Looking to join IDNET

Started by Maverich, Mar 21, 2009, 17:38:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

g7pkf

Quote from: Maverich on Mar 21, 2009, 22:35:22
Thats fair enough and thanks for the heads up.  Where I'm living now is a bit out in the sticks and from what I saw when finding out info on the exchange there was only like 1,500 people connected to the exchange.  Fingers crossed all those 1,500 are not bandwidth hungry!!

At least you don't have trains like me to contend with, but i only have 359 adsl connections on my exchange.

no aluminum wire though    :D   

Maverich

Well over 48hrs later still no mac number  >:( why am I not surprised! Lets hope I get something soon. Want to become an official idnetter!!

Lance

The ofcom requirement is they have to give it to you within five days. I wonder if it is worth phoning them up and reminding them off that!
Lance
_____

Maverich

Well to be fair after today it will be 3 days, just frustrating at them saying they will send a text within 48hrs and not doing so.  I have tried to phone them and say this but all I got was "the mac code hasn't been generated yet, try later in the week"  I have heard many a horror story about getting mac codes, just hope that this wont turn into one.

Simon

It's even more frustrating, when we know they can give out a MAC instantly over the phone, if they choose to.
Simon.
--

Maverich

oh I didn't realise they could do that...will try again for one tomorrow, maybe it's who you get at the other end of the phone as to whether they want to help.

Simon

Or how much you threaten them!   :evil:
Simon.
--

Maverich

Now there's an idea!  See I was under the belief that if you treat people nicely and polite over the phone then they would be more willing to help......or maybe me being a soft touch is just easier for them to get me off the phone.  Threatening maybe the way forward...

Rik

I'd certainly let them know that you know that Ofcom require them to issue the MAC within five working days of your request, it usually lubricates the process. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Maverich

I'm in a good mood now  ;D just phoned Sky and got Mac over the phone.  Would I be better waiting for the Idnet sales office to open tomorrow or order online?  Want to make the process as smooth as possible, so excited!

Lance

I ordered online when I joined years ago and had no problems :)

Lance
_____

Simon

Ordering online is just as smooth as by phone, Rich.  You'll get a notification from IDNet as to when the service will start, but as soon as your account is open, you can use the facilities, such as email, webspace, photo albums and blogs.  :)
Simon.
--

Maverich

Thanks Simon, have just ordered online.  Gave my work email so wont see the confirmation until tomorrow. Hopefully all done.

Simon

I think it's a manual process, so you won't see a confirmation till tomorrow anyway.  :)  Welcome to ISP paradise!  :thumb:
Simon.
--

Sebby

Quote from: Maverich on Mar 25, 2009, 21:16:54
Thanks Simon, have just ordered online.  Gave my work email so wont see the confirmation until tomorrow. Hopefully all done.

Great stuff. You should get a confirmation tomorrow, I'd imagine. :)

Rik

If not, enquiring minds will want to know why not.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

We'll want to give someone a kick - for once it probably won't be the mail server. :laugh:

Maverich

Got to work and.....

Thank you for choosing IDNet to supply your broadband service.

Your broadband migration order has been successfully submitted and should be activated by 6pm on 31st Mar 2009

Looks all good  ;D is it likely to be activated before that date?

Ann

Probably that date but early in the morning.  When I got up I found mine had already changed over.

Lance

Indeed most migrations take place in the early hours. It might happen early but it usually is on the given day. We look forward to welcoming you proper!  8)
Lance
_____

Maverich

Well I'm happy the wheels are in motion and I'll be even happier when I'm fully migrated!!  Next step will be to maximise my speed....

Lance

Start reading the faq now if I were you  ;D

Pay attention to the internal wiring and ring wire bit for starters!
Lance
_____

Sebby

I recently put in an IDNet order for someone on a Wednesday, activation date was the following Wednesday, but when I set it up for them on the Sunday, it had already been activated. It just depends on the exchange, I think. :)

sfawcett2

HI all,
I'm in a similar situation I'm with sky connect with 6.5Mb (40db by memory) on the router and 4.5Mb tested on a speed tester up to about 5pm then it dips to 1~2Mb in the evening. My main use is VPN and remote desktop. So not a lot of Gb's downloaded in the Month. But oviously want the speed, SKy soooo slugish. Customer service pain in the neck.
I'm not sure if the exchange is overloaded (sandwich, kent live 3 miles away) or its SKY connect thats bad. But anyway I requested a MAC number a week ago with the intention of trying IDNET. Still waiting.
Then I would need to buy a router (like going to the sweetshop) which one? (wifi G required , 4 way switch).
Any recomends? Currently using some awful sky router with in built aerial quite low range.