slow vista

Started by Baz, Apr 20, 2009, 21:27:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

the wifes lappy seems slow recently so I wondered if any one has any tips on why, any services etc that can be disabled, any thing that does need to be running in background etc. that I could maybe try to see if it helps.

Ive done usual virus and spyware checks  etc and its clear. Have found that Defender was set to update every day I think and system restore to something similar so have changed them.Some thing connected with Media Player was also set for daily checks, cant remember what it was now, stopped that but it still seems slow.

Thanks

Glenn

Baz take a look here it should help, there are only 140 odd pages to go through  :evil:
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Vista is a sluggish and resource-hungry OS, period. But you can improve it slightly.

The first thing is RAM; it needs 2GB minimum.

Try disabling transparency too as that eats up a lot of resources.

Something else that slows it down a lot is indexing, so you can disable the Windows Search service in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

One last thing is the automatic system restore, which seems to run continuously, making the hard drive click away like crazy. You'll find that in Scheduled Tasks (somewhere in Accessories).

Baz

thanks guys will take a look at the link.its ok for RAM and I have already done the sys restore one but didnt know about transparency and indexing so will try them too.

:thumb: