IDNet customer reports 2700HGV updated to BT V6 firmware

Started by JB, Mar 09, 2009, 10:11:52

Previous topic - Next topic

quandam

Quote from: stevethegas on Mar 10, 2009, 22:43:24
Right Quandam off you go! :thumb:

Eventually turned the lights on in my darkened room, rubbed my eyes and gave the 2700 yet another go following the latest instructions. Not good news I am afraid.

Followed the instructions to the letter, there are some gaps in the info but I improvised. Came up against the mentioned red lights moving across the screen (no, I wasn't dreaming or experiencing a nightmare!) and no matter what I did was unable to take the process any further. I did however manage to change the password without much trouble but it would not accept the IDNet log in details. I must have tried 8 to10 times changing my route each time without success.

Of course, it could well be me that is unable to complete the task at hand but I did give it a go. Very disappointing to say the least, I will keep the old fingers crossed for more information becoming available over the coming days and weeks :dunno:

Rik

I wonder if you get could hold of one with the older firmware?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

Quote from: quandam on Mar 11, 2009, 12:52:35
. Came up against the mentioned red lights moving across the screen (no, I wasn't dreaming or experiencing a nightmare!) and no matter what I did was unable to take the process any further.

I take it you are definitely using a tabbed browser such as Firefox, opening a new  browser window may fail. 

Apparently, if you do not immediately open a new tab when the red lights appear then the process will fail and the original tab will eventually show an error message.

To open the new tab quickly enough you need to have a bookmark for http://192.168.1.254 and to use it.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

quandam

Quote from: kinmel on Mar 11, 2009, 14:59:47
I take it you are definitely using a tabbed browser such as Firefox, opening a new  browser window may fail. 

Apparently, if you do not immediately open a new tab when the red lights appear then the process will fail and the original tab will eventually show an error message.

To open the new tab quickly enough you need to have a bookmark for http://192.168.1.254 and to use it.

kinmel

I am using FF.

You may well be right. I found that part of the process quite intricate and like yourself think that is where everything went on the fritz. If possible, could you talk me through that particular part of the process remembering that it has to be in basic language for me to absorb the info.

If you can help it would be appreciated and I would love to give it another go. :dunno:

Edit: Quote markup sorted.

kinmel

Quote from: quandam on Mar 11, 2009, 18:22:53
kinmel

I am using FF.

You may well be right. I found that part of the process quite intricate and like yourself think that is where everything went on the fritz. If possible, could you talk me through that particular part of the process remembering that it has to be in basic language for me to absorb the info.

If you can help it would be appreciated and I would love to give it another go. :dunno:

First off, YOU are our resident expert  :bawl: - you are the only person on the forum to have tried to configure a V6 2700HGV !

Reading elsewhere, apparently the problem comes once the red lights are flashing, if you take too long to open the new tab then the process fails.

In my last post above yours I made what i believe is a common mistake in saying to open a new tab to http://192.168.1.254, that is wrong since it does not open a page that is on the internet.

You may well already be doing exactly what is written below and if so there is no additional advice available just now - have a play with various ways and see what happens, write down what you do so you can share your knowledge if you are successful !

Here is the process as we understand it now.

make sure that you have a bookmark to a proper website on your bookmarks toolbar, e.g www.idnetters.co.uk.

enter http://192.168.1.254 into firefox so that your pc connects to the hub without trying to connect to the internet.

Then open a new tab using your www.idnetters.co.uk bookmark, so that the browser tries to connect to the internet.

This will start the connection wizard, apply your Idnet user name and password plus the newly reset hub password as required then click Save.

You will then get a page that says Re-attempting, with scrolling red dots across the screen.

At this point immediately open another tab using the www.idnetters.co.uk bookmark (Note: This avoids an error message appearing) which will say Resolution Successful.

The previous tab that was saying Re-attempting will also change to say Resolution Successful.

You can close both these tabs and check the link settings in Setting > Broadband > Link Configuration.

You will need to close the browser completely before accessing the internet.

Good luck  :thumb:

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

quandam

Quote from: kinmel on Mar 11, 2009, 19:18:25
First off, YOU are our resident expert  :bawl: - you are the only person on the forum to have tried to configure a V6 2700HGV !

Reading elsewhere, apparently the problem comes once the red lights are flashing, if you take too long to open the new tab then the process fails.

In my last post above yours I made what i believe is a common mistake in saying to open a new tab to http://192.168.1.254, that is wrong since it does not open a page that is on the internet.

You may well already be doing exactly what is written below and if so there is no additional advice available just now - have a play with various ways and see what happens, write down what you do so you can share your knowledge if you are successful !

Here is the process as we understand it now.

make sure that you have a bookmark to a proper website on your bookmarks toolbar, e.g www.idnetters.co.uk.

enter http://192.168.1.254 into firefox so that your pc connects to the hub without trying to connect to the internet.

Then open a new tab using your www.idnetters.co.uk bookmark, so that the browser tries to connect to the internet.

This will start the connection wizard, apply your Idnet user name and password plus the newly reset hub password as required then click Save.

You will then get a page that says Re-attempting, with scrolling red dots across the screen.

At this point immediately open another tab using the www.idnetters.co.uk bookmark (Note: This avoids an error message appearing) which will say Resolution Successful.

The previous tab that was saying Re-attempting will also change to say Resolution Successful.

You can close both these tabs and check the link settings in Setting > Broadband > Link Configuration.

You will need to close the browser completely before accessing the internet.

Good luck  :thumb:

Thanks for all that.

Will go into my darkened room for this evening (& night) and give it a go tomorrow (Thurs) when things have calmed down. :dunno: Thanks again for your help :thumb:

Simon

Just a point, does it have to be tabs, or can the same be achieved by opening new browser windows?  Worth trying both, perhaps?
Simon.
--

quandam

STILL NO LUCK!  :eek4:

Tried to set the router up once more. Simply can't get past the pop up saying that 'BB connection unavailable'. I choose the 'check connection' button (as far as I can see none of the info offered actually mentions this particular button in the bottom left hand corner) the scrolling red lines appear once again, immediately click on a live URL and nothing happens. Sorry guys have tried my best, but no success.

The story continues.............

Rik

I wonder if you're near to any of us with 2700s, so we could try it for you?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I am correct in thinking that no BB connection means no adsl connection with the local exchange? So Quandam what colour is the broadband light  and what colour is the internet light?

The tripod page has been updated today and they are looking for volunteers to try out a method of blocking the upgrade see here

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGVbtV5editACSurl.htm

Frequently Asked Questions:

* Is the new firmware being propagated to any 2700HGV with v5.29.107.19 or v5.29.117.6 using BT keycode which are NOT on the BT business or home broadband networks?  Yes.  BT v5.29.117.6 Dual SSID hubs appear to be targeted at this present moment in time (Mar 09)
    * Can the v6 firmware upgrade be blocked using DNS Poisoning?  No.  It doesn't seem to work.
    * BT v5.29.107.x firmwares have a 'Remote Management' check box in the Advanced Firewall menu.  Will unticking it block the firmware upgrade?   From experience of previous firmware upgrades, the answer is No.
    * Can changing the key code block any forced upgrade?  No, as an o2 user has reported he was using 2wire's manual setup generic key code.
    * Is there any other way of blocking the v6 upgrade?  Simon has stumbled across a way of changing the name of the provisioning server on a hub with BT v5.29.107.12 recovery firmware.  If this is applied to current BT v5.29.117.6 and v5.29.107.19 firmwares, it perhaps may be a way of blocking the v6 firmware upgrades.  This is very much still work in progress and we could do with help from readers who's hubs have not yet been upgraded. 
    * Can the new v6 firmware be unlocked for use on other networks?  We now believe the answer is 'Yes' based on our knowledge of 'upgraded' hubs.  But we need feedback/confirmation from other users.
    * Have any Single SSID 2700HGV hubs been upgraded to BT v6.x firmware?   We don't know at the moment.
    * Is any BT firmware immune from this v6 upgrade?  We believe all BT v4.x and the BT v5.29.107.12 'recovery' firmware are immune - no guarantees though!  Alternatively, the Singtel firmware is immune.
    * Has BT started shipping brand new 2700HGV hubs with v6 firmware already pre-installed?  Ian advises his brand new Dual SSID hub with Assembly no. ending in -008 shipped with v6.1.1.48-enh.tm with serial no. commencing 4308 (which places the manufacture date around Oct 2008).
    * If I enable OpenZone function on my hub, does this mean it becomes an OpenZone hotspot?  According to BT's website, OpenZone will not work on hubs connected to 3rd party networks, but we have observed OpenZone function can be 'enabled' on our hubs connected to PlusNet.  PlusNet is owned by BT so this may possibly just be an oversight by BT.

Steve
------------

quandam

Quote from: stevethegas on Mar 12, 2009, 15:26:38
I am correct in thinking that no BB connection means no adsl connection with the local exchange? So Quandam what colour is the broadband light  and what colour is the internet light?

The tripod page has been updated today and they are looking for volunteers to try out a method of blocking the upgrade see here

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGVbtV5editACSurl.htm

Frequently Asked Questions:

* Is the new firmware being propagated to any 2700HGV with v5.29.107.19 or v5.29.117.6 using BT keycode which are NOT on the BT business or home broadband networks?  Yes.  BT v5.29.117.6 Dual SSID hubs appear to be targeted at this present moment in time (Mar 09)
    * Can the v6 firmware upgrade be blocked using DNS Poisoning?  No.  It doesn't seem to work.
    * BT v5.29.107.x firmwares have a 'Remote Management' check box in the Advanced Firewall menu.  Will unticking it block the firmware upgrade?   From experience of previous firmware upgrades, the answer is No.
    * Can changing the key code block any forced upgrade?  No, as an o2 user has reported he was using 2wire's manual setup generic key code.
    * Is there any other way of blocking the v6 upgrade?  Simon has stumbled across a way of changing the name of the provisioning server on a hub with BT v5.29.107.12 recovery firmware.  If this is applied to current BT v5.29.117.6 and v5.29.107.19 firmwares, it perhaps may be a way of blocking the v6 firmware upgrades.  This is very much still work in progress and we could do with help from readers who's hubs have not yet been upgraded. 
    * Can the new v6 firmware be unlocked for use on other networks?  We now believe the answer is 'Yes' based on our knowledge of 'upgraded' hubs.  But we need feedback/confirmation from other users.
    * Have any Single SSID 2700HGV hubs been upgraded to BT v6.x firmware?   We don't know at the moment.
    * Is any BT firmware immune from this v6 upgrade?  We believe all BT v4.x and the BT v5.29.107.12 'recovery' firmware are immune - no guarantees though!  Alternatively, the Singtel firmware is immune.
    * Has BT started shipping brand new 2700HGV hubs with v6 firmware already pre-installed?  Ian advises his brand new Dual SSID hub with Assembly no. ending in -008 shipped with v6.1.1.48-enh.tm with serial no. commencing 4308 (which places the manufacture date around Oct 2008).
    * If I enable OpenZone function on my hub, does this mean it becomes an OpenZone hotspot?  According to BT's website, OpenZone will not work on hubs connected to 3rd party networks, but we have observed OpenZone function can be 'enabled' on our hubs connected to PlusNet.  PlusNet is owned by BT so this may possibly just be an oversight by BT.

Steve

Thanks for your post.

All the lights remain green other than the top one that shows red briefly when the power plug is attached.

Do you realise that my router is new with the latest v6.1.1.48-enh.tm pre-installed with the S/N starting with 4308 as above?  :thumb:

Steve

Thanks Quandam, Looks like you await further updates. Sorry the post was in two parts (not clearly identified)the latter to inform those who have avoided an upgrade so far.
Steve
------------

quandam

Quote from: Rik on Mar 12, 2009, 14:58:49
I wonder if you're near to any of us with 2700s, so we could try it for you?

Rik

I honestly feel at the moment that BT, with the latest firmware have closed the door temporarily to us. No doubt things will change rapidly and a solution will be found. So, at the moment, there is very little that can be done. I hope I am wrong. :fingers:

Rik

You may well be right, Quandam. I hope it doesn't last too long.
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: quandam on Mar 12, 2009, 17:37:27

All the lights remain green other than the top one that shows red briefly when the power plug is attached.

Quandam,

There is something wrong here.

When you are NOT connected to your ISP the bottom LED, labelled "Internet", is red, if it is green then you have a PPP connection to an ISP.

please confirm whether each of the following LEDs are either RED, GREEN, or OFF.

1. Power

2. Ethernet
3. USB-PC
4. Wireless
5 Phone 1
6 Phone 2

7. Broadband
8  Internet

Have you had the PM I sent you today ?
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

quandam

Quote from: kinmel on Mar 12, 2009, 19:55:12
Quandam,

There is something wrong here.

When you are NOT connected to your ISP the bottom LED, labelled "Internet", is red, if it is green then you have a PPP connection to an ISP.

please confirm whether each of the following LEDs are either RED, GREEN, or OFF.

1. Power

2. Ethernet
3. USB-PC
4. Wireless
5 Phone 1
6 Phone 2

7. Broadband
8  Internet

Have you had the PM I sent you today ?

Yes, thanks for that.

Answers:

1. Green except red momentarily on power connection.
2. Green
3.Off
4. Off
5. Off
6. Off
7. Green flashing
8. Off. No red

The stumbling block appears to be the 'BB Unavailable' pop up'.  The option in the bottom left hand corner (check connection) is different from all the info available.

Steve

Looking at your results, I think the router is not even connecting to your local exchange . I'm sure someone will comment further with a possible solution.
Steve
------------

Lance

I agree - you would expect the broadband light to be solid green to indicate sync has been achieved.
Lance
_____

Rik

Thirded. Can you try it on another ADSL line, Quandam?
Rik
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: stevethegas on Mar 13, 2009, 14:07:33
Looking at your results, I think the router is not even connecting to your local exchange . I'm sure someone will comment further with a possible solution.

Thanks Steve.

At the moment I have Bill from the main problem solving (2700 router) web site on the case. So its  :fingers: that he can sort me out. Appreciate all the help and advice offered. :thumb:

Steve

Steve
------------

Steve

Now its working any evidence of UPNP in v6. XP should show it as new device if its set to display UPNP devices
Steve
------------