ADSL Noise Margin High!

Started by HoriZon, Mar 14, 2009, 12:55:21

Previous topic - Next topic

HoriZon

Hi all i'm new,

I had a lot of trouble with an old modem (DG834 v3) last week and got lots of disconnections as i was rebooting it a lot etc, bought a new modem a few days ago (newer DG834 v4) but now my noise level is so high its currently:

Connection Speed          5568 kbps          832 kbps
Line Attenuation          27.0 db         12.5 db
Noise Margin               17.3 db          10.0 db

I used to sync at 8128 kbps all the time with a Noise Margin around 6.0 db.

Never had any problems (other than it lowering my sync rate) on the old modem either it didnt disconnect it self at all, phoned idnet the other day and they said there was errors on the up stream which is the reason i got a new modem. They say this one isn't reporting any errors.

Being with idnet for over a year now but this is my first big problem, i know why its high because of all the rebooting but how long does it take to come back down or can i have it reset to a lower number manually??

Thanks

Mark
"Everybody has secrets, life would be boring without secrets, don't you think...?"

Ted

Quote from: HoriZon on Mar 14, 2009, 12:55:21
Hi all i'm new,

I had a lot of trouble with an old modem (DG834 v3) last week and got lots of disconnections as i was rebooting it a lot etc, bought a new modem a few days ago (newer DG834 v4) but now my noise level is so high its currently:

Connection Speed          5568 kbps          832 kbps
Line Attenuation          27.0 db         12.5 db
Noise Margin               17.3 db          10.0 db

I used to sync at 8128 kbps all the time with a Noise Margin around 6.0 db.

Never had any problems (other than it lowering my sync rate) on the old modem either it didnt disconnect it self at all, phoned idnet the other day and they said there was errors on the up stream which is the reason i got a new modem. They say this one isn't reporting any errors.

Being with idnet for over a year now but this is my first big problem, i know why its high because of all the rebooting but how long does it take to come back down or can i have it reset to a lower number manually??

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark and welcome

I'm assuming that you were on "fastpath" with a sync of 8128, you may have been kicked back to interleaved because of all the disconnections. That will ultimately keep your sync rate lower.
I think its about 5 days for a profile rise and 14 days for the NM to be lowered, if it works ::)

I believe IDNet can request that your NM can be lowered manually if you can convince them the problem is sorted. I'd give them a call.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

HoriZon

I plan to give them a call as soon as they open on Monday to ask them just that.

I can find out what i am on now with some software but it eludes me which software that is now?

Spoke to a Simon yesterday about the noise level and he did say wait it out basically but i am so impatient tbh, it always used to be 8128 and you kinda get used to it :)
"Everybody has secrets, life would be boring without secrets, don't you think...?"

Glenn

:welc: Mark  :karma: I believe what Ted has said is correct
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Hi Mark, and :welc:

Quote from: Ted on Mar 14, 2009, 13:16:58
I believe IDNet can request that your NM can be lowered manually if you can convince them the problem is sorted. I'd give them a call.

I believe it's more a question of IDNet being able to convince BT to reset the NM, which has been more difficult of late, but it might still be worth a call.
Simon.
--

Rik

Hi Mark and welcome. :karma:

I echo what the others have said, it's often a problem to get BT to reset NM unless they have a record of a cleared fault against the line.
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

Oh be patient most of us would die for stats like that  ;D

10days is the norm.

Or on your knees and grovel to idneton monday.

HoriZon

Its not really a fault on the line per say just a fault with my old modem now thats sorted with the new one i want back what i had!! :bawl:

Will find out if i'm on fastpath or interleaved later as i have remembered how to do it! :)

Rik

At this point, that has little impact, it's only when you get your sync speed back that it may matter. FYI, it's generally thought that 10 or more disconnections in an hour trigger the noise margin increase, so try to avoid too many reboots in a short space of time. If BT stick to the rules, you will need 14 days of stable connection before the margin drops by 3db, repeating again at 14 day intervals until you either reach 6db, or the line becomes unstable.
Rik
--------------------

Ted

Quote from: Simon on Mar 14, 2009, 13:44:08
Hi Mark, and :welc:

I believe it's more a question of IDNet being able to convince BT to reset the NM, which has been more difficult of late, but it might still be worth a call.

"convince them" should have read "convince BT". I should have made that more clear. :blush:
Ted

Rik

I knew what you meant, Ted. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

:welc: :karma:

I can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said. :)

HoriZon

Thanks for all the help guys.

One thing if i do request the interleaving to be changed to 'fast' (if its set wrong, not at home atm so cant test) do idnet charge for this as Nildram charged me to put it fast a few years ago???

Ann

No, there'll be no charge.  :o  IDNet did this for me last year.  It lasted a couple of days before it suddenly went zap and was back to interleaved.  My line is obviously error prone and it needs to be interleaved for stability.  I was glad I'd tried it though but won't try again.

HoriZon

OK at home now and just used telent to find out about Interleaving and its back on!

BusyBox v1.00 (2008.03.20-02:06+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 832 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5568 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                   G.DMT
Channel:                Interleave
Trellis:                ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):       15.3            10.0
Attn(dB):       27.0            12.5
Pwr(dBm):       19.8            12.4
Max(Kbps):      6112            1144
Rate (Kbps):    5568            832
                        G.dmt framing
K:              175(0)          27
R:              16              16
S:              1               8
D:              32              4
                        ADSL2 framing
MSGc:           1               1
B:              175             27
M:              1               8
T:              1               1
R:              16              16
S:              1.0909          8.5714
L:              1408            224
D:              32              4
                        Counters
SF:             3255855         3255914
SFErr:          15              29
RS:             221398170               27674189
RSCorr:         3335            549
RSUnCorr:       113             0

HEC:            9               24
OCD:            0               0
LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    726854659               0
Data Cells:     33681277                0
Drop Cells:     0
Bit Errors:     0               0

ES:             12              0
SES:            0               0
UAS:            21              0
AS:             55350

INP:            1.45            1.14
PER:            1.90            1.87
delay:          8.72            8.57
OR:             29.33           29.86

Bitswap:        0               0

Total time = 15 hours 23 min 4 sec
SF  = 3255855
CRC = 15
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 12
Latest 1 day time = 15 hours 23 min 4 sec
SF  = 3255855
CRC = 15
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 12
Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 4 sec
SF  = 28497
CRC = 1
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 1
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52923
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
SF  = 0
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52923
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52982
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 52923
CRC = 1
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 2
Showtime Drop Reason:   0
Last Retrain Reason:    0
#
#

Always had this off before so its this i will ask to be turned off on Monday.

As for the NM it sorta come down a little now.

karvala

I think there is a bit of a misconception here about sync speeds and IP profiles.  Your sync speed is governed by your line length and quality, and is determined automatically each time you connect by the DSLAM at your exchange and your modem, in accordance with the target noise margin as set in your modem (which will be 6dB by default).  There is no artificial limit imposed on your maximum sync speed (except in the case of more than 10 disconnections within an hour, which can lead to increased target noise margin, but this rarely happens in practice); it's entirely a hardware and line quality issue.  It is not limited either by the IP Profile (see below), or the Maximum Stable Rate attained during the initial 10-day training period after a new connection is setup.

By contrast, your IP Profile is the actual data throughput rate, not directly visible in your router info anywhere, which IS governed by your recent connection history.  If your sync speed drops below the minimum amount for your current IP Profile, the profile will be changed to reflect the new sync speed.  If you then resync at a higher speed again, it can take anywhere from just over an hour, up to 5 days, for your IP Profile to catch up (with larger differences taking shorter periods of time).

You can see from that, that there is nothing profile-wise or ISP-wise or BT-wise that is currently preventing you from syncing at a higher rate, for which reason my first piece of advice would be for you to actually reboot your router.  The second observation would be that in terms of your IP Profile, it doesn't matter how many times you reboot in a given period (this is a common misconception), it only matters whether or not your ever sync below the speed required for the IP Profile you want to achieve.

My final and most significant observation would is that I'm afriad you probably still have an upstream noise problem on your line.  I say that simply because your upstream noise margin does not bear the correct relationship with your upstream line attentuation or your downstream noise margin; there is something on your line that is causing a substantial amount of additional upstream noise, and this is likely the reason that you are not syncing higher than you currently are (a reboot may allow you to sync a bit higher, which is why I think you should try it, but it may not be stable and it won't be much of an improvement).  IDNet haven't found any more upstream packet loss for you simply because at present you're syncing so low; you won't get back to your 8128 sync speeds, and correspoding 7150 IP Profile, however until that line noise is sorted out, and your packet loss will start again once your sync speeds start to increase again.

I'd suggest you run a line test, or get the line investigated by BT, or check your filters or with the faceplate off etc.; all the usual troubleshooting steps.  :thumb:

LesD

Quote from: karvala on Mar 14, 2009, 20:35:32
in terms of your IP Profile, it doesn't matter how many times you reboot in a given period (this is a common misconception), it only matters whether or not your ever sync below the speed required for the IP Profile you want to achieve.

I would agree about reboots in a given time period or even power supply on/offs but it is the multiple disconnects that Rik referred to that should be avoided. I can speak from bitter experience after experimenting with my line about a year ago when simply removing the ADSL plug from the Modem/Router instead of powering off first too many times and ending up with an IP Profile of 135 kbps!  :eek4: Yes and then waithing three days for it to recover.

It was explained to me at that time that if the line "fades away" like with a power off or a reboot it is not seen as a line fault by the BT kit but pulling the plug causes a sudden loss of connection to the exchange and is seen as a fault. Too many of these sort of disconnects in a certain time frame does have a detrimental effect on your Profile I can assure you.
Regards,

Les.

Rik

On the subject of re-training and the 10 per hour trigger, take a look at section 8.5 of a BT PDF here.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

That's a useful read, Rik, thanks.  :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

What upstream noise margin are we expecting? Mine with a similar attenuation is 29dB but I am only connecting at 448 and obviously looking at the figures a full downstream sync should be obtainable.
Steve
------------

Rik

I'm not with you, Steve. Unless you're on Home SuperMax your u/s sync will be 448, and the NM will just depend on your line quality, but will usually be in the 20s.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

O.K is there  a difference in the upstream noise margin depending on whether your on supermax or normal with the same attenuation.
Steve
------------

Rik

Yes. On Max, my u/s margin was 21, on SuperMax, it's 9.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

So does your lower upstream margin therefore become more susceptible to noise? and is it effected by similar dslam controls if a noise spike occurs? In the OP the lowest margin is the upstream which is the opposite to mine @ 29 up and 15 down.
Steve
------------

Rik

It doesn't seem to be affected by noise in the way that the d/s margin is, Steve, iow it's never varied.
Rik
--------------------

HoriZon

Well through the night my sync has changed a few time its currently set at:

Connection Speed      6400 kbps    832 kbps
Line Attenuation         27.0 db      12.5 db
Noise Margin              14.7 db      10.0 db

Up time of 33 hours.

I have asked idnet twice over the phone if this modem is sending errors on the upstream and they said no on both times, they did say they could see these errors when i was synced at about 5400 kpbs on the old modem as well, it has new filters for both sockets as well and its in the master socket all the time.

Not going to start rebooting it all again as i feel this is what has got me here in the 1st place. Well until its fixed that is i know the odd reboot is fine just not what it was doing on the old modem.

Will wait to see what they say tomm and when i have interleaving set back to FAST as it was always on this and i used to sync at 8128 kbps all the time without fail.

Mainly use the connection for gaming as well so i want the best it can be!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions so far i know its not a major problem but when its not what i had its stressful :)

Rik

The 9db of extra target margin you've acquired is worth 1500-2100k of sync speed, so almost certainly you'll regain the speed as that margin falls.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: stevethegas on Mar 15, 2009, 10:29:32
O.K is there  a difference in the upstream noise margin depending on whether your on supermax or normal with the same attenuation.

It will be lower because of the higher upstream sync on SuperMax. :)

Ted

If interleaving is applied to a line running at 8128kbps the maximum line rate will reduced to 7616kbps.

See section 12.1 and 12.2 of the document in Rik's link.
Ted

Steve

Taken from Kitz "although BT state 7616 is maximum sync speed with interleaving, many instances of higher sync speeds have been reported by users. This is dependent upon your router being able to support S=1/2 mode which effectively combines two RS code words into a larger logical code word of 510 bytes (ANSI T1.413)."

Three routers which have achieved a higher sync than 7616 on my line when interleave was on are the Linksys wag54gs Speedtouch 565v6 (both over 8000) and Netgear DG834N (full sync). Routers syncing at 7616 BT2700HGV and Zyxel P660HW.
Steve
------------

Ted

I've also heard of people syncing over 7616 with interleaving on. Shouldn't be possible but clearly is :dunno:
Never heard of anyone syncing at 8128 though. (has anyone?)

I'm more inclined to think its something to do with the exchange equipment rather that routers (or maybe both). I've tried three different routers, Netgear, Linksys and several 2700's. Never went over 7616 until i had interleaving turned off. Got a Thomson 585 v7 but i got that after the change to Fast ;D, so i can't say with that one.

My point was that, the maximum line speed would be reduced to some degree, on a line where interleaving was turned on.
Ted

Sebby

Quote from: Ted on Mar 15, 2009, 14:56:37
If interleaving is applied to a line running at 8128kbps the maximum line rate will reduced to 7616kbps.

See section 12.1 and 12.2 of the document in Rik's link.

Though, just to confuse matters, some exchanges will still connect at 8,128k with interleaving enabled.

Ted

Ted

Sebby

HoriZon

I'm getting confused now, will having interleaving turned off and it set back to fast improve my connection to what it was or is it a case of time and to wait it out?

The NM is coming down slowly its dropped 2db in the last 24 hours.

Wish idnet worked on a Sunday !!! want to have my line tested as well now ???

Ted

It's confusing for me as well ;D

Basically, You probably won't be able to achieve full sync with interleaving turned on, although you may do (apparently).

However, even if you achieve full sync with interleaving on, it will almost certainly increase your latency (ping) which may be a problem for gamers.

ADSL, don't you love it! :whistle:
Ted

Lance

Noise margin targets drop by 3db every 14 days, as long as continuous sync is achieved. Any other changes are purely due to the noise on the line. Interleaving does not affect noise margins but can possibly affect the maximum sync available.
Lance
_____

Rik

What Lance said, HoriZon. A 2db drop is just a variation in noise margin, ie there's 2db more noise on the line now than earlier.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

Quote from: Ted on Mar 15, 2009, 16:21:13
I've also heard of people syncing over 7616 with interleaving on. Shouldn't be possible but clearly is :dunno:
Never heard of anyone syncing at 8128 though. (has anyone?)

I used to get 8096 with the netgear but only get 7616 with the 2wire.  It doesn't make any difference though, because of congestion I only get throughput of 1500 or something if I'm lucky.

HoriZon

Was on the phone talking to friend and after i checked my stats they have gone down again:

Connection Speed       5472 kbps        832 kbps
Line Attenuation           27.0 db         12.5 db
Noise Margin                 14.6 db        11.0 db

The phone could be the issue here? i will take it out.

LesD

Quote from: HoriZon on Mar 15, 2009, 20:44:54
Was on the phone talking to friend and after i checked my stats they have gone down again:

Connection Speed       5472 kbps        832 kbps
Line Attenuation           27.0 db         12.5 db
Noise Margin                 14.6 db        11.0 db

For your Target Noise Margin to reduce you will need to keep a stable Connection (Sync) Speed for the number of days mentioned in ealier posts. The Noise Margin you see in the 2700 Stats that you have quoted above varies, for me by time of day but the synch speed should not keep changing. This frequent change of sync speed looks like an instability exists and if using the phone causes it the phone could be faulty or not properly filtered. As you say it needs checking out!

Look under Troubleshooting DSL Diagnostics - here in my 2700, to see your target noise margin, Mgn1

Regards,

Les.

Ted

Quote from: LesD on Mar 15, 2009, 21:09:18
Look under Troubleshooting DSL Diagnostics - here in my 2700, to see your target noise margin, Mgn1

Les, think you must have misread somewhere, Mark has a Netgear DG834 v4 not a 2wire 2700hgv, 
Ted

LesD

Quote from: Ted on Mar 15, 2009, 21:39:29
Les, think you must have misread somewhere, Mark has a Netgear DG834 v4 not a 2wire 2700hgv, 

Ah you are almost right Ted but not misread just failed to remember! A sign of the times.  :blush: I must keep eating the blueberries.  ;)

That said the point I reiterated about keeping a stable connection is valid but I cannot remember where or if you can see the Target Noise Margin with a Netgear.
Regards,

Les.

Ted

Quote from: LesD on Mar 15, 2009, 21:59:03
Ah you are almost right Ted but not misread just failed to remember! A sign of the times.

Failed to remember what? :dunno: ;D
Ted

Steve

Probably of some use HoriZon if you start running routerstats you'll find it here it keeps a track of your downstream noise margin and will show you graphically when your connection takes a dive.
Steve
------------

LesD

Regards,

Les.

Sebby

Quote from: HoriZon on Mar 15, 2009, 20:44:54

It could be the filters. It might be worth replacing them...

HoriZon

Quote from: Sebby on Mar 16, 2009, 00:00:31
It could be the filters. It might be worth replacing them...

New ones on them both now, will ring idnet tomm to have the line tested.

HoriZon

Just an update:

Had interleaved turned off on Tuesday after phoning them on Monday it made little difference.

I left my modem on for the next day in the master socket and through the night the sync came down while it was connected! lowest was 4700 kbps.

Phoned them today and they have run a few more test and had BT reset my profile whilst i was talking to idnet the sync was 7200 kbps-ish when i came off the phone it is:

Connection Speed           8128 kbps    832 kbps
Line Attenuation              27.0 db       12.5 db
Noise Margin                   12.6 db       12.0 db

Going to leave it in the master socket for most of the day just cant leave it there 24/7 as i cant connect my other main PC to the modem or my Xbox 360.

Is resetting the profile putting me on that 10 day thing when you first get ADSL ?

Rik

No, a profile reset is a one-off. You should now be on 7150 and, unless your sync speed drops, which it shouldn't, your speeds should be fine.
Rik
--------------------

LesD

Quote from: HoriZon on Mar 18, 2009, 11:44:00

I left my modem on for the next day in the master socket and through the night the sync came down while it was connected! lowest was 4700 kbps.

This is the bit I can't get my head round.  ??? What brings your sync diown?

The only way I get my sync to change is by reconnecting my ADSL line to IDNet typically with a reboot or if something like a burst of noise makes the line drop and reconnect. This concept of the sync coming down of its own accord is alien to me. I believe something is forcing reconnections and each reconnection is at a different sync speed and what is causing these reconnections is what has to be discovered and fixed.
Regards,

Les.

HoriZon

Quote from: LesD on Mar 18, 2009, 20:44:35
This is the bit I can't get my head round.  ??? What brings your sync diown?

The only way I get my sync to change is by reconnecting my ADSL line to IDNet typically with a reboot or if something like a burst of noise makes the line drop and reconnect. This concept of the sync coming down of its own accord is alien to me. I believe something is forcing reconnections and each reconnection is at a different sync speed and what is causing these reconnections is what has to be discovered and fixed.

Thing is its not disconnecting the modem still reports the right up time and their are no logs in the routers logs that it has reconnected at all. It can change with-in the space of an hour or through the night but it does change its not fixed for me.

Latest stats after moving the modem upstairs:

Connection Speed            6976 kbps      832 kbps
Line Attenuation               27.0 db         12.5 db
Noise Margin                     9.1 db          12.0 db

I also know my throughput is set to 4000 kbps atm but idnet say this will improve in the next few days it used to be 6500 kbps before all this started if not higher.

LesD

Quote from: HoriZon on Mar 18, 2009, 21:57:16
Thing is its not disconnecting the modem still reports the right up time and their are no logs in the routers logs that it has reconnected at all. It can change with-in the space of an hour or through the night but it does change its not fixed for me.

It looks like my education is about to move on yet again when someone more knowledgeable that me explains this to me.  :)

It is like you are in BT's 10 day trialling period all over again but I don't think this can be the case.  ???
Regards,

Les.

Lance

The only way the sync will change is if the router has to reconnect to the exchange. This could be from a power cycle or noise burst for example. The sync will not just reduce without a reconnection.
Lance
_____

Sebby

I'm not sure why the router is not reporting the loss of sync events. If you're losing sync several times during the day, it suggests that there are bursts of noise occurring.

HoriZon

Quote from: Lance on Mar 18, 2009, 22:42:27
The only way the sync will change is if the router has to reconnect to the exchange. This could be from a power cycle or noise burst for example. The sync will not just reduce without a reconnection.

Well this is what its doing its not reconnecting as it would leave that in the logs and it wouldn't have the same time up for the line as the modem it self.

???

My old modem did this as well.

Rik

You're running a Netgear, so, get hold of a copy of Routerstats and leave that running for 24 hours.

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

Some versions of their firmware have not reported sync loss.
Rik
--------------------

HoriZon

Quote from: Rik on Mar 19, 2009, 08:40:33
You're running a Netgear, so, get hold of a copy of Routerstats and leave that running for 24 hours.

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

Some versions of their firmware have not reported sync loss.

Going to try this tonight good idea.

Also going to buy a new anti-surge ext lead where the modem is plugged into today!

On the newest firmware atm might go back one. Will try the stats and plug 1st though!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

HoriZon

New plug didn't do the trick i then thought about the internal wiring.

As i was getting 8128 kbps all the time (well since idnet did some messing their end as i wasn't a few days ago) when it was in the 'test socket' but not the extension socket or the main socket when the face plate was on.

First i removed all the wires which were going to the extension and put the face plate back on full sync!

I then read up a bit about it, as i was a bit nervous in doing this.

Removed the 'bell wire' most sites say this is a good idea, i then noticed the white/blue (number 5) one on the master socket was in the wrong place it was where the blue/white (number 2) should be!! looked at the extension one and they were in the correct holes so it seems its been wrong for bloody years thing is BT installed them years ago when they still did internal wiring as the upstairs extension is the old ISDN socket. (What's odd though, it was working at 8128 kbps for years in this wrong state before a few weeks ago???)

I removed all the wiring from both face plates re-stripped the wiring down and put them in the right place!

Tried the connection and full sync!!!!!

Connection Speed          8128 kbps    832 kbps
Line Attenuation            27.0 db        12.5 db
Noise Margin                  10.6 db      12.0 db

BusyBox v1.00 (2008.03.20-02:06+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 832 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                   G.DMT
Channel:                Fast
Trellis:                ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):       10.6            12.0
Attn(dB):       27.0            12.5
Pwr(dBm):       19.8            12.3
Max(Kbps):      8768            1128
Rate (Kbps):    8128            832
                        G.dmt framing
K:              255(0)          27
R:              0               0
S:              1               1
D:              1               1
                        ADSL2 framing
MSGc:           1               1
B:              255             27
M:              1               1
T:              1               1
R:              0               0
S:              1.0000          1.0000
L:              2048            224
D:              1               1
                        Counters
SF:             39352           39294
SFErr:          5               0
RS:             0               0
RSCorr:         0               0
RSUnCorr:       0               0

HEC:            3               0
OCD:            0               0
LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    12824947                0
Data Cells:     8241            0
Drop Cells:     0
Bit Errors:     0               0

ES:             5               0
SES:            0               0
UAS:            20              0
AS:             669

INP:            0.00            0.00
PER:            1.75            1.75
delay:          0.25            0.25
OR:             32.00           32.00

Bitswap:        0               0

Total time = 11 min 44 sec
SF  = 39352
CRC = 5
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 5
Latest 1 day time = 11 min 44 sec
SF  = 39352
CRC = 5
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 5
Latest 15 minutes time = 11 min 44 sec
SF  = 39352
CRC = 5
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 5
Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
SF  = 0
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
SF  = 0
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
Showtime Drop Reason:   0
Last Retrain Reason:    0
#
#

My throughput is still low but this should improve over the next few days atm its:

QuoteYour DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3715 kbps

Going to keep and big eye on it for the next few hours, days, weeks!!

Hope my throughput goes up again i used to get a much higher one! if not its only an easy call to idnet to make!

I hope this is an ending to it all!

Rik

Your profile will recover in the next few days. So often, wiring which was adequate for voice can prove inadequate for ADSL, even though it's worked for some time. Congratulations on your perseverance in tracking this down. :karma:
Rik
--------------------

HoriZon

I was sorta getting stressed out by all this its a annoying when its not working as it was :)

At least i have learnt a lesson check the wiring first all in all this has cost me time and stress and money (new modem, new extension lead)!!!!

Hope its fixed now! and i can stop moaning at idnet for something they cant control!

Rik

At least you can smile at the end of it. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

HoriZon

Well it stayed synced at 8128 for about 15 hours then it changed while it was on-line cos the noise went up :/

Now got it in the test socket where it will stay for a few days its still not on the full sync even here.

Connection Speed        7296 kbps       832 kbps
Line Attenuation            27.0 db          12.5 db
Noise Margin                 14.4 db          12.0 db

Got that routerstats program running as well.

This is looking to me an out side problem tbh.

Will give it a few days like this but i cant use my main PC or 360 while it stays like this as they are in the other room and not wireless.

??? ???

Rik

Long ethernet cable? It does sound like an external fault, get IDNet to take a look at the line again on Monday.
Rik
--------------------

HoriZon

Yeah i might try and get a long one tomm, kinda a pain tbh but what more can i try when its still doing it with 2 modems in the test socket, with new every thing ! ? :)

Phones unplugged as well atm.

IDnet still say the line is fine and its not that, but it has to be.

Rik

The risk is that, if they get BT out to you, and BT says the fault is your side of the test socket, then it's going to cost you £160+. :(
Rik
--------------------