Should I Join IDnet

Started by wecpcs, May 15, 2009, 16:27:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebby

Quote from: Phantom on May 28, 2009, 09:18:39
Thanks for all the replies I shall have to look for the return label! The contention rate should be good but for some reason the network just dies around peak time. The exchange serves only a small number of households compared to my previous exchange (where I had no problem).

I would be looking at the home max package as the supermax is a little out of my price range.

Are you on O2 Access, out of interest?

Phantom

Quote from: Sebby on May 28, 2009, 09:26:01
Are you on O2 Access, out of interest?

Yes I am

Which is why im a little hesitant that there will be any improvment with anybody as they will all be using the same BT equipment there are no LLU ISPs present. I have not actually raised the issue with 02 as I dont believe there is anything they can do. The problem i assume is a lack of capacity.

Phantom

Thanks for the replies so far, I am not as stupid as my questions would suggest! :)

Rik

There's no such thing as a stupid question in my books. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gyruss

The only 'stupid' is not asking a question in the first place.

Anyway, as late as i am, i can concur in the positive experience of being with IDNET, they have their technical issues just like any other isp, but my experiences thusfar has been very favourable from the initial connection to the overall level of service received as a customer.

Naturally, experience of speed and connections will differ from area to area in the UK as some areas cannot obviously achieve the highest speeds, but with various upgrades going on to improve this, its a constantly changing scenario anyway.

When i bought in Sky+ recently, their sales team pestered me like crazy to take on their broadband package aswell, but I was fortunate to be in the same office as a chap who's already on their broadband and i witnessed first hand his frustrating calls to their tech support due trying to find out why his speed was so bad.  Of course I didn't take them up on their offer :)

IDNET has been probably my favourite ISP thusfar, I play the MMO 'World of Warcraft' (at the moment), and I see whole hosts of guild members dropping offline periodically that are on the same isp, and while they all drop, i continue playing on.  That kinda tells you your with the better ISP :)
Jase

Sebby

Quote from: Phantom on May 28, 2009, 09:30:10
Yes I am

Which is why im a little hesitant that there will be any improvment with anybody as they will all be using the same BT equipment there are no LLU ISPs present. I have not actually raised the issue with 02 as I dont believe there is anything they can do. The problem i assume is a lack of capacity.

I would think that IDNet will be significantly better, though it could be general exchange congestion.

Phantom

This website seems to suggest no issue with congestion

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Hoo&exact=1768&plugin=vp

Looking more likely I shall call 02 for that mac key lol

Rik

The only problem with that report is the sentence "There may still be an exchange problem, however BT are not currently reporting that they are aware of it." Often, BT don't keep the public data current, presumably to make life easier for themselves. :(
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

As I say, I would think the problem is actually O2's non-LLU service being over-subscribed (they problem don't invest a lot in it as their main business is LLU).

wecpcs

Quote from: Phantom on May 28, 2009, 08:58:39
Thanks Glenn.

I assume they lease different equipment then? (from BT)

and potentially a stupid question do Idnet provide a router etc? Anyone have past experience returning their o2 router? what is the process?

I came from O2 recently and when you cancel they send you a large jiffy bag (very quickly), with a Freepost returns label and you have to return the router within 30days of contract end or they will charge you for it. Also make sure you get a 'Proof of Posting' from the PO, just in case it gets lost, because they will ask for it.

Colin

Simon

Simon.
--

Dangerjunkie

Hi,

If you join IDNet on Home Supermax or one of the business tariffs (any plan that promises "traffic priority" at the exchange) then you won't be on the same equipment. These accounts are registered with BT Wholesale as business accounts so you get on the lower-contended business ADSL muxes and links from the exchange. Even if you picked a lower tariff and ended up on the same mux the main path your data takes to/from the exchange will change so I would consider it worth a try.

In Q3 off this year your exchange will be converted 21CN which will mean you can change to ADSL 2+ if you like. This is a totally different system and you will definitely be on different gear whatever tariff you chose.

Cheers,
Paul.

Phantom

The netgear router which is available for purchase is adsl2+ compatible I assume?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Phantom on May 28, 2009, 09:30:10
Yes I am

I had incredibly low speeds after moving and having to go on the O2 access package, for myself changing back to IDnet has been great and no more capacity issues, my exchange has no issues with congestion and O2 did try and point the finger there, but it was their lack of capacity that caused the problems for me
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

mist

Another first poster here, my o2 Access contract finishes on June 13th <big sigh of relief>, after asking for suggestions on DSL Zone pros and cons etc I have been pointed in the direction of IDNet, also read your forum on TBB.

My exchange is NDNEW (Kent) and shows as a Market 1 with green, Line Attentuation 55db, BTw line checker shows my line as capable of 4megs or greater, must warn you all that I am totally non-techy, but run a Netgear DG834N and try to monitor my noise thingy with router stats lite., oh yes am wired into one of those special bt thingys with no extensions and the DECT phone is double--filtered 'just in case'  :P see I have tried to learn reading forums ;D

Pasted is the sort of issue I have been experiencing for the past few months and I am looking for an ISP which will allow me to do silly things such as use my PC for on-line shopping, facebook etc in the evenings when himself is watching the footie through the inside of his eyelids ;D

O2 have asked me to run the btspeedtester on a very regular basis and it would appear to me that most of the time they give me a decent throughput, its something going wrong with the o2 end

15/05/09 19:50 554.60 Kbps 373.84 Kbps
15/05/09 11:29 3742.49 Kbps 376.09 Kbps
14/05/09 22:07 502.49 Kbps 375.32 Kbps
14/05/09 17:55 1290.93 Kbps 376.42 Kbps
14/05/09 08:21 3759.94 Kbps 375.92 Kbps

Do you think that IDNet would be able to offer me a better service ?

Rik

Hi Mist and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

On the Netgear, if you hit the 'stats' button, you'll see your downstream sync speed and noise margin, could you post those please. My attenuation is 57.4db, and I sync at 4000 with interleaving on and a target NM of 9db, profile is 3.5M.
Rik
--------------------

mist

Quote from: Rik on May 29, 2009, 16:39:00
Hi Mist and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

On the Netgear, if you hit the 'stats' button, you'll see your downstream sync speed and noise margin, could you post those please. My attenuation is 57.4db, and I sync at 4000 with interleaving on and a target NM of 9db, profile is 3.5M.

Thank you.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4512 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.0 db 31.0 db
Noise Margin 5.3 db 18.0 db

I was synching at 4576 or 4544 but made mistake of switching off router when I went on holiday recently  :( had a 4meg profile now 3.5 meg

Rik

You need a further 32k to move back up to 4M, Mist, frustrating, isn't it. :( As I would expect, you're doing better than me by about 500k, most of which is down to my 9db target margin. Your line would appear to be 'quieter' than mine, so able to run at 6db. You might benefit from a 2-Wire 2700 router which, for most of us on long lines has improved stability and sync speed, it's worth about 500k on my line.

I'd expect you to see fairly stable throughput of 3200k with IDNet on your current profile.
Rik
--------------------

mist

Quote from: Rik on May 29, 2009, 17:12:00
You need a further 32k to move back up to 4M, Mist, frustrating, isn't it. :( As I would expect, you're doing better than me by about 500k, most of which is down to my 9db target margin. Your line would appear to be 'quieter' than mine, so able to run at 6db. You might benefit from a 2-Wire 2700 router which, for most of us on long lines has improved stability and sync speed, it's worth about 500k on my line.

I'd expect you to see fairly stable throughput of 3200k with IDNet on your current profile.
Thank you, will now await the 13th June to get my MAC and join you.

I will look into the router that you mention but have found my Netgear has the Wireless range I need, Plus <big grin> holds sync to nearly zero in awful weather or blasts of noise from odd events.

Rik

Netgears are notorious for misreporting the NM, Mist. Mine used to go down to -2db before resyncing, technically impossible. :)

I think you'll be happy with IDNet, we are generally satisfied with the service, as you may have gathered. If you do need help between IDNet and the forum, we'll soon resolve any issues.

Do you know if you're on a WBC-enabled exchange? If you are, you could benefit from a bit more speed and a higher bandwidth allowance.
Rik
--------------------

mist

Quote from: Rik on May 29, 2009, 17:57:52
Do you know if you're on a WBC-enabled exchange? If you are, you could benefit from a bit more speed and a higher bandwidth allowance.

21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available

I hope to resynch this weekend to try and regain that extra 32k, but a stable throughput along the lines that you have mentioned would be bliss  :)

Thank you for all your help

Simon

Simon.
--

quandam

Quote from: mist on May 29, 2009, 20:53:19
21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available

I hope to resynch this weekend to try and regain that extra 32k, but a stable throughput along the lines that you have mentioned would be bliss  :)

Thank you for all your help
Hi! Mist

It was me who pointed you in the direction of IDNet via DSL Zone (under a different username) Glad you have found your way here. Once you have got your MAC point it in this direction, you will not regret it for one moment.

Listen to what Rik and the guys say as it is well worth taking note of, they are a great help in almost everything. Welcome to IDnetters :thumb:

mist

Quote from: quandam on May 29, 2009, 21:11:05
Hi! Mist

It was me who pointed you in the direction of IDNet via DSL Zone (under a different username) Glad you have found your way here. Once you have got your MAC point it in this direction, you will not regret it for one moment.

Listen to what Rik and the guys say as it is well worth taking note of, they are a great help in almost everything. Welcome to IDnetters :thumb:

Thank you very much indeed, I am truly grateful.

I have already tried to read on here about the router suggested but <very very sad> the info. is way above my head, as I said totally non-techy, I really do need 'plug and go'  ;D, but I am looking forward to browsing all the info.and learning as much as I can on here.