Faceplates

Started by pup, May 10, 2009, 23:14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

pup

I have and "old style" phone faceplate at the moment, does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have a NTE5 master socket fitted (a filtered one) I use idnet for phone, line and bb.

cheers
Pup

Sitting on the fence......
And Laughing at both sides.

Gary

Quote from: pup on May 10, 2009, 23:14:01
I have and "old style" phone faceplate at the moment, does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have a NTE5 master socket fitted (a filtered one) I use idnet for phone, line and bb.

cheers

£160 unless you know a BT engineer.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on May 11, 2009, 00:17:11
£160 unless you know a BT engineer.

Although it would mean transferring your phone calls to iDNet, they will install a new line for £108.  Might be worth looking at. 

kinmel

Some people do it themselves simply by extending the 2 wires from inside the existing faceplate to their own ADSL filter plate/box next to it. Solwise sell the necessary BT parts for you to do it.

Any extension wiring is then transferred to the front adsl faceplate

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Sebby

Two things you can try. Firstly tell BT you want to add extensions but you can't because you have the old style master socket. Sometimes they'll then add an NTE5 for free. Otherwise, ask them how much it would cost. I have a feeling it's less than the £160 call out charge.

Rik

It can be as little as £25 if you get someone who knows how to book the job.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Presumably, that wouldn't be someone in Calcutta.  ::)
Simon.
--

Sebby

Rik

Quote from: Simon on May 11, 2009, 21:28:03
Presumably, that wouldn't be someone in Calcutta.  ::)

Probably not. :)
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

If you were to do it yourself, BT basically have not got a clue on who has and has not got one.

just ensure you get a proper BT badged part these are readily avalible from fleabay for a couple of pounds.

Of course you can mess it up but if you can wire a plug you can wire a faceplate.

and now the disclaimer proceed at your own risk if you do mess it up bt will charge 150 for a call out.

I know a friend smashed his faceplate with the hoover called out BT £159 later (parts i think).

when i said i could have fixed it "for a drink" he was not a happy chappy.

kinmel

Quote from: g7pkf on May 13, 2009, 09:58:25
If you were to do it yourself, BT basically have not got a clue on who has and has not got one.

They don't know anyway, BT engineers often fit them on the QT, they must claim to have replaced existing boxes elsewhere to have these "spares"
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

g7pkf

Or sell them on fleabay  ::)

kinmel

Either way, D.I.Y. saves serious money
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

pup

ok cheers ppl, i think i know what i will be doing. ;D  btw tacitus im already with idnet for calls and line ;D
Pup

Sitting on the fence......
And Laughing at both sides.

g7pkf

sorry personal hate acronyms

ppl          ??????????????????????????

kinmel

Quote from: g7pkf on May 13, 2009, 20:51:18

PEOPLE
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

Sebby

Quote from: g7pkf on May 13, 2009, 20:51:18

Get with the times. :)x :tongue:

Dangerjunkie

Hi,

I stopped and had a chat with a BT engineer who was working on a roadside cabinet. I told him I was going to put ADSL in for a female friend of mine (true). He was really nice and gave me an NTE5 out of his van as it freed him up from having to go round her house on a £30 callout if she booked it. Sometimes asking nicely does it :)

Cheers,
Paul.

Sebby

Stories like that show that there is some hope. :)