BBC is looking warily at the net

Started by Rik, Apr 01, 2009, 16:53:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

According to El Reg,
QuoteThe government is likely to change TV licensing laws to address the increasing number of viewers who choose to watch only via the internet, according to the BBC Trust.

In its review of TV licence collection (pdf) this week, the Trust said it was watching closely whether the availability of iPlayer and live streams of BBC channels was prompting households to abandon TV sets in favour of computers.

"Legislative change is likely to be required in order to reflect technology changes in the licence fee regulations," it said.

At present, no licence is required to watch catch-up TV on iPlayer. Live streaming services are covered by the same legislation as broadcast TV, and requires a colour licence, which as of today costs £142.50 anually.

They should have thought of that before they started pushing the iPlayer and threatening to name and shame ISPs. It would be ironic if their attitude then comes back to bite them. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

john

I know I've said thihs before but the present licencing system was designed when there was only one channel and relatively few households with TV sets. It is increasingly unsuitable to cope with the disparate ways of watching TV programs, not just at home but recieving them whilst mobile too. The old radio licence was abandoned mainly because of the introduction of the small portable radio and also because they were fitted as standard in cars and I can see the TV licence eventually being abandoned for the same reason. The sooner the Government and the BBC come up with a more appropriate method of paying for it without the overhead of paying a third party to try to collect and prosecute those who avoid it the better.

Rik

I'm with you there, John. Payment to be made from general taxation, with an independent body setting the annual budget?
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I really don't think that there is a significant number of people who are abandoning televisions because of iPlayer. It's just another way to squeeze more money out of us... Introduce a free service that's really handy, and when it's popular, tax it. :mad:

Rik

First rule of all ventures, speculate to accumulate. ;)
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Quote from: john on Apr 01, 2009, 17:31:32
disparate ways of watching TV programs

Don't you really mean DESPERATE ways of watching tv. ;D :evil: :out:
------
Alf :)

bobleslie

Perhaps some kind wizard will make the TV Licensing tax disappear, along with the BBC.   :solved:
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

David

Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

bobleslie

=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

David

QuoteOne veteran BBC executive said: 'There was widespread acknowledgement that we may have gone too far in the direction of political correctness.

Understatement or what  :mad:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

john

Quote from: bobleslie on Apr 01, 2009, 20:36:45
:lol:

I know. I know.

But one can only dream especially when you read this sort of stuff.

I agree Bob except that I would prefer the BBC to reform rather than disappear. There are some programs such as it's nature documentaries and drama that the BBC do very well but there is a lot of stuff which only appeals to a minority audience. Not that there's anything wrong with broadcasting some programmes which have a minority interest but they should not dominate the schedule. I also think that it tries to hard to compete for audience share with ITV with things like soaps and reality TV.

Quote'Unfortunately, much of it is so deeply embedded in the BBC's culture, that it is very hard to change it.'

Time for to put some people in charge that will make changes and insist that the others produce unbiased programmes then.

Dopamine

Quote from: john on Apr 01, 2009, 22:28:53
Not that there's anything wrong with broadcasting some programmes which have a minority interest but they should not dominate the schedule. I also think that it tries to hard to compete for audience share with ITV with things like soaps and reality TV.

You can't have it both ways. If you don't like the BBC trying hard to produce majority interest programmes, soaps/reality etc, in order to compete with the down-market channels (ITV, SKY etc), nor want it to fill its schedules with minority interest programmes, what do you suggest instead? This just illustrates how incredibly hard it is for any channel to produce universally popular output and scheduling.

Until a few months ago I didn't watch much TV, but a protracted period of ill health changed all that and also made me a strong supporter of the BBC. Their output is huge, varied, provided me with much that I enjoyed watching (and much that didn't appeal), available on TV, the web, radio, all for a yearly fee of £142.50 which, although a lot of money, is still excellent value when compared to SKY subscriptions, DVD hire etc. that many people voluntarily pay.

The BBC is uniquely funded and its ability not to have to chase advertising revenue and therefore ratings ensures that it's able to stay away from a diet of only lowest common denominator, mass market, junk programming. That then encourages/forces the commercial stations to try a little to compete with the high quality segment of the BBC's output.

Without the BBC, our choices would be substantially reduced. The licence fee is one tax that I'm completely happy to pay, and feel it offers excellent value.

Rik

I disagree to some extent, Dopamine. The BBC does chase ratings, in order to justify the licence fee, and it is full of empire builders - do we really need four 'main' digital channels and two dedicated to children when they aren't making or buying sufficient programmes to fill them, leading to endless repeats. Their best work, now, is only produced if they can find a co-production deal as they cannot afford to fund high quality programmes themselves.
Rik
--------------------

David

I simply feel we no longer need to have the BBC I think it fails the people that are "Forced" to pay for it whether or not they want it. its all sunbjective but they churn out so much dumbed down programmes ,do are unfair in what they choose to make annd broadcast and for me it should be a matter of choice,No matter how much you feel about Sky if you dont want it then fine....................
The BBC waste so much of the licence fee imo and it really is a matter of time before this corporation is,in its present form made to do what it is paid to do and that is to provide a TV service.

All I want is choice choice to see what I want to and not face prison because I own a TV set its no longer a licence fee its a tax and a fund for the fat cats at the BBC   :shake:

Gary

With ITV cutting back due to financial issues maybe the BBC should do the same and unburden the fee we have to pay for poor TV, I find myself watching less and less on BBC apart from BBC4 with shows like Charlie Brookers Newwipe, which shows just how bent out of shape modern viewing is, America seems to be brave enough to try new things, like Heroes for instance which proved to be a big hit and shows like the Wire, and with decent scripts and effects (where needed) it all just makes the BBC look like something that needs saving itself.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

I'm all in favour of that, Gary. I find I watch more on Ch5 than I do the BBC these days.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

If there was no licence fee, where would the BBC get it's funding from?  I certainly think most people would miss the BBC if it wasn't there, and equally, we don't want it funded by commercials either.  I don't object to paying the licence fee, but obviously, wouldn't complain if it was cheaper.
Simon.
--

Rik

For me, Simon, the question is scale. Does the BBC need to have so many channels, so many radio stations, so many highly paid presenters. A 'core BBC', which spent its money on programme quality, not endless repeats to fill multiple channels, would represent better value for money.
Rik
--------------------

David

Quality and not quantity ? I think this is the answer but there is those that say they have to compete ?I think they were best when They set the standard and not followed the others....

Rik

They were, but now it's a numbers game. :(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Radio is 'free', isn't it?  I agree, there's a lot of repeats, but over lots of channels, the effect of these are watered down, and they are sometimes handy for missed programmes.  Of the two children's channels, each are aimed at different age groups, so I don't think that's a waste.  What I would like to see is a dedicated sports channel, especially for big events, so that it doesn't disrupt normal viewing for those that are not sports minded.
Simon.
--

David

Its a good idea Simon but I think this should be extra for this channel especially if it includes Football,Cricket,Rugby and anything to do with balls.which covers most of my posts  ;D

Gary

I never understand the issue with adverts, all other channels have them and we cope give it a week or so and no one would notice, so why worry if the BBC has some, it may even provide interesting viewing between shows

Gary

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Apr 02, 2009, 10:28:58
Its a good idea Simon but I think this should be extra for this channel especially if it includes Football,Cricket,Rugby and anything to do with balls.which covers most of my posts  ;D
:lol:

David