Problems with Be and a CCA

Started by zappaDPJ, Feb 24, 2009, 19:04:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I had a similar issue with Force9 a few years back. i was using CCA, never again.

After the second month in which they took payment (ilegally), my CC company sent me an Affidavit form, which i signed and sent back, stating that i had no contract with Force9 and confirming they had no legal right to remove funds from my account. My payments were refunded and i heard no more about it.

Its very frustrating when they won't stop helping themselves to your money.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Frustrating is the polite term, Ted. CCAs should carry wealth warnings.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Force9 - now there's a name from the past. I remember when they were a pretty good ISP. Then they became part of (the old) PlusNet. :shake:

Simon

A story heard time and time again, Seb.
Simon.
--

Rik

Mergers and acquisitions are so often the death knell for good businesses. :(
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Rik on Feb 26, 2009, 13:02:44
Mergers and acquisitions are so often the death knell for good businesses. :(

Which is exactly what happened to my two previous ISPs, Pipex and Be.

While Pipex was still Pipex I had over 5 years of uninterrupted, high quality service. During that time there was one planned 30 minute outage for an infrastructure upgrade and I had to disconnect my router once to redecorate the room. My ping times never once went above 45 ms at peak and my throughput never varied noticeably either. The irony for me was that when Tiscali took over and moved me away from BT's antiquated system to their LLU'd network everything went to pot. Latency quadrupled and throughput went down to 56K levels at best. Most of the time I had no connection at all.
zap
--------------------

Rik

Strange that, Zappa. Pipex was my first dial-up ISP and I quickly fell out with them due to their colossal arrogance.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

I didn't experience that but then again I don't recall having to contact them for any reason.
zap
--------------------

Rik

In dial-up days, there were many phone calls over duff rack modems. :)
Rik
--------------------

sebt

What dissuaded me from Be, having an ADSL2 enabled exchange and router, were their T&C's - specifically the smallprint. They have a rolling 3 month notice period that, if MAC-shortened, incurs an automatic charge. So, if you want to leave, you must give them officia notice, wait 2.5+ months, get a MAC and migrate away (and hope the switch doesn't happen too early!). Also, you must return their router within 28 days or pay £100 as well. This all just sounds like hidden ways to stiff leavers and make an extra buck :(

Roll on IDnet ADSL2

Seb :)

Rik

Not too long now, Seb, provided your exchange is WBC enabled.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: sebt on Feb 28, 2009, 18:32:52
What dissuaded me from Be, having an ADSL2 enabled exchange and router, were their T&C's - specifically the smallprint. They have a rolling 3 month notice period that, if MAC-shortened, incurs an automatic charge. So, if you want to leave, you must give them officia notice, wait 2.5+ months, get a MAC and migrate away (and hope the switch doesn't happen too early!). Also, you must return their router within 28 days or pay £100 as well. This all just sounds like hidden ways to stiff leavers and make an extra buck :(

A one month contract would be better, but at least you can get out in a relatively short period of time. Most of the big ISPs tie you in for 12 months.