ADSL2+ with an ADSL1 router - a few Q's

Started by rich_b, May 29, 2009, 09:12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

rich_b

Hi all,

Well ADSL2+ is available at my exchange, however I currently only have an ADSL1 modem/router (a Draytek Vigor 2600+ in my case).

Firstly, I've been told (by IDNet support) that an ADSL1-only router won't connect to an ADSL2+ enabled line, but I've also found some posts saying they will - can anyone offer their experience of this?

Secondly, if the answer is 'no', rather than replacing the 2600+ completely, can I instead get an ADSL2+ modem-only that does PPPoA (phone line side) to Ethernet (e.g. Draytek 120), and put my 2600+ into PPPoE mode, connecting the WAN port of the 2600+ to the Ethernet port of the modem?

P.S. I realise that some Draytek's seem to currently have problems with ADSL2+, but I'm hoping these will be solved.

Many thanks for any help,
Richard.

Gary

As far as I know you do need an ADSL2+ modem/router, you should be able to pick up a modem only easily enough, but I do not know much about Drayteks it should work I would have thought as many people use separate modems and routers, but there can be oddities with different brands now and then  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma: As Gary says, basically you do need an ADSL2+ modem to connect to WBC, I'm not sure whether there is a fallback to ADSL1, but if support are saying no, I'd go with them.

You should be able to get a modem to meet your needs, but I'm not sure what benefit you would gain from it. Is there a feature of the Draytek you particularly want to retain?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

rich_b

Thanks for the replies (and the welcome, I'm another ex-F2S customer happy with the switch to IDNet - support took a maximum of 9 minutes to answer my queries).

Rik - I use the VPN termination and USB print server on my current 2600+, and to get these again means the Vigor 2820 which is quite a bit more of an outlay than just a new ADSL2+ modem.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Noreen

Quote from: rich_b on May 29, 2009, 11:20:25
Thanks for the replies (and the welcome, I'm another ex-F2S customer happy with the switch to IDNet - support took a maximum of 9 minutes to answer my queries).
From another ex-f2s customer, you've definitely made a good move.  :welcome: :karma: