Problem with Yahoo Mail UK

Started by Noreen, May 28, 2009, 11:10:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

I've been trying to change my email contact address for Yahoo to use. I recently noticed that it was still f2s. ;D I changed it to an IDNet address and that has to be verified. So they sent me an email to the new address which contained a link to go to verify. That takes me to a Yahoo sign-in page, when I sign in I receive a message saying that the verification email was out of date as it's only valid for 5 days (note that I tried to verify immediately after receipt) and that a new verification email will be sent. This then produces the same result. I've gone round in this circle numerous times now. :mad:

I am currently in contact with Yahoo Mail UK Support and having a devil of a job getting them to understand what's happening. For instance they said that it could be my ISP's spam filter stopping me getting the email. ??? I am now awaiting my third email from them. I've said that the problem must be at Yahoo's end, anybody got any ideas?   

Rik

Have you looked at the headers, Noreen? They may explain what's going on. Copy the header, and paste it in at:

http://www.levinecentral.com/mail%5Fparse/default.aspx

it will analyse it for you, and will highlight any issues.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noreen

No I haven't, Rik. Can you explain a bit further?

Rik

Which email client do you use?
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Rik

Ah, never used that one. Is there an option anywhere to examine the header? (In Outlook, it's called Options...)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

This might help. Once that's done, I believe you right-click on the message and select Properties.

Noreen

I can look at the "properties" with no problem. What I meant was could you explain further about how that site was likely to help me.

Rik

If you paste the header into the site, it will analyse it and report any anomalies. If that doesn't help, PM me the header (so you don't have to worry about erasing bits) and I'll take a look.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

OK, I'll get on the roundabout again. ;D

Rik

Time for tea, said Zebedee. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

About to send the header to you, Rik.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Thanks for your message, Rik. I've just clicked on the link in that email and after signing in I got the same message.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

That's plain daft - let me just re-read the header... brb
Rik
--------------------

Rik

OK, I've double checked it. The dates are the same, there was a 6 second delay at Yahoo for spam checking, a 127 second delay at IDNet for the grey-list check, then a 2 second delivery time, total of 2m 15s. There has to be a bug at Yahoo in the link somehow.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I'm sure it is, but is the date and time correct on your computer, Noreen?

Noreen

Quote from: Sebby on May 28, 2009, 12:10:39
I'm sure it is, but is the date and time correct on your computer, Noreen?
Yes.

Sebby

Has to be a Yahoo problem, then. You'll have to let them know.

Noreen

This is the latest email that I had from them.
QuoteThanks for writing to Yahoo! UKIE Customer Care.
We apologise that you have had difficulty verifying your alternate email
address. The verification process is in full working order, but it has
come to our attention that some email providers are preventing proper
receipt of our verification emails. Your email service may be using a
filter that interprets the verification email as spam. You may need to
use a different email address as the alternate.

Please let me know if you still need help.
I replied to that, explaining the problem again and am awaiting a reply.

Ray

I've just successfully verified a new email address on my Yahoo account using Outlook 2007, wonder if the problem is something to do with Windows live mail?
Ray
--------------------

Noreen

I think that at least one problem is that they don't seem to understand what's happening. I've managed to delete the f2s address and made Yahoo my main contact address (just for now) and deleted and then re-entered my IDNet address but it has to be verified. I've emptied my temp folder and can't think of anything else to try.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Solved it! ;D I highlighted the 4 line verification link in the Yahoo email, copied it into the address bar and it worked straight away. So the answer was NOT to click on the link as instructed but cut and paste. Hurrah! ;D

Sebby