Google start behavioural advertising

Started by Gary, Mar 12, 2009, 12:51:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Google vis thier doubelclick cookies are using surfing habits to cough up adverts, you can opt out, but if you clear your cookies you would need to opt out again, there is a plugin for IE and Firefox to opt out permanently but not for Safari, Opera or Chrome. Story here from el reg. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/11/google_behavioral_advertising/
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Mar 12, 2009, 12:52:49
I never look at the ads anyway. :)
I never see them as I use AdMuncher  ;D but its useful for those that don't want to have their browsing habits turned into ads. God knows what mine would look like if I could see them  :evil:

Simon

Apart from those I choose to save, all my cookies are deleted after each browsing session, so it doesn't worry me.
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Mar 12, 2009, 13:01:33
Apart from those I choose to save, all my cookies are deleted after each browsing session, so it doesn't worry me.
Thats the thing each time you delete the cookies, Simon, google puts the tracking back on next session, the opt out plugin stops that it appears, not that I trust Google that much

Simon

I only use Google on an ad-hoc basis, so it still doesn't really bother me, Gary.  :)
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Mar 12, 2009, 13:12:50
I only use Google on an ad-hoc basis, so it still doesn't really bother me, Gary.  :)
Best way Simon, but for those that use youtube loads I can imagine it would be quite a pain

kinmel

If I remember correctly, don't paid for links appear on the right hand side of the page ?

If these are the same thing, then no worries, because the CustomizeGoogle addin already kills all such cr*p in my Firefox   :thumb:
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Gary

Quote from: kinmel on Mar 12, 2009, 17:35:14
If I remember correctly, don't paid for links appear on the right hand side of the page ?

If these are the same thing, then no worries, because the CustomizeGoogle addin already kills all such cr*p in my Firefox   :thumb:
These are new I think but same idea, as the doubleclick thing watches you all day and then when you go to google dumps what you have been browsing on you as ads, admuncher kills them all for me so no worries but I hate being snooped on, but we all are anyway.

Niall

With regards to adverts, I've recently noticed that on a few websites I visit they have an advert that is specific to my area, and by area I mean town. At first I thought that obviously the websites involved must be a partner with another site that I'm signed up with, so they have my location info which is stored in a cookie. I checked my cookies but there actually weren't any other than that visit (I forgot I clear all cookies on browser exit), and this was the first site I visited, so where is this info stored? It's certainly not in a cookie on my system so are they recording the IP for the cookie so they can spam specific adverts at you when it's recorded against you at some point? If that is the case and you've got a dynamic IP address, it'd be possible for other people to get adverts not specific to them.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

cavillas

Ignoring the adverts is the best thing to do and it has no effect on browsing or searching anyway.  Much like tv the adverts come on but I ignore them as a minor distraction and never take notice of things they are advertising.
------
Alf :)

Simon

Quote from: Niall on Mar 14, 2009, 09:30:01
With regards to adverts, I've recently noticed that on a few websites I visit they have an advert that is specific to my area, and by area I mean town. At first I thought that obviously the websites involved must be a partner with another site that I'm signed up with, so they have my location info which is stored in a cookie. I checked my cookies but there actually weren't any other than that visit (I forgot I clear all cookies on browser exit), and this was the first site I visited, so where is this info stored? It's certainly not in a cookie on my system so are they recording the IP for the cookie so they can spam specific adverts at you when it's recorded against you at some point? If that is the case and you've got a dynamic IP address, it'd be possible for other people to get adverts not specific to them.

I've noticed that too, Niall, and also wondered how they tracked me.  I'm sure I've not seen any of those girls round here!
Simon.
--

Rik

This came up a few weeks ago, iirc. They seem to know where I am, but other people they got completely wrong. It's not as simple as IP address tracking, they're associating that with other data. We clearly leave a good trail.
Rik
--------------------

trophymick

Quote from: cavillas on Mar 14, 2009, 09:55:57
Ignoring the adverts is the best thing to do and it has no effect on browsing or searching anyway.  Much like tv the adverts come on but I ignore them as a minor distraction and never take notice of things they are advertising.

I always mute the TV when adverts come on, the sound always seems to rise :dunno:
Mick

Glenn

Try watching MotorsTV when the ads come on, you get deafened
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

That's a regular complaint, which Ofcom have explained away as being caused by greater audio compression used in ads. Yeah, right.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Nothing to do with the sound rising and making you look to see what caused it then
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Best thing to do is use Sky+ and skip all ads. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

LesD

I have just downloaded and installed the opt out plug-in from Google.
Simple and painless.  :thumb:
If everyone does it the likes of Google just might get the message. They rely on complacency to get away with it.

Now are you all signed up to telephone and postal preferential services? I trust you are!  ;)

I simply don't want to be targeted with junk advertising in any shape or form.  :no:  :no:  :no:
Regards,

Les.

Ann

I installed the plug in too.  I also use AdMuncher so wouldn't see the ads anyway but still they may as well not record my activity.

Sebby

Ray

Please can someone post a link to download the plug in, can't seem to find it.  :)
Ray
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Ann on Mar 14, 2009, 21:30:53
I installed the plug in too.  I also use AdMuncher so wouldn't see the ads anyway but still they may as well not record my activity.

I use AdMuncher as well Ann is really saves on page loading times, since Feb 2nd when I put it on my Laptop its blocked 14,738 ads and saved 115mb of bandwidth,

Niall

Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy