Any Knowledge Of This Piece Of Kit?

Started by quandam, May 24, 2009, 12:28:05

Previous topic - Next topic

quandam

Anyone have knowledge or views on this piece of technology?

http://www.datawind.com/html/Coverage.htm (£108.00 with Amazon)

All comments and thoughts welcomed. :thumb:

Rik

I haven't come across it, or the firm, Q, but I have a 'too good to be true' tingle in response to their website. Apart from the lack of spell checking, it has a lot of 'Americanism' about it. Their system seems to be based on supplying cached data, so I'd want to know more about how efficient their servers are and how frequently they are updated. Their free usage is not that great either, ~40 minutes/day.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

I don't know that much other than what I've read from reviews. The general consensus seems to be the hardware quality is reflected in the low price and that the interface is somewhat clunky. Web pages seem to be delivered very swiftly due to high compression techniques which focus on textual content. The downside of that is very poor quality graphical content.

In general it seems to be a case of you get what you pay for. I had a vague interest in one but the reviews convinced me that there are better options around for a little more money.
zap
--------------------

Sebby

I've seen it advertised a few times. Personally, I don't see the point of it. It seems like the kind of gadget that we'd have seen about 5 years ago.

cavillas

I'd like to know where they have there transmitters and who runs them?  Or is it just from wi-fi hotspots.  There doesn't seem to be much information regarding that hardware side of things.
------
Alf :)

Rik

It was all a bit vague,wasn't it, Alf.  :(
Rik
--------------------

talos

Rik

Rik
--------------------

talos

No cure Rick.  Caught it in my youth, suffered from it ever since, severe attack last week from all the MP news ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

quandam

Thanks for the comments chaps. It appears that most don't think much of it :thnks:

Lance

It makes a change for us to actually be saving someone money! We must be slipping!
Lance
_____

Sebby

:lol:

I think Rik was having an off day. :tongue:

Simon

He was concentrating on making his 100000th post!  That, and tonight's meal, of course.  ;D
Simon.
--

Rik

:rofl:

Moi? I never concentrate on food...  ;D
Rik
--------------------