a good 620kB/s throughput 'off peak' which drops to around 350kB/s in the evening. I'm quite pleasantly surprised with these figures as I'm 2.7km from the exchange as the crow flies and according to the old BT line test my line is 3.4km.  A worthwile improvement on the old 2 Meg connection. ;D ;D ;D

Andy

Coopes

I have registed with L8NC just checked my graph, I have a total red block. firewall is allowing connection and the ip is correct. Ideas please. Oh yes and I am connected, least I am when I typed this.  ;D
Regards

Mark

http://marksdigitalimages.blogspot.com/
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.

AndyG

Hi  Have you tried getting someone else to ping you to check that you've enabled ping in your router?  You could PM me your IP and I'll give it a go and reply (I'll be around until about 9:30 PM).  Failing that, run this test http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and check the results to check that you're 'pingable'.

Andy

Xbandito

Ooo err...just checked my graph and it seems that "internet lock" does work    ;)

Coopes

Hi Andy the result i got from the site score = 148.5 that don't mean a thing to me.  ::)
Regards

Mark

Xbandito

I get -:
         Notes and recommendations:
Looking good  ;)

Coopes

But now i'm getting more than a red block, I'll wait and see what its like tomorrow.
Regards

Mark

AndyG

Quote from: Coopes on Apr 27, 2006, 20:12:57
Hi Andy the result i got from the site score = 148.5 that don't mean a thing to me.  ::)

Hi  I assume that was your ping reading.  The value is not important, the fact that you got a result means that you IP is 'pingable' so you should be able to get L8NC to work.

Andy

mrapoc

yea im actually like under a mile away from the exchange (500m ish) and at day 7 im still at 400kbps up and 8000kbps down. Is there any chance this will change and wot can i do to lower the chance of this happening?
*Will turning my router off to cool down make a better line or bugger up synching?
*Should i alter my settings to 8mbps now (tuneup utilities) or after the 10 days + 2 (2mbps cap period)
*Is there anything at all i can do to help my line sync nice and high?

Xbandito

Mrapoc,
              The only thing I can offer any input on is the "Will turning my router off to cool down make a better line or bugger up synching"....
for my router gets extremely hot, so I have an old harddrive box from inside an old case (with holes in it) open top and bottom and placed it above the exhaust fan on top of my case.......keeps my router cool  ;)

mrapoc

Xbandito

Quote from: mrapoc on Apr 28, 2006, 16:28:13
LOL REALLY? ;D

Yup  :P

Bt Voyager 205's are known for getting hot (really hot) and if I left this thing on 24/7.....well fry an egg comes to mind :)

And maybe soon, I will have to do this -:

AMD 3700 chip on its way :D

mrapoc

SWEEEEET  ;) Im still running stock  :P

X2 4200 chip
msi k9n neo4 platinum
BFG geforce 7600gt 256mb factory o/ced
ON THE WAY :D

I have a shite rig atm - time for a decent upgrade

mrapoc

woo just tried a speedtest!! 4mbps ish  ;D 
Still got about 4 days left though - can it only get better?

Coopes

I've stopped testing mine, Ive got what i've got 2660 thats 1660 better than I had
before Max :D
Regards

Mark

mrapoc

JUST LOST SYNC NOOOOOOO >:( NOW SYNCED AT 448 / 6.912  :'( I WANT IT TO GO BACK UP  :-[  :'(

Jeff

QuoteI've stopped testing mine, Ive got what i've got 2660 thats 1660 better than I had
before Max

Karma point for that man, my sentiments exactly. ;)

MaxDSL varies ... quiet hours blazing, rush hours, well, around 2MBit is fair enough. Some see better according to exchange load, some see worse for same reason. Because MaxDSL works slightly differently in that the new equipment (patented so no details are available from BT) deals with SNR side of things and has the ability to resync your line should SNR become too low, many folks SNRs are always low and because of this, they can show the adverse effects of crosstalk when we wouldn`t normally have noticed it in the past.

One good thing, with the summer approaching and streetlights going on later (and probably indoor lighting too) then we may see extended hours of better throughput.

One thing we can`t predict ... how many punters on the same exchange as us are logging on at the same time which is ultimately why we see differing throughput with MaxDSL. Like Coopes says, it`s better than we had before for the same price! Everyone`s a winner! :D

wiz69

I have been on maxdsl for 3days now just to get things right I have read in alot of forums to gen up on info out there about this maxdsl is it right that for the first 10 days your throughtput is capped at 2mb,s regardless of what you sync at, also I sync at 7680, Down and 448 up.Any speed test that I do online or from desktop utility tells me I am on a 2mb line ,but the upload has changed from about 28kb,s to 40kb,s.What ever file I download,downloads at the same speed as my old 2mb connection which I was on before upgrading to Maxdsl.Yet when I upload it is faster than before.I am using a speedtouch 330 usb modem but I have ordered an adsl2/2+ wireless modem/router a BELKIN ADSL2+ FSD7633UK4A,Are these any good for the idnet maxdsl service? never used a wireless device before.Any advice would be much appreciated .thanks for reading

mrapoc

give it a couple more days and you should see an increase  ;)