More trouble for Tiscali

Started by Noreen, Mar 09, 2009, 11:27:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

Freeserve for dial-up and then for broadband F2S and IDNet for me. ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Well, at least it would be one less ISP to avoid. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It's more of a reason to avoid TalkTalk. :P

Rik

Rik
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Sebby on Mar 09, 2009, 13:27:16
I think if Sky was to buy Tiscali, things could only improve. Even if they didn't move people onto their LLU platform, the IPStream service has to be better than Tiscali's.

Nothing, nothing, can be worse than Sky's Connect package (IP stream) it is the world's worst after 5pm. Take it from someone who has experienced it, first hand. :eek4:

Rik

I'm quite willing to listen, Q, and knowing what their TV support is like, I'm not sure I could take it. :)
Rik
--------------------

drummer

As a former Tiswas subscriber, there's a tiny part of me that wants to see this pathetic excuse of an ISP to die an undignified and humiliating death.

That said though, it would leave thousands of innocent punters wandering around the interweb with no clue about what they should do next for broadband connection.

Schadenfreude is such a compelling reaction though... :whistle:
To stay is death but to flee is life.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

I'm keeping a close eye on this because I'm in litigation with Tiscali/Pipex and I don't want them to disappear before I at least have an enforceable judgement against them.

As far as their users are concerned I'm not really sure that a buyout is the best option. I would take a guess that a very large proportion simply want to leave but are tied into a contract. I've no doubt that any company buying them out would be keen to maintain those contracts because they would be buying a customer base and not just infrastructure which is pretty dire in any case.

If they are allowed to go bust surely there would have to be a swift provision that would allow customers to migrate to a new ISP?
zap
--------------------

Rik

Not necessarily, Zappa. Usually, it becomes a cease and re-provide operation, costing customers £47 per head.
Rik
--------------------

David

They were highlighted on Watchdog last night and I was very dissappointed they seemed to be used as a way of promoting Watchdog rather than highlighting all the issues especially with the BB service.....
I  contacted Watchdog,with many others when I was with the Italian company .......it was ignored

Shame they seemed to get off lightly and the usual platitudes accepted  :shake:  Yeah right
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Rik on Mar 31, 2009, 09:52:17
Not necessarily, Zappa. Usually, it becomes a cease and re-provide operation, costing customers £47 per head.

Hmmm, that would not be good. Pipex inadvertently placed a cease on my line and I was out of action for a number of weeks. Oh and yes they did bill me for the re-provision  ::)
zap
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Mar 31, 2009, 10:03:53
They were highlighted on Watchdog last night and I was very dissappointed they seemed to be used as a way of promoting Watchdog rather than highlighting all the issues especially with the BB service.....
I  contacted Watchdog,with many others when I was with the Italian company .......it was ignored

Shame they seemed to get off lightly and the usual platitudes accepted  :shake:  Yeah right

Watchdog is a waste of space, imo, it's more interested in entertainment than helping consumers.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

I've just watched the Watchdog segment on Tiscali and what got me was even though the panel of experts had the full picture presented to them they still didn't comprehend what they were dealing with. They should have twigged from the lady who had no contract and yet was still being billed that there is virtually no way out. The company is dying and it's screwing as much money out of it's customer and ex-customer base as it can before it goes under and there's no way of dealing with situation even in law.

Rather ironically Watchdog have done nothing more than boosted Tiscali's reputation by giving the impression that they are company willing to take action on customer complaints.
zap
--------------------

David

Exactly I wont bother again after this ,they could have made a big story about this but not one mention of the BB service it focused on telephone services

Shame on you Watchdog  :shake:

I always get the urge to slap Nicky Campell  ;D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

I won't ask what you get the urge to do to Julia Bradbury.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

David

Who is this one ? is it the one who has been semi sacked ?

David

Had to google her..................no she gets on my nerves as well,too smug  :shake:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

The only smug one I like is Annie Robinson  ;D

Rik

She's not smug, she's acting smug. ;)
Rik
--------------------

David

I know thats what I like  >:D

Tacitus

Looks like people's wish may be granted and Tiscali heads down the gurgler....

"Tiscali "close to collapse" could leave 1m without broadband
UK ISP Tiscali is thought to be close to administration"

UK Macworld here.