What is OpenDNS and is it worth using?

Started by netgem21, Mar 31, 2009, 15:15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

netgem21

Hi

Just been searching the forum for OpenDNS and am wondering what it is and is it worth using? Threads from 2007 say IDNet DNS servers are better but what about now? Thanks

Rik

OpenDNS is a third-party organisation which offers a DNS service independent of ISPs. There are pros and cons in using it, it can be tailored to add extra security, for example, but, otoh, there is an extra delay in reaching the servers.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Dopamine

Quote from: netgem21 on Mar 31, 2009, 15:15:41
Hi

Just been searching the forum for OpenDNS and am wondering what it is and is it worth using? Threads from 2007 say IDNet DNS servers are better but what about now? Thanks

You'll no doubt get many informed replies from the more technically interested and skilled, but my experience as just an average web user is that in everyday use there is no discernible difference in speed or efficiency between OpenDNS and IDNet's DNS.

Simon

Having briefly tried OpenDNS a while back, I have to agree with Dopamine.
Simon.
--

Sebby

I prefer OpenDNS. I find it more reliable than any ISP's (i.e. it updates more quickly) and I find it just as quick. Plus it's very customisable. There you go, now you have to make a choice. :P

D-Dan

I agree with Sebby. Since I switched to OpenDNS I rarely get a 404 error, and generally, OpenDNS is smart enough to suggest what you may be looking for. There are other benefits too if you are prepared to spend some time setting it up (including shortcut URLs - eg - you could set up "netters" to point to "www.idnetters.co.uk/forums" so all you need in the address bar is "netters" and here you are :)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

Or you could just bookmark the site. ;D :out:
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Or put a link in the Taskbar, as I have. ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I have a link to all my regular sites in the links bar.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby