Started by Rik, Feb 28, 2009, 17:45:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Mar 02, 2009, 15:51:19
The rest of the staff already did. ;D

We haven't started yet!   :evil:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Quote from: LesD on Mar 02, 2009, 20:28:30
The question remains how did I get this IP Profile when I have not synced above 3500 kbps since last Autumn?

Have BT changed the 500 kbps band between maximum throughput and synch rate rounded to the nearest 500 kbps?
I recall mention some time ago about the possibility of this 500 figure coming down to 250 kbps but have heard no more about it.  :dunno:

Finally does anyone else with a Single SSID 2700HGV and the BT firmware get affected by the 12 day router reboot problem?

From the FAQ sticky...

Sync between 3424 & 3999 = Profile of 3000

So you can see that you are just high enough to get the profile you're on!

As for the BT software on the 2wire, I've not heard of anyone having the 300 hours problem. I've only seen it affect the SBC firmware.
Lance
_____

Rik

3456 does get you a 3000 profile, Les, the range for the latter is 3424-3999.
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Thanks for putting me right chaps!  :blush:

You can learn something new every day without a doubt!  :)

I will have to keep my eye on this reboot every 12 and a bit days phenomenon with my BT firmware.
I also have a suspicion that going to close to my router with the vacuum or should that be cyclone (not wishing to name drop) cleaner has the same effect!  ;)
Regards,

Les.

Sebby

It sounds like the router is scared of the vacuum. Maybe it's the 'noise'... ;) :out:

LesD

The picture below is about as good as gets for me at the moment!

With these stats from the info. I was given earlier in this thread by Lance and Rik you can see that it is skin of the teeth stuff to keep my IP Profile of 3000 kbps!

DSL                    Down       Up
Current Rate:      3424 kbs   448 kbs 
Max Rate:           3424 kbs   1056 kbs 
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin:  15.0 dB   25.0 dB 
Current Attenuation:  40.4 dB   26.0 dB 
Current Output Power:  19.1 dBm   11.9 dBm 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Regards,

Les.

Rik

If you could get that target margin down, Les, you'd get to about 4.5M.
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Quote from: Rik on Mar 07, 2009, 18:07:08
If you could get that target margin down, Les, you'd get to about 4.5M.
I know Rik I have been there in the past when the target noise margin was 12 dB

It's the drop in the evenings that kills me. These are the Stats now:
DSL                         Down  Up
Current Rate:       3424 kbs   448 kbs 
Max Rate:            3424 kbs   1056 kbs 
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin:  13.0 dB   25.0 dB 
Current Attenuation:  40.4 dB   26.0 dB 
Current Output Power:  19.0 dBm   11.9 dBm 

and that 13 dB will be 10 by 8 PM

IDNet did get the 15 db reduced to 9 dB for me last year and I was synching 1000 kbps higher but it did not last long before it was back at 15 dB.  :(

Maybe 9 dB was aiming too low and I should ask again for 12dB but I feel that this is just being a nuisance as with a 3000 kbps IP Profile I can do all I need to. So I have my  :fingers: that it will stay there.
Regards,

Les.

Rik

You may have to make the classic trade of speed versus stability, Les. I prefer the latter, so opted for a 9db margin to give me it. It's not ideal, but we have to make the best of a BT bad job. :(
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Quote from: Rik on Mar 07, 2009, 18:18:06
You may have to make the classic trade of speed versus stability, Les. I prefer the latter, so opted for a 9db margin to give me it. It's not ideal, but we have to make the best of a BT bad job. :(

Is your 9 dB fixed Rik?

When IDNet got BT to reduce my margin from 15 to 9 dB at the first unscheduled router reboot it went straight back to 15 dB.
I would be fine with the trade off of stability for the speed advantage I would get if the target noise margin would stay at 9 dB or even 12 dB for that matter!
Regards,

Les.

Rik

Yes, mine is fixed, Les, but my line is not unstable enough to trigger any raise - on average these days I'll only re-sync every month or so.
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Quote from: Rik on Mar 07, 2009, 18:27:53
Yes, mine is fixed, Les,

Can anyones target noise margin on their line be fixed? If so perhaps I should ask support if mine could be set at a fixed value.
Regards,

Les.

Rik

It could when I did it, but it's fixed as a minimum - iow, if DLM kicked in, it could be raised, but it won't be lowered back to 6.
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Quote from: Rik on Mar 07, 2009, 18:36:07
but it's fixed as a minimum.
Ah I see.

The lowest mine goes is 10 dB from the 15dB in daylight hours. I don't recall a 6 dB since I stopped using my old Netgear router! With that one it was always down from 6 dB in daylight to 0 db in the evenings or below with the negative "hex type numbers" you told me about round this time last year, before I got my 2700HGV. I guess fixed at a minimum is no good to me. :(
Regards,

Les.

Rik

Not a lot. However, if you can ever get back to 12, having it fixed there might be a good move, reasonable speed and reasonable stability.
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Quote from: Rik on Mar 07, 2009, 18:49:16
Not a lot. However, if you can ever get back to 12, having it fixed there might be a good move, reasonable speed and reasonable stability.
Yes that's worth thinking about. Thanks.
Regards,

Les.