Internet service and digital TV

Started by Moonshine, Apr 13, 2009, 10:37:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Phone into the second filter, Vit, the router can only go in the first as the second filter will have had the ADSL signal removed already.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

vitriol

I'll give it a try since I've got a few filters lying around.

Moonshine

Once upon a time......in the dark, melancholy days of analogue......for many years in Milton Keynes, one wasn't allowed to erect an aerial on one's rooftop. This was even specified in home-owner's deeds to their properties, as some kind of covenant.  The good people of MK suffered mercilessly at the hands of the city's (debatable??!!) officials, who clearly did not do battle with their consciences over such a petty issue. 

Basically, the officials in the 'new city' of MK didn't want the pretty (also debatable) rooftops of its houses looking ugly with unsightly aerials, and so there seemed to be a blanket rule that these were not allowed (in new properties, at any rate).  The good citizens of MK therefore had no option but to pay monthly fees to receive standard terrestrial TV reception to an organisation which was once known as 'Milton Keynes Cable', provided via underground cable.  This organisation then became NTL, who are now owned by Virgin Media.  I believe English Partnerships have since relaxed the rooftop aerial rule (well, they haven't got much choice anymore, have they?!), and many a house has since been spotted with such paraphernalia these days.

However, since the good ole days, whereby nobody had any choice here, I find I am still currently paying Virgin Media a monthly fee (albeit, it's only just under £4.00 pm) for a Standard Cable Pack, meaning I can watch analogue TV, and receive the usual terrestrial channels (I guess this would be the case up to digital switchover, at any rate).  Oddly enough, I can't seem to find this 'Standard Cable Pack' advertised anywhere at Virgin Media.  Could this be that it is an isolated package just for the privilege of Milton Keynes's residents?  Moreover, I have no idea what will happen come the digital switchover, i.e whether Virgin Media will still take £4.00 pm from my (and other residents in similar situations) accounts for providing us with the basic channels, or whether they will increase their fees and provide more channels, or whether the 'Standard Cable Pack' for £4.00 simply won't exist anymore, meaning such antiquated folk like myself who choose to live in the past have to uptake a different package altogether with Virgin Media. 

Having telephoned Virgin Media on a numer of occasions, and unfortunately having the disadvantage of getting through to Indian call centres, I gave up any hope of finding the answer to my questions.  The staff (for obvious reasons) had no idea about the 'Standard Cable Pack', and why residents such as myself have been paying it for as long as I can recall.  Heck, they think MK is a borough of London!  They don't understand the old MK lack of rooftop aerial syndrome, and did not appreciate my waning humour about concrete cows and roundabouts.

Rik, I am wondering that since I recall that you live in/near MK also, you probably know the answer to this.....do you know what will happen to those people who will continue to pay the Virgin Media monthly fee for the 'Standard Cable Pack' right up until the digital switchover??  Will they still be able to receive TV reception via Virgin Media, and will this basic service continue?  I have an elderly neighbour who also pays this £4.00 pm for this service, and it would be nice if I could put her mind at rest also.

Personally, I have decided to go with Sky, and get 4 months free then cancel prior to the end of then to avoid a monthly subscription.  However, I wondered whether it was worth me contiuing to pay the £4.00 pm to Virgin Media in addition to Sky - i.e in case there's ever a problem with the Sky signal, and also to receive the Hallmark Channel (okay, I like watching Monk!!) which Sky do not seem to transmit.  Is it okay to run the two together (Sky and Virgin Media) - are they compatible??! 

Sorry for my ignorance and naivety, but Virgin Media are about as useful as a Robin Reliant, and no-one else I've spoken to seems to know otherwise.

And they all lived happily ever after.......

The End.

Rik

Hi Moonshine

I stopped paying the fee to VM long ago, when they were still NTL, and I still have the service, though I don't actually use it. I do know that they have switched some of the channels to satellite or Freeview sourcing, probably the former, and my guess is that they will convert the rest and the service will trundle on. I've long since had a Sky dish, and now a terrestrial aerial too - the covenant is, as you say, no longer enforced.
Rik
--------------------

Moonshine

Thanks Rik.

Oh well, it may be that I can cancel my Virgin Media sub after all....especially if they don't bother to switch me off.

I wonder whether they actually bother to individually switch people off that have cancelled, or whether they wait until a number of people in the same area need to be switched off.  I would think switching off just one customer is more costly for them than it's worth???

Rik

The switch off requires a physical visit to the property to disconnect the cable, so I doubt they generally bother unless a particular segment has no paying customers on it. They may even, of course, be contractually required to provide the service. :)
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

don't forget get a friend  ;) to recommend you to sky and you both get £50 of

M&S vouchers.

if your short of friends i would be happy to recommend you (wifes birthday soon)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Moonshine

Interesting, Rik.  I will be cancelling VM now as soon as the Sky dish etc has been installed!!  Even at £4 pm, that's still too much if you can get the same for free. :)

Quote from: g7pkf on Apr 20, 2009, 12:49:06
don't forget get a friend  ;) to recommend you to sky and you both get £50 of

M&S vouchers.

if your short of friends i would be happy to recommend you (wifes birthday soon)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Funny that!  Someone else mentioned that to me yesterday, and I got my viewing card through today accompanied by a leaflet re: introducing a friend.  Bit late though, I think, since I've already ordered.  Besides, the leaflet doesn't say anything about the package I've bought - it just mentions contract packages.  I reckon Sky would not honour the "Pay Once, Watch Forever" package.

By the way.....what exactly is the viewing card for? ???  Is Sky not operational without it, or is it just for extra films etc that you have to pay for?  And does it ever expire???  Thanks.

Rik

The viewing card stores information on what channels you have access to, and is part of the decryption system. For your box to work fully, the card has to be paired to it. Sky replace the cards every 3-5 years, it's free of charge, and there is a replacement cycle running at the moment.
Rik
--------------------