More trouble for Tiscali

Started by Noreen, Mar 09, 2009, 11:27:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Not a happy position for its cutomers, Tac, I'd have my MAC request in by now. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pup

Quote from: drummer on Mar 31, 2009, 01:13:59
it would leave thousands of innocent punters wandering around the interweb with no clue about what they should do next for broadband connection.

surely with no isp they wouldn't be wandering anywhere??
Pup

Sitting on the fence......
And Laughing at both sides.

Simon

So, presumably, this means that any former Pipex customers may also soon be out on a limb?
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

I imagine CPW are waiting for them to collapse so they can buy them up at a fire sale price.  If they do, good luck to the engineers that get the thankless task of trying to integrate the various Tiscali acquisitions. 

I got Sis away from Pipex 12 months ago thank goodness.  A once great ISP reduced to something at the bottom of  a bargain bin. Very sad. 

Glenn

Quote from: Simon on Apr 16, 2009, 22:41:06
So, presumably, this means that any former Pipex customers may also soon be out on a limb?

Along with Toucan customers, who Pipex/Tiscali recently acquired.
Glenn
--------------------

Myst

I'm suprised no one was ever with Compuserve. They were my 1st ISP back in the mid 90's. Still have a big white book somewhere with loads of good info (for the time) in

I remember having a load of numbers for a username that wa the norm with them from some old architecture they used. AOL, Freeserve, Pipex (when they were good) Madasafish then here.

Glad to see Tiscali go though, knew folk who went with them on the strength of the adverts and also they knew little of pc's and providers. When they eventually sussed it out couldn't get a Mac code and had to cancel the account to get away.
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is optional

Rik

I was with Compuserve, Myst, I was a wizop (admin) running the Adobe & DTP forums. Happy days. :)
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Dialup with Claranet & Screaming.net (Wannado took them over I believe) , then with BB to F2S and here
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

How many dial ups can I remember...

Compuserve, AOL, Pipex, Enterprise.net, Prestel, Virgin, Wanabee/Orange, Waitrose, Demon, BBC, Claranet plus a few more I can't remember.

ADSL: Orange, Nildram, IDNet - no more needed after that. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I read yesterday about the auditors not wanting to sign off. Worrying...

Even more worrying is that The Gadget Show recently recommended them, and they're not the only ones that do silly things like this. :o

Rik

I don't trust much that the gadget show recommends. :)
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

I'm very much in two minds about the way I feel regarding Tiscali's impending demise.

On the one hand it'll probably stop the threats I receive on a weekly basis from the bailiffs. On the other hand the court case I'm bring against them will prove to be a total waste of time, money and energy. There's been a lot of talk about how terrible it will be for their staff to lose their jobs at such a difficult time. I certainly have some sympathy for the over seas call center cannon fodder but none at all for the Italian and UK based staff. 'I was only following orders' was never a valid excuse in my book, what goes around, comes around  :P
zap
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Rik on Mar 31, 2009, 10:09:00
Watchdog is a waste of space, imo, it's more interested in entertainment than helping consumers.

Absolutely correct Rik. An extremely sensible observation!

Rik

I won't watch it now, Q, it's descended so low. :(
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

QuoteAround 1.7m customers of internet provider Tiscali have been offered a £50 bribe to switch to rival firm TalkTalk.............
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bbphone/article.html?in_article_id=483025&in_page_id=165&ito=1565

Rik

The vultures are circling. :(
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Well if you're getting paid to go from hell to hell, I don't see the problem. :P

Rik

It depends how much heat you like. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Noreen

Wouldn't it be funny if every one of those 1.7m Tiscali customers took up Talk Talk's £50 offer, it would be rather expensive. ;D

Rik

Then it might be a case of bailing out TalkTalk. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 17, 2009, 12:43:36
I don't trust much that the gadget show recommends. :)
I tend to find them a bunch of plonkers, Rik. After recommending a version 7 Zonealarm firewall come antispyware suite that crashed and was hated by its user base beyond belief and caused so many to leave Zonealarm, I wonder if the bald chap actually used it, or just googled " software firewall" and Zonealarm was the top hit, but he did not read the reasons why  ::) Zonealarm never seem to get a mention these days in reviews, the only thing I ever liked was the icon that moved showing incoming and outgoing data, that little red and green thing in your system tray.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

I'm not convinced they research anything, it's more about entertainment and personalities than Gadgets. :(
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 26, 2009, 08:01:43
I'm not convinced they research anything, it's more about entertainment and personalities than Gadgets. :(
I completely agree, Rik what I find more alarming is people might think they do know what they are talking about, saying that the show last time I saw a link for it seemed to have gone down the Top Gear route, and become about technology thats prohibitively expensive or nonsensical to most people
Damned, if you do damned if you don't