Strange disconnect issue

Started by Archeros, Feb 19, 2009, 20:14:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Archeros

Hi everyone,
Ive recently migrated to Idnet from Orange, and it was the best decision weve made. All the many many many many problems we had have gone and im playing warcraft better than ever.
Unfortunately i seem to have 1 small problem and was hoping someone might have some idea whats wrong.

Atm we use a USRobotics Wireless MaxG gateway, there is 2 ethernet connected PCs, and 3 laptops, a Wii, PS3, and Xbox connected wirelessly (nvr all at the same time:)
Im one of the wired PCs and like i said i play world of warcraft...alot. But whenever we receive a phonecall, the second the call is ended i lose my connection. Very annoying if im in the middle of something, but whats strange is everything else doesnt lose their connections. My network says im still connected to the router but not to the the net and  i cant get it back unless i reboot the router (which is a pain for everyone else) rebooting my comp only doesnt seem to work.

Any idea what would cause just mine to drop?

cheers

David

Hi Archeros and welcome to the forum,I dont game so cant be any use to you,shouldnt be long before one of the gamers answers in the meantime have  one of these  :karma: and good luck with it  :fingers:

Good choice you made on the isp  :thumb:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Glenn

Hi Archeros,  :welc: :karma: Have you tried a different router on the line to see if it is the router causing the problem?
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

LesD

Hi Archeros and welcome to the forum from me too!  :)

I don't think that your problem is in any way related to the fact that you are a gamer. My first thought would be to check out your ADSL filters especially the one that the telephone is connected through. If this filter is dodgy why it only affects the PC you use is a puzzle but the purpose of these filters is to prevent the telephone signals interfering with the ADSL signals and vice versa.
Regards,

Les.

Simon

Hi Archeros, and  :welcome:

Just a shot in the dark, but you don't also have a dial up modem connected to the PC which is 'dropping', do you?
Simon.
--

Archeros

I havnt checked another router cuz i dont have another :) Ive been considering getting a new filter for awhile so maybe i should just do it, though im with you LesD i cant understand why stopping a phone call would effect just my connection.
Theres no dial up modem

cheers for your answers so far guys :)

LesD

One further thought is that since you have at least two Ethernet ports on the Router with PC's connected to them (you don't say if the Laptops are Ethernet or Wireless connected unless I have misread it) have you tried swapping these two ethernet port connection over to see if the problem stays with the Router port or stays with your PC. It would be a small start in a process of elimination without getting a new filter or borrowing another Router.
Regards,

Les.

Archeros

The router has 4 ports, only 2 are used so i have moved the cable to another and will c how that goes.....now, just gotta w8 for someone to ring so i can test it, hehe

Simon

We have 1284 members - post your phone number!

NOOO!!  It was a joke!  ;D
Simon.
--

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Glenn

If you have a mobile, you could always use that to call with ;)
Glenn
--------------------

Sebby

Welcome to the forum, Archeros! :karma:

It sounds like it's the filters to me, but it could be your internal wiring. Try changing the filters first - these are probably considered to be the best "soap on a rope" type. Or if you connect your router at the master socket, a better solution is a filtered faceplate, which does aware with the need for microfilters on extensions. Have a look at the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 if you're going to go down this route.

Ted

If its not the filter or the router then perhaps its the phone, is it wireless? Or maybe the NIC in your machine. Strange ???
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Gary

Quote from: Sebby on Feb 19, 2009, 23:29:08
Welcome to the forum, Archeros! :karma:

It sounds like it's the filters to me, but it could be your internal wiring. Try changing the filters first - these are probably considered to be the best "soap on a rope" type. Or if you connect your router at the master socket, a better solution is a filtered faceplate, which does aware with the need for microfilters on extensions. Have a look at the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 if you're going to go down this route.
I'll back Sebby on the XTE-2005 filtered faceplate, works a charm and saves a lt of issues, also make sure your cabling is cat 5 not the thin doorbell stuff, a friend of mine had this isue and had a plug in type extention from the mastersocket that was about 30 plus meters, the phone disconnected the computer, but that was on a dial up modem, never seen this issue with a router, but checking all your cabling and filters is the best bet to start. As Ted says, Strange  ???
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Hi Archeros and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

Rather than waiting for someone to call you, dial 17070 and select option 1, the ring back test. When it rings answer then put the phone down.
Rik
--------------------

davej99

Seen this problem before and was due to another appliance (phone, ans machine, skybox, dial-up modem, or whatever might be plugged in) not having a filter. Check this first. 

If that is all OK, would unplug everything but your BB modem/router (via filter) and then do ring back. Sky type boxes, which have silent answer, are often said to be to blame. Watch router sync light as well as PC. If goes yellow then steady blinking green, the fault is still present.  Connect PC by cable not wireless.

Then would unplug all extention cables possible and check again at primary BT socket. Then would remove primary BT socket split faceplate, if present, and connect to internal outlet via filter and check again. Then would change filter. This could be done right away if you have one. If not would check other stuff first before spending money, and this is best done on a good quality filtered faceplate. Advice on this and other stuff here.

After all that, my guess is a modem/router or BT problem. If you can borrow another modem/router try it. Could try a BT line check from 100 etc.

With these results I would talk to IDNET, who are very good at helping customers with all kind of problems. Remember many BB problem originate on the user side.

Rik

Sound advice, Dave. IDNet will ask you to do all these things before they get BT involved to avoid you ending up with a hefty (£160+) bill if BT find no fault on their side of the master socket.
Rik
--------------------

iankathy

Hi Archeros,

I have experienced pretty much the same symptoms that you describe i.e. when a phone call is cleared down, the router looses the ADSL session. I have a much simpler set-up, namely one laptop that is connected by wifi. The router/modem is a Zyxel 660HW-T1, and I am fairly close to an exchange, having a line loss of 23 dB, so it runs at the maximum rate. My diagnosis is the interaction between the DECT telephone base unit and the modem unit. I do not believe it involves the wifi link to the laptop. The effect I observe does not happen whilst a call is in progress, as you say, it is at the clear-down stage - although it does not happen on every occurrence. A further observation is that if the call is cleared down from the remote handset, then the ADSL session is not always lost. However, if the handset is returned to the cradle, and the cleardown initiated as a "default", then session loss is 100% likely.

One point of interest though is that following a session interrupt, after a short while my modem begins the "re-connection" procedures without the need to reboot it.

I am currently renting a place with just a master socket, so there is only limited separation that can be achieved between the modem and telephone base unit. It would be interesting to see whether your problem can be reduced by placing the telephone base unit well away from your modem?

With kind regards,

Ian.

Steve

Are you thinking there's a burst of noise perhaps when its placed back in the base unit/charger.
Steve
------------

iankathy

Hi Stevethegas,

Rather than a burst of noise, I suspect there is a some form of "vigerous" handshake, at the DECT frequencies, between the telephone handset and the base unit at call cleardown. If the modem has questionable immunity to local interference in this band, then this could cause a malfunction leading to the loss of session.

Ian.

Ted

The ADSL session is not being lost as its fine for all other computers connected to the router. It only affects the computer that Archeros uses, which is why it is so strange.
Ted

Rik

Particularly as he is using a wired connection, Ted.  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

That's why I suggested the router. Another thing to try would be a different NIC in the PC, another network cable, different port on the router
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

There are times when you want to be able to get your hands on the hardware, aren't there. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ted

I'd go for the router port or the NIC, although i can't really see how the phone would cause the problem ???

If it were a dial up modem, that would make sense!
Ted