Business V Home Services

Started by melbob, Feb 20, 2009, 13:22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

melbob

Hi all

I've recently joined Idnet and am really happy with the service so far. So much so that I'm thinking of using them for phone line and internet connection when I move offices shortly. It's great that I can have a monthly contract for both rather than be tied to BT for 12 or even 18 months. I'd just like to ask for any views/advice on which package I should go for and I'm not particularly technical. 

I know that I have to have a business phone line as its a commercial property. Does anyone have any experience of Idnet's business telephone services?

Its the broadband package I'm not entirely sure about. It's only a very small business with 1 to 2 persons. There wouldn't be any downloading of videos etc, just general emailing and surfing. Also, a bit of skype usage. The business packages offer download limits of 10GB or 50GB and I know that 50GB will be far too much for me. Do you think 10GB would be enough though? Also the enhanced care appeals to me as I've recently have terrible problems with my previous ISP. Firstly, I had no service at all for a staggering 6 weeks and then intermittent service for another 8 weeks. Hence the move to Idnet. I am trying to keep costs to a minimum but because of my previous experience, I'm terrified that the same will happen again. On the other hand I could go for Home Max and I am sure that 30GB will be more than enough and I wouldn't have to worry about going over. However, I'm worried that with a Home package, I could be without a connection again as there is no quick turnaround after a fault is reported. I'm not sure though if I'm just being paranoid and whether my experience is highly unusual.

Any views would be much appreciated and thanks for your time. 

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

I would suggest you talk to IDNet (0800 0267237) and discuss your needs, see what they suggest. I'm on a business package at the moment, and the improved ping times are noticeable due to priority at the exchange. However, unless I monitor them, I'm not really aware of that. For surfing and email, a home package would almost certainly be adequate, though Skype, or any VOIP usage, would be better with that priority.

How much download allowance you would need is hard to assess, but if you really are only surfing, emailing and keeping Windows up to date, then 5-10GB/month will almost certainly be adequate.

If the net usage is mission critical for the business, though, you'd probably want to opt for the business package with SLA as an additional payment. IDNet is buying the phone service from BT, so it's essentially the same package that you'd get there, though at a different price.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

I know one thing, Rik, they are certainly fast when you arrange a change of package, I've just upgraded to Home Max and it took 11 minutes from submitting the request on Idnet site to getting an email from James saying it was done.  :thumb: :thumb:
Ray
--------------------

uxbod

Home Super Max is worth the extra pennies for priority at the exchange :)

davej99

Quote from: Rik on Feb 20, 2009, 13:30:29
....... I'm on a business package at the moment, and the improved ping times are noticeable due to priority at the exchange. ......

Now I know how you get good pings, Rik, and mine are a bit iffy.  :o

melbob

Thanks for the advice Rik. If 10GB should be enough, then it's really just a matter of whether I want the extra protection and priority at the exchange. And given my previous experience, I should probably go for the business package for peace of mind.

You say business package with SLA as an additional payment. Sorry to be dim, but what  does SLA mean?

many thanks

Rik

Service level agreement, BT undertake to fix faults within 24 hours or give you compensation. :)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: davej99 on Feb 20, 2009, 14:20:28
Now I know how you get good pings, Rik, and mine are a bit iffy.  :o

The only difference I've noticed, Dave is shaving about 2ms off the ping, the graphs look the same but run from 19ms to about 26ms with occasional higher spikes. Previously, they ran from 21ms to about 26ms, so my average has improved a bit.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Sheltieuk on Feb 20, 2009, 13:53:55
I know one thing, Rik, they are certainly fast when you arrange a change of package, I've just upgraded to Home Max and it took 11 minutes from submitting the request on Idnet site to getting an email from James saying it was done.  :thumb: :thumb:

It's usually done overnight, Ray, if BT are involved or in minutes, as you've found out, when it's only an accounting change. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

David

Interesting thread welcome melbob :karma:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

melbob

thanks for the welcome guys and for the quick posts  :)

Rik

Quick is when we reply in less than 2 minutes. ;)
Rik
--------------------

trophymick

Eight minutes waiting for a reply :eek4: Come on guys, it's just not good enough :whistle:  :thumb:
And welcome :thumb:
Mick

David

They are all in your shed Mick...give em a break  ;D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

quandam

A little off topic here. I have to say what a different atmosphere this forum has from around 2 years plus ago.

Following this particular thread has shown me how big the difference is and the huge steps the mods have taken. I would say that the influence of Rik has been extremely influential in its improvements and forward thinking.

Thanks mods and in particular Rik for offering a sensible and level headed approach to this particular forum. Keep up the good work!

Simon

Nice to hear, thanks Quandam.  :)

:welc:  melbob, I hope you'll be very happy with IDNet.  :thumb:

Simon.
--

Lona

Rik's head is getting so big he can't get through the door,Quandam. I hope he paid you enough. ;)

:welc: melbob. :)

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Ray

Ray
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Lona on Feb 20, 2009, 22:37:49
Rik's head is getting so big he can't get through the door,Quandam. I hope he paid you enough. ;)

:welc: melbob. :)

Rik said something like, "the cheque is in the post".  :-\

Rik

I didn't say where I'd sent it though. ;D

Thanks for those kind comments, Quandam, we really appreciate them. The forum has changed over the past 18 months or so, but I'm only part of that change, the members are the forum, it's they who make the difference. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

We also should warn you that Rik is an expert at spending other peoples money.  ;D :whistle: :out:
Ray
--------------------

Rik

;D

Moi?  :angel: Now that Glenn... He's cost me a fortune in meat and cornish pasties.  8)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Feb 21, 2009, 10:27:25
;D

Moi?  :angel: Now that Glenn... He's cost me a fortune in meat and cornish pasties.  8)

I wonder who he learnt that from.  ;D  ::)
Ray
--------------------