BBC is looking warily at the net

Started by Rik, Apr 01, 2009, 16:53:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Quote from: Simon on Apr 02, 2009, 10:25:01
Radio is 'free', isn't it?

No, it's paid for by the licence fee, there's just no indication of the cost anymore.

QuoteI agree, there's a lot of repeats, but over lots of channels, the effect of these are watered down, and they are sometimes handy for missed programmes.

So's Sky+. :) IAC, how does the BBC justify putting a chat show on HD line, and repeating it the next night. It benefits little from HD, and if you only have one HD channel, why not use it better?

QuoteOf the two children's channels, each are aimed at different age groups, so I don't think that's a waste.

As a kid, we got along fine without TV, and when it did arrive, there was an hour or two of programming a day. Do we really want to sedate our kids with constant TV?

QuoteWhat I would like to see is a dedicated sports channel, especially for big events, so that it doesn't disrupt normal viewing for those that are not sports minded.

I agree with you, though they'd need more than one such channel to satisfy everyone.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Alagamate them into one organisation with lots of slots channels, then you just choose the station you want via genre or sport etc, be done with all of this competition and maybe we would get something decent by everyone working together for once
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

john

Quote from: Dopamine on Apr 01, 2009, 23:32:07
You can't have it both ways. If you don't like the BBC trying hard to produce majority interest programmes, soaps/reality etc, in order to compete with the down-market channels (ITV, SKY etc), nor want it to fill its schedules with minority interest programmes, what do you suggest instead? This just illustrates how incredibly hard it is for any channel to produce universally popular output and scheduling.

Surely there is more to attract majority audiences than soaps and Reality programmes. As I said in a previous post the BBC is capable of producing excellent Dramas and Documentaries. It has in the past also led the way in comedy programmes and I think these together with news, current affairs, arts/culture, history, films and sport (even though I personally don't watch it) should feature more prominently in its schedules and there would then be much to satisfy majority tastes. Those who like soaps and reality TV, and I agree there are many who do, are in my opinion adequately catered for with the independent channels. Whilst I admit it is difficult for the BBC to please everyone their present output attracts so much criticism that they appear to be pleasing very few.

Rik

It's the classic attempt to please everyone, John, you end up pleasing no-one. Back in the 80s, BBC2 and Channel 4 regularly showed operas, neither channel now do (or only very rarely), yet Sky manages to run a couple of arts channels which can do just that.
Rik
--------------------

bobleslie

I think the problem with the BBC is not so much its output as its involvement in politics and political correctness.

We should not be forced to pay for any broadcaster whose views are anathema to most people in this country.

It is a truly awful organisation which is clearly an anachronism.
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

john

I agree that the BBC does try too hard to be politically correct with the presumed intention of not offending anyone but with the result that it instead pleases very few.

I don't however believe it is beyond hope of reform yet but I would like it to accept that it needs reforming and the BBC and the Government should discuss a more efficient method of paying for it out of general taxation without incurring political interference. I would not like to see adverts on the BBC and anyway I believe the independent channels are struggling to attract sufficient advertising revenue. Even in its present state there are still things that BBC do well and it should build on these.

Gary

Quote from: john on Apr 02, 2009, 13:16:20
I agree that the BBC does try too hard to be politically correct with the presumed intention of not offending anyone but with the result that it instead pleases very few.

I don't however believe it is beyond hope of reform yet but I would like it to accept that it needs reforming and the BBC and the Government should discuss a more efficient method of paying for it out of general taxation without incurring political interference. I would not like to see adverts on the BBC and anyway I believe the independent channels are struggling to attract sufficient advertising revenue. Even in its present state there are still things that BBC do well and it should build on these.

I find the end credits to many of their programs to be very good or is that relieving, anyway maybe they should build on that idea  ;D ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 03, 2009, 09:24:54
I just find credits confusing. ;)
Maybe that's why I like them Rik, its like a game show trying to guess what its all about, and why they need so many damn flash backs and oddities, watching the program to find out the answers though would be boring cheating ;)

Rik

I've never understood, for example, what a 'best boy' is, or a standby carpenter. The credits above the title are even worse, with so many names I'm never quite sure who actually made the film.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 03, 2009, 09:33:50
I've never understood, for example, what a 'best boy' is, or a standby carpenter. The credits above the title are even worse, with so many names I'm never quite sure who actually made the film.
I don't think even they are half the time, Rik  ;) Best boys are assistants to department heads basically. Everyone involved in production pretty much gets a mention, which I suppose makes a change when so many like to take credit for so little these days. :eyebrow:

Rik

Though the unit accountants are not worthy of mention.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Apr 03, 2009, 09:55:44
Though the unit accountants are not worthy of mention.  :evil:
Accountant is a dirty word, Rik  >:D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

bobleslie

However, there are exceptions... :whistle:
=Bob=.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

bobleslie

=Bob=.

Rik

Around here, that's very wise - especially if you hear Jill approaching on her broomstick. :)
Rik
--------------------

bobleslie

=Bob=.

Rik

We don't all carry shovels for no reason. ;D
Rik
--------------------