new hub just connected

Started by henryp, Mar 10, 2009, 14:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

henryp

I was asking on another thread about wireless connections with a view to buying a laptop.Anyway I took the plunge and got a cheap business hub off ebay.I connected as the stickies said with no problems and I,m using it now.On this model as stated elsewhere,there isn,t the option to tick/untick remote management. Any suggestions please on the wirless settings? Laptop being setup this weekend

Rik

What settings in particular, Henry?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

henryp

Under wireless security I,ve ticked enable authentication  wpa2-psk then put a dot in use default encryption key. What does use custom pass phrase mean and should I be using this instead??

Rik

Either will work just fine, Henry. I tend to create my own alphanumeric keys, copy them into notepad, then cut'n'paste into the router and each machine that connects to it wirelessly.

There's a key generator here:

http://www.speedguide.net/wlan_key.php

which will give you very high levels of security.
Rik
--------------------

Ted

Another secure key generator HERE
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

uxbod

If you let us know what key you use we can let you know whether it is secure or not >:D ;)

Sebby

henryp

Quote from: uxbod on Mar 10, 2009, 16:28:41
If you let us know what key you use we can let you know whether it is secure or not >:D ;)

Nice one :evil:

henryp

Rik,
Under settings ---atm circuit vpi 0
                         vci is 35 is that right?
                         atm cap    bridged llc  is that right?

Rik

VCI should be 38, Henry, and then you should have Router VC-Mux.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

If the ATM PVC box is ticked, then it will pick up the correct settings for the line, but I would think you would be better to set it to Router VC-Mux
Glenn
--------------------

Sebby

I agree. I prefer to set it manually. :)

henryp

I was updated to v6.1.1.48 overnight. N o problems as yet ???  Home page now has bt logo on it and menus are different

Rik

That seems to be what happens, Henry. If you've made your connection already, it sticks.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

henryp

New lappy just on charge.Now I just got to figure out how to set the wireless side up on it and the hub.I read the replies about generating a key. A bit bewildered which one to generate ascii or hex.Having got a clue what they mean.Should I use the 504 wpa key for maximum safety? Sorry for going off subject but please move it if needed

Rik

You're not off topic, Henry, not by our standards. :) An ASCII key is probably easier to type. Initially, though, you could set up something simple, eg Rik1Bean2rules3 ;), get the system working, then download a longer and more complex key for maximum security. However, if you don't have near neighbours, you may feel that a basic level of security is adequate.
Rik
--------------------

henryp

Having a mare trying to set up wireless to hub.Generated a code put in bt hub then put in lappie but no connection.If I put the wep code off hub in and into lappie it connects ok whats this fusuion wpa code for ???

Rik

The Fusion code is just for BT's VOIP service, Henry, you don't need to use it.
Rik
--------------------

henryp

thanks but if I generate a code and put in lappie it doesnt connect ???

Rik

OK, for a moment, turn off security at the router, can you then connect the laptop to it wirelessly (and are you making the changes to the router from the cable-connected machine?).
Rik
--------------------

henryp

Quote from: Rik on Mar 11, 2009, 16:03:49
OK, for a moment, turn off security at the router, can you then connect the laptop to it wirelessly (and are you making the changes to the router from the cable-connected machine?).

I have got a wireless connection from lappie but it,s working on the code from side of hub.it says this code is wep and i,m trying to put a phrase code which I genenerated in as a wpa2

Rik

OK, if the wireless is working, then that's one problem out of the way. If you go to:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C05&THISPAGE=C01&NEXTPAGE=C05

you should see a screen like the one below. I've highlighted the two areas of interest. Select WPA in the drop down, then enter your key and save it.

Now, on the laptop, right click on the wireless icon in the system tray, select (from memory) 'view all networks', then highlight yours and hit connect, you should get a dialogue box asking you to enter the key twice. Once the connection is made, the key will be remembered.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Rik
--------------------

henryp

Thanks for all the help.I am now up and running.I was generating a code but got a mixed up typing it in. I think a visit to the optician  is nearing ;)

Rik

Glad you've got there, Henry.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Cut and paste is the easiest solution, Henry, especially with a 63 character key!  Glad you got it sorted.  :thumb:
Simon.
--