Loss of connection?

Started by gyruss, Feb 10, 2009, 22:34:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

We're still waiting to hear atm, but my pings are in my normal range this morning.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

dlorde

I returned from work this evening to find yet another disconnection - occurred at 12:21 today.

The service has been very unreliable over the last few months - given the cost of this service, it's very disappointing.

Sebby

psp83

Had a few DNS problems again tonight. Well. may not of been DNS but websites stopped loading but msn and email was fine.

Sebby

OpenDNS is far less problematic than ISPs' DNS, in my experience. Might be worth a try. :)

Niall

Any word on what happened? I've not checked other threads, I just bookmarked this one to be quick  :P
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

dlorde

Quote from: Sebby on Feb 18, 2009, 21:33:03
Sync or PPP?
Apologies for the delay - my modem log says:

02/18/2009  19:12:19 ATM1 start PPP           
02/18/2009  19:12:19 Dial On Demand(ATM1)     
02/18/2009  19:12:02 xxx.xxx.x.x login success
02/18/2009  19:05:32 sending ACK to xxx.xxx.x.x
02/18/2009  12:26:13 ADSL Media Up !           
02/18/2009  12:21:24 ATM1 stop PPP             
02/18/2009  12:21:24 ADSL Media Down !         

Rik

I'm not sure, but that looks like a loss of sync to me - it's difficult to translate the 'logspeak', but it appears to be making a connection at the second line, which suggests to me sync not PPP. If this is the case, then it's an issue between the router and the DSLAM, so possibly a line fault, or noise pickup internally to your house.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It also looks like a loss of sync to me, which would suggest it's not IDNet.

dlorde

Quote from: Rik on Feb 21, 2009, 16:02:28
I'm not sure, but that looks like a loss of sync to me - it's difficult to translate the 'logspeak', but it appears to be making a connection at the second line, which suggests to me sync not PPP. If this is the case, then it's an issue between the router and the DSLAM, so possibly a line fault, or noise pickup internally to your house.
I doubt it's noise within the house - other than the fridge-freezer that switches on & off many times a day, but has a suppressor and has never been associated with broadband problems. I don't know of any developments that might affect the phone line, but there are various building and repair works locally so it's possible. Seems to me more likely it's at the exchange - vastly more activity there than on the route here or in the house.

I can accept it may well not be IDNet's responsibility - it just came after a succession of disconnects that IDNet have acknowledged. The problem is that this kind of technology and it's implementation and management changes over such short timescales that it's impossible to establish any idea of what a 'normal' or 'expected' failure rate in the various aspects of any service should be - I have to keep reminding myself that I'm getting 10x the speeds of only a couple of years ago, and another 10 times the speed of my first dial-up connection a few years earlier.

Thanks for the

Rik

Check your exchange at somewhere like Samknows. It may be that there's 21CN or WBC work going on at the moment, which will cause drops in sync and, in the former case, complete loss of phone service from time to time. Other than that, the only route open to you is to try connecting to the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket (if you have an NTE5). If the problems persist, IDNet can investigate for you.
Rik
--------------------