whats the point of the out of hours fault reporting phone number?

Started by Tekhoi, Mar 14, 2009, 17:51:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Tekhoi

My ADSL line failed yesterday. On my return from work I called the out of hours number and reported the fault, I also sent an email.

As I haven't had a reply and my service is still down I have to ask whats the point of the number?

Simon

:welc:

Usually, they would respond to a loss of service, so I can't explain why they haven't.  Someone might be able to help here if you give us a few more details as to what your set up is, and what is / isn't still working.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tekhoi

Netgear DG834 Router (supplied by IDnet)

ADSL light is green

In the connection status window is:

==============================
Connection time : 00:00:00
Connecting to server: Disconnect
Negotiation: LCP is allowed to come up
Auth. ---
Getting IP : ---
Getting Network mask : ---
================================

I have rebooted the router
I have removed the router from the power supply for 30 mins then turned back on.

Thanks

PS: Currently using my mobile as a modem - hate to think how much it will cost me!

Kris

I too am experiencing the same as you guys.  It's not good as I have only just transfered over to IDNET for more stability  :(

I have some urgent work to be completing for a customer tomorrow and have chased by email and via the support number they give for out of hours support, but nada, so it's not looking good.

Surely if the servers were down, they would have some sort of fail over to keep the service up or alert, so they could alert there customers.

Dial up sucks!

Hey ho

Simon

Guys, I've put in a call to alert IDNet to this, and am email directing them to this thread.  Any further details you could provide would be useful, but I understand this might be limited if you have no service at all.  Sit tight, and hopefully someone will help soon.

By the way, as a consolation, welcome karmas to you both!   :red:
Simon.
--

Sebby

Tekhoi

> Are you guys sync'd with the exchange?

What does this mean? I've been using IDnet for around 6 months. 

zappaDPJ

Sebby is asking if your router/modem has successfully negotiated with the exchange which in your case Tekhoi would seem to be the case as you have a green light.

I had a similar problem recently when my connection dropped and refused to reconnect. If I recall correctly my issue was due to BT no longer forwarding the DNS I had been given so IDNet gave me a different one. It sounds like you have a login problem rather than a hardware issue but that's a complete guess.
zap
--------------------

karvala

Yes, it sounds like a PPP layer problem, which could be an authentication issue, or a stale session (perhaps most likely if it has just occurred out of the blue, and especially if you've been connected for a good few days prior to the outage), or something else entirely.

Obvious thing to try is to turn your router off for more than 30 minutes, and then switch it on again, which will often reset a stale session and get you going again.

mchunt_idnet

I've pm'd both users with problems and alerted the out of hours engineer. Tekhoi's problem looks like a possible service change on the pstn side of things.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Sebby

Kris

Hi Sebby,

I have replied to a post from Martin asking for further details, so fingers crossed he'll be able to help.

I have tried 2 different routers, neither of with will come up with the link light.  I have been in touch with BT who were of no use at all :(

Quote from: Sebby on Mar 14, 2009, 19:32:51
:welc: :karma:

Are you guys sync'd with the exchange?

Sebby

Quote from: Kris on Mar 15, 2009, 10:35:33
I have tried 2 different routers, neither of with will come up with the link light.  I have been in touch with BT who were of no use at all :(

That doesn't surprise me. :(

Unfortunately, you have to go via IDNet, unless it's a voice fault.

Kris

HI Martin,

Don't suppose you have heard anything, have you?  I'm getting desparate now.  If  don't get this work done today, my head is going to roll!

All I can add is that my internet connetion is up, but the ppp link light fails to come on, regardless of whether I use the master socket or not.  The oddity is that it was working fine Friday Night, But Saturday morning, no joy :(

I have been through all the config settings on the router and even tried a master reset, but nope, nada, zilch.  I'm not a happy boy!

2 Days without broadband and i'm crying, what is this world coming to!

Quote from: mchunt_idnet on Mar 14, 2009, 21:30:22
I've pm'd both users with problems and alerted the out of hours engineer. Tekhoi's problem looks like a possible service change on the pstn side of things.

Lance

Hi Kris,

It sounds like you may have a stale session - have you tried turning off the router for 30 mins to clear the problem?
Lance
_____

Kris

Yep,

Tried that!  It was off all night too, still no joy!

I have left it on for now so that they can do their testing, if they are testing it that is. 

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Kris, it might also be worth changing your password to something deliberately incorrect (anything). The router will then try to connect and fail. Then change it back to the correct password and see if that's shifted the stale session.

Kris

Thanks for all your help guys  :thumb:

Got a phone call confirming that they had checked my account and were able to bring my connection back up, so happy days :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I've had a problem today too, I call th :evil: OOH line at 5.45 tonight and Miriam called me back within 15 minutes, but we are not sure what was causing the problem as I could ping things but not connect to anything. I'm on my 'spare' router at the moment, so there is every chance that the problem is 2wire related.
Glenn
--------------------

JB

JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Glenn

It now looks like the cabling has failed somewhere in the house, I'm borrowing a cable tester tonight to check it out.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

I had that happen to me some years ago, ADSL simply stopped working. I didn't have an NTE5 master, instead the four extensions were crimped to the exchange pair and ran in a star topology, with the master on one of them. Something went out of tolerance and that was the end of my service. BT came out, fitted an NTE5 and re-wired the two extensions I needed, disconnecting the other two. It only cost me £60, which was pretty good, I thought. :)
Rik
--------------------