connection troubles

Started by elenmirie, May 17, 2009, 17:55:56

Previous topic - Next topic

elenmirie

Hi all... After 3 years of impeccable IDNet service I've had dreadful problems over the last couple of days... up and down like a jackrabbit!  I've rebooted my router more times than I can count, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm in Maidenhead, Berks.

Anyone else having problems?

???

Rik

I've seen one report on ThinkBroadband of someone losing PPP, that's now in hand with support. Be very careful of repeatedly re-booting your router, more than 10 times an hour and you will trigger the dynamic line management software to try and stabilise your line, in effect it will slow your connection.

What's actually happening, are you losing sync, PPP or what?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

My connection has been fine, I'm just down the road in Sandhurst, I believe we share part of the back haul in to Kingston.
Glenn
--------------------

elenmirie

Rik - thanks for the tip about rebooting router. 

I'm not sure what I've got... the connection drops (can't ping anything, no DNS) and when I look at the connection status on the router admin it says "LCP allowed to connect" but it is not connected.

Sometimes it comes back after a while on its own.  Sometimes I reboot and it is still the same.  Sometimes I reboot and it is again connected.  All day (last 12 hours or so) and probably lost connections about 2 or 3 times per hour.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks for your help!

Rik

What router are you using?
Rik
--------------------

elenmirie

Rik

OK, can you post your line stats please (downstream sync speed, noise margin and line attenuation). If you're not sure how them, type http://192.168.0.1 into your browser address bar, hit <enter>, then enter your router login and password, then Router Status > "Show Statistics" Button.

Are you seeing the ADSL light go amber and start to flash at any time?
Rik
--------------------

elenmirie

stats: (sorry about lack of formatting)

System Up Time 00:20:17
Port    Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN    PPPoA    1188    1334    0    394    681    00:19:37
LAN    10M/100M    141    10    0    31    1    00:20:13
WLAN    11M/54M    2941    2727    0    1324    566    00:20:09

ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    3040 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    42.0 db    29.0 db
Noise Margin    15.6 db    20.0 db

elenmirie

I haven't noticed amber lights, but the router isn't in my usual line of sight.

Rik

It's OK, Netgears are like that. :)

The bad news is that, as I feared, DLM has cut in and increased your target noise margin to 15db in an attempt to stabilise the line. That's costing you about 1.5M in speed right now. If you feel brave, run a BT speed test (you may need to be patient), http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/. That will show us your profile.

It might be worth running Routerstats (http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm ) for a while, to see what's happening to your noise margin over time, but I really wouldn't expect you to re-sync from a 15db margin unless something is wrong with the line.

Try the BT test, then consider calling IDNet, you could use the out of hours number (01462 476556) or email support@idnet.net. James is on call this weekend, so you'll be well looked after. ;)
Rik
--------------------

elenmirie

Thanks Rik... the connection has held for a while so maybe  :fingers: it's ok now...

I've emailed support so we'll see what happens. 

Rik

Keep us posted will you? :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It sounds like you've been losing sync, which would suggest noise on the line or some other problem. Keep and eye on it and get back to us if you lose stability again so we can help you look into it further. :)