IDNET e-mail problem

Started by zimmerframe, May 06, 2009, 12:33:21

Previous topic - Next topic

zimmerframe

When I joined in 2006, I set up 3 e-mail accounts for myself, my wife and my younger son who was still at home at the time.

I set up accounts using the @idnetfreemial.co.uk type.  There were changes a while ago when the @idnet.com type was offered but I never bothered to change.

My mail still works fine but my son, (who has since moved out) reports that more often than not, when he sends a mail, it bounces back as undeliverable with the message something like "Not part of idnet" or some such.

He sent me a mail last night with no problem, (which was a job application & CV for me to have a look at for him) When he tried to send it to the recipient he got an undelivarable message as above.

His ISP is Virgin broadband, could that be the problem?  I dont see how as I have pointed Outlook at the idnet post boxes.

I have set him up an @idnet.com account but have yet to configure his MS Outlook for this account.

Are there any reasons why he should be getting this problem?

If The World Didnt Suck, We'd all Fall Off

kinmel

Most ISPs reject smtp from outside their domain name.

You will need to set up his email client to use the Virgin smtp server, I think that is   smtp.virgin.net
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

None that I can think of, Zim, unless the freemail address is being refused by some sites. It's probably best if you call support. Or what Alan said. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

As Alan says, I reckon that's the problem. You probably can use IDNet's mail server, but you'll have to change the settings in the mail client to say that the outgoing server requires authentication.

zimmerframe

Quote from: Sebby on May 06, 2009, 13:47:34
As Alan says, I reckon that's the problem. You probably can use IDNet's mail server, but you'll have to change the settings in the mail client to say that the outgoing server requires authentication.

Thanks for the replies folks, what would allowing authentication entail?  It did seem odd that he can send e-mails to me OK.

If The World Didnt Suck, We'd all Fall Off

Gary

When I was with O2 I had to use Idnet's pop3 for incoming, but use the outgoing server requires authentication method and put O2's smtp details in and password for it to work on the idnet.com addresses.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

You'd need to set the machine up to use port 587 for SMTP, Zim, with no SSL.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.